IGNORED

Older Ladies playing golf....

GrahamD
Note: This thread is 4335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i guess the one thing you can be certain of, is that

Fixed that for you.

I was never slow, because I was responsible enough to learn the etiquette before I ever went out.
  • Upvote 1

Bill

Fixed that for you.

I guess thats simply not how it is where im from, though i guess saying ALL is many times too broad a stroke to take. Beginners take a lot of strokes to get to the hole which equates into being slow I would think. If you were never slow, you probably must have been either naturally gifted or spent a lot of time at the range working on your swing before you ever went on the course. Most new players spend little time practicing much less have any concept of etiquette and have swings that are hard to watch, sometimes so bad that I wouldnt even know where to begin to help them. I think many newbies try to rush everything thinking that will make them hit the ball further, the only thing that goes further is the clump of dirt they dig out with their swing and then cant find where the ball went. If you have a group of 4 like this, imagine how long it would take to play 9 holes, much less 18.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

The group of ladies was obviously not following the etiquette properly, but that does not warrant cursing and the behaviour your friend showed. How about you go up to them next time and ask if they are aware of how they should let groups through to speed up play. If that would not work, call the ranger and let him sort it out.

Old ladies perhaps not knowing how a course work is one thing, but juniors acting like that worries me more.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Beginners take a lot of strokes to get to the hole which equates into being slow I would think. If you were never slow, you probably must have been either naturally gifted or spent a lot of time at the range working on your swing before you ever went on the course.

It wasn't that (although I did spend a lot of time on the range before my first real round, I was still pretty sucky)... it's like I said, I had researched the etiquette so I knew that once I had spent too much time on a hole, I needed to picked up. I still do that often to this day if I've reached my ESC.

Most new players spend little time practicing much less have any concept of etiquette...

No argument from me - and I wasn't really bent at all by your original comment, just wanted to point out not all beginners are slow (only 99.9999999% or so, by my reckoning.)

Bill

How is it the OPs fault because if him hitting in to the ladies with a 3w 300 yards away is reported then the staff will turn around and say that is a freakishly long hit for a 3w it was not his fault his cousin ranted at the ladies

It wasn't that (although I did spend a lot of time on the range before my first real round, I was still pretty sucky)... it's like I said, I had researched the etiquette so I knew that once I had spent too much time on a hole, I needed to picked up. I still do that often to this day if I've reached my ESC.

Its hard for me to know how slow i was at the beginning, I always scrambled with a friend so if i hit bad shots, we usually just used his as he had played longer. By the time I was playing by myself, I was good enough that i could keep a decent pace. I think the fact that these were older ladies has less to do with this than that they were beginners. As far as studying etiquette, maybe courses should really stress that, its usually just assumed that people know it and it can create problems sometimes. Kind of like driving, you have to know something before you are allowed behind the wheel, maybe new golfers should be encouraged to learn basic things like pace of play, respecting the condition of the course, not hitting into the group ahead of you, etc before they ever step foot on a course. I guess not knowing can be the most frustrating part, does the group ahead of you know you're faster and should let you play through? Does the group behind you know they're supposed to wait until you get far enough ahead of them that they couldnt possibly hit you? You hope they know but you're not always sure.

In my bag
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Ok, I am about your age, and I know that we like to play quickly. I mean, lets face it. I usually zip through 18 in a matter of 2.5 hours. But when there are elder people (ladies none the less) ahead of you, you need to show a little respect. I know I hate to be held up, trust me. If you just ask, most people will let you through. Even if they didn't you could go ahead and call a marshall out to them. No need for the language. Especially to your elders. Sounds like your friend needs to show some respect.

Usually the club can sort things out, and there is no reason that you couldn't have gotten past them when they went in for coffee..

No offense, but it seems like your friend lacks respect, and you lack patience. Its golf. If you go out there and are in a rush to get off, then this isnt your sport. Now if the conditions favor a quicker pace, then take advantage of it, but when people are ahead of you to where you cant play at a excelled pace, then no need to rush.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

OP, you need to learn how to ask slow players if you can play thru. if theres an issue, you can politely tell them that you will call the course to have them send a ranger out to deal with the matter.

and on a lighter note, this thread made me think of Soylent Green.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How is it the OPs fault because if him hitting in to the ladies with a 3w 300 yards away is reported then the staff will turn around and say that is a freakishly long hit for a 3w it was not his fault his cousin ranted at the ladies

It is his fault that he thinks that his rude cousin was funny, expects everyone else to share his prejudices, claims to be "good friends with all the staff" who he expects to support his cousin's rudeness, and then boasts that he is Junior Club Captain and doesn't get the point that he is supposed to set an example to others. It was his responsibility to approach the women kindly and responsibly. Obviously, he was never going to do this because of his immaturity, but he should have been man enough to tell his cousin that he was out of line.

The problem wth the OP is that he thinks that behaving like a pig is OK if others are as ignorant as he is and think it's all a bit of a laugh. If he is still Junior Captain, it speaks volumes for the standards this club accepts.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I had a similar experience not so long ago: I had a two couples of mature golfers in front of me, who were playing slowly. Up to this point, I have already learned that patience is a very important part of this game, so I wait for every shot until they were at a safe distance before I hit my shots.
Unfortunately (for them), that day I was hitting the ball surprisingly well with my driver, so I hit my ball in two consecutive holes when they were out of sight (literally, first they were down in a dry creek, and in the second hole they were behind a tree; I normally barely make it to those references with a good swing), and my ball reached the ladies when they were hitting their shots. I didn't shout fore, by the way, mainly because I was not aware that they were there.
After the second driver, one of the gentlemen came back to me and asked me to be patient and polite, because I almost hit them twice. I didn't know it at the time, so I apologize and waited a little longer for the rest of the round. I don't know if they forgive me, but I understand it if they didn't; they don't know that those might be two of my best drivers ever, all they know is that I almost hit them twice, so they were entitled to be mad at me.
Anyway, my lesson that day is that I have to be a little more patient, and that once I learn to manage my impatience, I'll be a better golfer. Cheers

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

Yes, sounds like a little bad behavior all the way around here. There is nothing worse than having to follow a super-slow group all day...except seeing your grandma get cussed out. That stings, too. Especially if grandma packs a .22 in her golf bag...

