IGNORED

Tiger moving on without a swing coach

GrahamD
Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
there may not be a player in the game today that knows more about the golf swing than Tiger woods.

IF that were the case, then you'd have to be willing to say he has physical limitations which prevent him from swinging the way he clearly knows how he should, eh?

Nobody hits the ball to the right as often as Tiger Woods. He's struggled to hit driver and he's struggled with "getting stuck" for how long - he can't figure it out? Why does he talk about being "on plane" so often and yet get off plane from the moment he takes the club back? I think his knowledge of the golf swing has been drastically over-stated. I can't say with any accuracy but if pushed to give an answer, Tiger's knowledge of the swing rates at about a C, I think. That's different from his ability to actually SWING a club, of course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
there may not be a player in the game today that knows more about the golf swing than Tiger woods.

IF that were the case, then you'd have to be willing to say he has physical limitations which prevent him from swinging the way he clearly knows how he should, eh?

Nobody hits the ball to the right as often as Tiger Woods. He's struggled to hit driver and he's struggled with "getting stuck" for how long - he can't figure it out? Why does he talk about being "on plane" so often and yet get off plane from the moment he takes the club back? I think his knowledge of the golf swing has been drastically over-stated. I can't say with any accuracy but if pushed to give an answer, Tiger's knowledge of the swing rates at about a C, I think. That's different from his ability to actually SWING a club, of course.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe Tiger and John Daly should hook up and analyze there swing at HOOTERS! That seems like a good match for the two.

My Home Course http://www.golfcluboftexas.com
Driver- Taylor Made Burner
Hybrid- CPR 22 Deg.
Irons- Taylor Made Burners 4i- AW
Wedges- Cleveland 54, 56, 60 DegPutter- Cleveland Classic 2 Ball- Callaway IxBag- Ben Hogan Stand Bag

Whether you love him or hate him there may not be a player in the game today that knows more about the golf swing than Tiger woods.

Nick Watney? Bubba Watson? Tom Watson? Charlie Wi? Starting in the Ws.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Whether you love him or hate him there may not be a player in the game today that knows more about the golf swing than Tiger woods. His challenge is that he can't see himself while swinging so he loses that feedback. I'm sure if you put a video of him on screen he could diagnose every issue as good or better than the swing guru's.

i'd much rather take a lesson from a player like y.e. yang or an ian poulter, players who were former teaching pro's, before i took one from tiger. that being said, i bet earl woods forgot more about the golf swing than tiger ever knew.

I think the problem with Tiger's swing at this point is paralysis by analysis. He is so caught up in the mechanics of the swing instead of just trusting it, he is over analyzing to the point of messing up his swing even more.

I think we all go through the same stage of over analyzing faults with our swing. Once it gets into your mind, it effects your swing and your confidence.

My guess is, Tiger is not leading with his lower body with his driver. That's what happens to me when I start to miss right. It is because I try to hit it with my arms instead of letting the legs lead. Maybe Tiger is still hesitant about his surgically repaired knee making him a little bit more hesitant in letting his legs lead the down swing.

Hey but what do I know. I only know that is what happens to me when I start to hit right...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think the problem with Tiger's swing at this point is paralysis by analysis. He is so caught up in the mechanics of the swing instead of just trusting it, he is over analyzing to the point of messing up his swing even more.

Maybe he's doing a padraig harrington on it?

Win back to back majors and then start fiddling with your swing.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I wouldn't say it's a physical limitation but rather mental block between what the mind believes is happening and what the body is actually doing. There is a MASSIVE difference between diagnosing a fault you see on video and actually physically performing a movement that cures the fault. If that weren't the case then there wouldn't be any need for swing instructors or "gurus". I can look at my own swing and instantly pick out the faults, feeling them in the middle of my swing or getting my body to not do them is an entirely different matter.

If any athletic endeavor were as simple as "here's where you should be at postion A, B, C, D & E now go do that" then we'd all be super athletes and shoot nothing but sub par rounds. I'd be interested to hear what you base that "C" grade on though.
i'd much rather take a lesson from a player like y.e. yang or an ian poulter, players who were former teaching pro's, before i took one from tiger. that being said, i bet earl woods forgot more about the golf swing than tiger ever knew.

