IGNORED

300 yard drive, what's the big deal?

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

300 yard drive, what's the big deal???? simple...The vast majority of golfers only hit the ball 210-215  with carry and rollout.

If you are hitting the ball even 240 you are in the < 20% of golfers, 260 upper 7%, 300 yards with roll is  <1%

Now here is where it gets interesting, average male mid handicap (12-22 HDCP) states they hit the ball 250 yards, put these guys on a launch monitor it more like 220-230yards on a consistent basis.

[QUOTE name="pxc" url="/t/36625/300-yard-drive-whats-the-big-deal/18#post_473226"] I would be thrilled with a 250 yard driving average that consistently landed in the fairway.[/QUOTE] I've yet to manage to hit a 250 yard drive thus far. However I've been driving around 210-220 straight down the middle lately....and it feels so amazing. I can't imagine what a 250-275 consistently straight drive would feel like.   My brother and a couple of his golf buddies can drive the ball 275 yards+, not consistently...and they get into trouble a lot. I'd rather just be playing from the fairway right now thank you very much.

You will get your 250 if you keep hitting like you say. 220, mid summer, dry fairways, light breeze at your back....becomes 250. I hit it similar distance as you, and in the middle of summer, I can get a few out to 250.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

What a troll ! where's erik when we really need him

You need me to tell you to ignore someone you think is a troll?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes there are 12-15 handicaps that can hit the ball 300 on occasion.  I play with a 10 that hits the ball 300+ a couple times a round.  It's not his putting, it's not that his drives miss the fairway every time....  It's his approach shots that miss the greens that keep him a 10.

What gets me is the people that say "if I hit the ball 300, I'd be a scratch golfer"...  No, you might shoot some lower score, but it won't make you a scratch golfer.  Just because someone is a 15 doesn't mean they can't hit the ball 300.  It might mean they don't hit the fairway all the time, may not hit 10 greens a round or have 30 putts....

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

300 yard drive, what's the big deal???? simple...The vast majority of golfers only hit the ball 210-215  with carry and rollout.

If you are hitting the ball even 240 you are in the < 20% of golfers, 260 upper 7%, 300 yards with roll is  <1%

Now here is where it gets interesting, average male mid handicap (12-22 HDCP) states they hit the ball 250 yards, put these guys on a launch monitor it more like 220-230yards on a consistent basis.

I just can't contain myself on this because I'm one of the high handicap guys that can put one out there 300 anytime I decide to really go at it. Not an average but definitely obtainable. You say the vast majority of golfers hit the ball 210-215 with a driver???? Who the hell are these people who are hitting a driver 215? I think it is the older crowd 60+ because NONE of the people I play with no matter what handicap they are are hitting that short.  Most people are are around 240+ and these are for the non athletes. I'm a former athlete and most of the guys like me hit it 250+ easy.  I think some of the negativity from this board regarding people "bs-ing" about their yardage comes from guys who just simply can't admit other guys hit it farther than them.

What really pisses me off is that somehow they elevate pro golfers to superhuman level and will argue all day that the smaller pros like Rick Fowler, Louie Oosthuizen etc... can consistently hit the ball 300+ but for some reason a 6'3 200+ ex basketball and football player like me can't possibly do it.  That is infuriating beyond words to me that these people don't know me and will outright call me a liar.

I understand that the pros hit the ball perfectly almost every time, I do.  But don't insult me by saying some 5'6 guy weighing 140 lbs and not even near my strength level  or athleticism is going to out drive me 100+ yards consistently. I know the pros are good and their ball striking is almost perfect but it does not mean they can generate more speed than guys like me.  I know plenty guys that can bomb their driver but not hit it straight.   Today I played in a group with a guy who was an ex college football player.  He could not get the ball up that well but when he did catch it, it went 260+.  Today was the first time he ever played a round of golf.  Well if that is the case how is it possible for a guy with no so called golf mechanics to hit the ball that far? Answer: because he's friggin powerful!

I outdrove guys today off the tee with a 4 iron and they were hitting driver. Why, because they were not as athletic, or tall or strong as me period other than that one guy. My swing turn was bigger and my clubhead speed was faster.

In short, your handicap has something to do with how far you can hit the ball with your driver but not everything.  However, I do agree that a high handicapper is highly unlikely to "average" 300 yards but don't sit here on this board and say they "can't" drive a ball 300 yards.  That is simply not true and it's bs.  I watch Stacy Lewis hit 260+ yrd drives all the time but for some reason a full grown man can't outdrive her is ridiculous. Also, Michelle Wie and Lexie Thompson hitting 270.