I see you live in Ireland, wasn't there a pub or two on the front nine that you could have stopped at to have a drink and pass some time...?

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

I had a similar experience not so long ago: I had a two couples of mature golfers in front of me, who were playing slowly. Up to this point, I have already learned that patience is a very important part of this game, so I wait for every shot until they were at a safe distance before I hit my shots.

If someone is hitting the ball that much farther than me and I was holding them up, id certainly let them play through, as im sure they were playing from much shorter tees than you were and you were still ahead of them. If they were that slow, a few more minutes letting you play through wouldnt have mattered to them. When they approached you, that would have been a good time to have asked them to let you play through, if they refused, then you at least tried, explaining that you had been practicing a lot lately and were hitting the ball much better and still trying to figure out how far you hit your driver. Ive noticed that on tour, players wait all the time, they just simply dont space out the tee times enough, i guess they would never finish if they did.

In my bag
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°

An old girlfriend of mine (I mean she was a gf in the distant past - not a current one who's a cougar - that one's for you, Fat Slice),...

Hahaha. OK, that's even funnier than you think because I am 47 and my wife is 24.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Couldn't you have just played through while they were having coffee after their 9th?

That's what I was thinking. Any time this happens to my group we just pass the slow players at the turn. I know it's frustrating though... my last three rounds have had me behind slow players who hit from the back tees and should have been playing the forward tees. Not only that, but they were taking multiple tee shots. We called the ranger from our cell phone and it was taken care of.

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

That's what I was thinking. Any time this happens to my group we just pass the slow players at the turn. I know it's frustrating though... my last three rounds have had me behind slow players who hit from the back tees and should have been playing the forward tees. Not only that, but they were taking multiple tee shots. We called the ranger from our cell phone and it was taken care of.

I was

in the slow group yesterday. The 2 guys the schmuck starter paired us with (even though they could have gone off before us no problem - there was a 2 group gap and it was 08:30 in the morning) were in a powercart but they were complete jabbering idiots. My buddy was getting slower and slower - spraying the ball worse and worse - I thought he was gonna bury his putter in "Buster's" forehead on number 8. Anyway, I called the Marshall over on the 9th fairway and asked it he minded if we took a 10 minute break after nine - just me and my buddy - we sent the other two on ahead and never saw them again. My buddy had a sandwich and a pop, calmed his nerves, and he shot a 40 (in one hour and 35 minutes) on the back nine. Sometimes you gotta step up and admit you're part of the problem. Those old ladies do sound like hags, but the OP is a punk - I'm just glad I don't play that course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't care to go read what started been yall with the last few post but would someone lead by example at drop it?

About the OP. I'll give my few cents. As others have said, both parties were wrong. Today I played with two friends, which one rarely plays and the other has just started, while I've played all my life. Having played with my father growing up has taught me a lot about being patient. Back to today, the friend who just started hit probably over 150 shots, plus he dropped and hit a second most every time. My patience was tested but I just laugh it off. While playing in school tourneys I spent most of my time waiting on others ahead of me that end up shooting 120. Over time I have learned to not let it effect me mentally, although it does physically as I do get stiff sometimes. The course I normally play at has no marshals so your left to hoping if you do get behind somebody that they are generous enough to let you through. I wasn't there so I can't say be for sure exactly what happened and who said what and what was being thought, but one thing is for sure, you can act as you like but don't expect to be respected. If you take your time and enjoy the GAME of golf and I believe you will actually be rewarded for that, wether it in your play or its of the course. Patience, no matter how long you have to wait, is a virtue.

In my bag.

Driver R7
Woods S9-1 F (3 & 5)
Irons MP-67 (3-pw)Wedges Tom Watson Classics (GW, LW)Putter: Classic 1Ball Pro V1 or Tour i(s) just cause I can get them at Walmart

is it just me or did 90% of people who responded to this thread miss the fact that the old women showed HORRIBLE etiquette in not letting the people behind them play through? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they had not been totally clueless as to what was going on around them and let the faster golfers play through, the entire confrontation would not have occurred in the first place. And then to run up to the tee to tee off after the boys had played through and they had been playing slow as molasses up until that point? I have absolutely no problem with women golfers - my wife and mother in law are both very good women golfers and I enjoy playing with them very much - but i do have a problem with horrible golfers who are also clueless and hold up the entire course, whether they be men or women. More often than not, this tends to happen with either large groups of women or elderly people...that's just the way it is.

On the other hand, there is no excuse for shouting obscenities at anyone, especially your elders. I definitely agree that both parties were in the wrong, however this entire situation could have been avoided had the older, more mature golfers involved showed a little course awareness and politeness.

P.S. for those who say that OP should have ASKED to play through, it seems from his post that he's insinuating that the women made this impossible by not waiting at the next tee for the boys to get there. It's hard to ask someone to play through when they are already 80 yards down the fairway...but maybe it's just me.

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

Note: This thread is 4335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!