Here's my only problem with that thought. A lot of teaching pro's are scratch golfers yet with all their swing knowledge they're not the ones out on tour. A biblical knowledge of swing thoughts and positions doesn't guarantee anything. If anything, I'd contend that it may make it worse.

If swing knowledge were the only variable then Haney and Harmon would dominate the PGA tour.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

• Administrator
I wouldn't say it's a physical limitation but rather mental block between what the mind believes is happening and what the body is actually doing.

He's one of the most physically gifted athletes. It's not a mental block. Not with video. Not with Tiger. Watch his practice swings - he thinks he needs to do the kinds of moves he makes in his swing. The disastrous moves.

The only thing that's allowed him to continue to win is his natural talent - what he can sometimes do in the foot before and after impact - and a steady short game.
I'd be interested to hear what you base that "C" grade on though.

Again, watch his practice swings. If he thinks THOSE are anything close to being "on plane" like he wants to talk about - or if he thinks his club pointing well to the left at the top when his shoulders have turned that much and the arms are where they are is "on plane," then he's kidding himself.

As for the specifics, peh. He's got an average knowledge. Nothing great. Many players know more about the golf swing than Tiger Woods (Steve Elkington may be tops among active players). Others know less. He's average. I think he's a "do-er," not a "think-er."
If swing knowledge were the only variable then Haney and Harmon would dominate the PGA tour.

Funniest thing you've ever said on this forum. Hank Haney can't even fix Charles Barkley and Ray Romano. He had the driver yips in his own game and he's given instruction to the best player in the world, perhaps ever, and yet Tiger can't stop depositing the golf ball well into the right rough (or, when he tries to save it, flipping it into the left rough). Tiger Woods hits the ball in the right rough more than ANY OTHER PLAYER on the PGA Tour.

Yet Hank Haney couldn't figure out how to fix it. Hank Haney's no golf genius. If it weren't for Tiger Woods most golfers wouldn't even know who Hank Haney is.

The only reason Tiger went to hank was probably because of Marc O'Mera, his good friend who went to hank.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

He's one of the most physically gifted athletes. It's not a mental block. Not with video. Not with Tiger. Watch his practice swings - he thinks he needs to do the kinds of moves he makes in his swing. The disastrous moves.

So how do you suggest he fix his swing? i'd like to hear how you think he should do it. I'm just interested. Cheers

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
So how do you suggest he fix his swing? i'd like to hear how you think he should do it. I'm just interested. Cheers

Answered it several times. Not really interested in re-capping it here. Short version: eliminate the loop by getting his hands on plane from the start, not on top of the plane.

You know what they say, "A Dr. that treats himself has a fool for a patient". That being said, I am not so sure Tiger would score much better if he were hitting the fairways. The guy has such a great get out of the "ruff" play, (previously) didnt let the bad drive "shake"him. His mental game is far superior, or was.
Confidence is a major part of the game. If he can find a coach he has confidence in, will he be back or are we to the place where Tiger wont win them all? There comes a time for all great players?
Tiger needs a coach. Just like a horse needs a trainer. If he could fix it, he would have already taken care of it. Who? Foley-maybe. Plummer-Bennett, definitely. Harmon-been there and done that. I think it comes down to finding someone who appreciates his greatness and will "tend" to him.

I think it comes down to finding someone who appreciates his greatness and will "tend" to him.

That's what the cocktail waitresses were for!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Many players know more about the golf swing than Tiger Woods (Steve Elkington may be tops among active players).

Martin Ayers coaches Steve Elkington now, since April 17th. I was there that Saturday in NJ when Steve first took a lesson from Martin, after missing the cut the day before.

Martin Ayers coaches Steve Elkington now, since April 17th. I was there that Saturday in NJ when Steve first took a lesson from Martin, after missing the cut the day before.

Not sure who's coaching who there!

Did I really hear this in the middle, where they're playing? "How far is it?" "223" "Big six?" "Yup."

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

The guy has such a great get out of the "ruff" play, (previously) didnt let the bad drive "shake"him.

The problem now is with the new grooves he can't hit out of the rough as good as he used to.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 5066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!