@RightEdge it's really being said that it's impossible for people of higher handicap to hit it 300 yards. It is unlikely though. I've been told there is no way that I could hit the ball as far as I do also. Thing is, they were right about how far I thought I averaged and how I was mistaking how far I was hitting the ball sometimes. I falsely thinking that using the markings on the courses was an accurate way to gauge my distances. Since I've started using a gps to measure my shots I still see that I'm hitting the distances I though, but my carry isn't as far as I thought on my drives. My iron shots were basically what I thought they were though, so there's at least that. People think, as did I, that if they hit the ball from the tee and it sits 150 out on a 450 hole that they hit it 300. But, if you cut a dogleg then you actually didn't hit it 300. Little things like that will cause people to be mistaken.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

[QUOTE name="Spitfisher" url="/t/36625/300-yard-drive-whats-the-big-deal/36#post_994753"]   300 yard drive, what's the big deal???? simple...The vast majority of golfers only hit the ball 210-215  with carry and rollout. If you are hitting the ball even 240 you are in the < 20% of golfers, 260 upper 7%, 300 yards with roll is  <1% Now here is where it gets interesting, average male mid handicap (12-22 HDCP) states they hit the ball 250 yards, put these guys on a launch monitor it more like 220-230yards on a consistent basis.  [/QUOTE] I just can't contain myself on this because I'm one of the high handicap guys that can put one out there 300 anytime I decide to really go at it. Not an average but definitely obtainable. You say the vast majority of golfers hit the ball 210-215 with a driver???? Who the hell are these people who are hitting a driver 215? I think it is the older crowd 60+ because NONE of the people I play with no matter what handicap they are are hitting that short.  Most people are are around 240+ and these are for the non athletes. I'm a former athlete and most of the guys like me hit it 250+ easy.  I think some of the negativity from this board regarding people "bs-ing" about their yardage comes from guys who just simply can't admit other guys hit it farther than them. What really pisses me off is that somehow they elevate pro golfers to superhuman level and will argue all day that the smaller pros like Rick Fowler, Louie [COLOR=222222]Oosthuizen etc... can consistently hit the ball 300+ but for some reason a 6'3 200+ ex basketball and football player like me can't possibly do it.  That is infuriating beyond words to me that these people don't know me and will outright call me a liar.  [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]I understand that the pros hit the ball perfectly almost every time, I do.  But don't insult me by saying some 5'6 guy weighing 140 lbs and not even near my strength level  or athleticism is going to out drive me 100+ yards consistently. I know the pros are good and their ball striking is almost perfect but it does not mean they can generate more speed than guys like me.  I know plenty guys that can bomb their driver but not hit it straight.   Today I played in a group with a guy who was an ex college football player.  He could not get the ball up that well but when he did catch it, it went 260+.  Today was the first time he ever played a round of golf.  Well if that is the case how is it possible for a guy with no so called golf mechanics to hit the ball that far? Answer: because he's friggin powerful![/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]I outdrove guys today off the tee with a 4 iron and they were hitting driver. Why, because they were not as athletic, or tall or strong as me period other than that one guy. My swing turn was bigger and my clubhead speed was faster.  [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]In short, your handicap has something to do with how far you can hit the ball with your driver but not everything.  However, I do agree that a high handicapper is highly unlikely to "average" 300 yards but don't sit here on this board and say they "can't" drive a ball 300 yards.  That is simply not true and it's bs.  I watch Stacy Lewis hit 260+ yrd drives all the time but for some reason a full grown man can't outdrive her is ridiculous. Also, Michelle Wie and Lexie Thompson hitting 270.[/COLOR]

Would it be insulting to tell you I think Jamie Sadlowski could out drive you by a 100 yards? He is a pretty small guy.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@RightEdge  I don't think it's really being said that it's impossible for people of higher handicap to hit it 300 yards. It is unlikely though. I've been told there is no way that I could hit the ball as far as I do also. Thing is, they were right about how far I thought I averaged and how I was mistaking how far I was hitting the ball sometimes. I falsely thinking that using the markings on the courses was an accurate way to gauge my distances. Since I've started using a gps to measure my shots I still see that I'm hitting the distances I though, but my carry isn't as far as I thought on my drives. My iron shots were basically what I thought they were though, so there's at least that. People think, as did I, that if they hit the ball from the tee and it sits 150 out on a 450 hole that they hit it 300. But, if you cut a dogleg then you actually didn't hit it 300. Little things like that will cause people to be mistaken.

I agree with you on how people are measuring their distances.  Yes, you need to be correct in how you are getting you yardages. I just take exception to these short drivers on this board letting their pride get in the way and tearing down anybody that doesn't say he hits it 220.

I agree with you on how people are measuring their distances.  Yes, you need to be correct in how you are getting you yardages. I just take exception to these short drivers on this board letting their pride get in the way and tearing down anybody that doesn't say he hits it 220.

So explain how you have a 25 handicap with your 300+ yard drives?

James

Would it be insulting to tell you I think Jamie Sadlowski could out drive you by a 100 yards? He is a pretty small guy.

There are always exception to the rule but on average a guy weighing 180 lbs is always faster than a guy weighing 280 lbs. A guy weighing 220 lbs is usually stronger than a guy weighing 140 lbs.  On average a 6'3 200+ lb guy with average swing mechanics will be able to at least match a 5'6 140 lb guy as far as distance pro or not. I may be wrong but speed, strength and athleticism doesnt care if you are a pro or not.  I know some of us think pros are gods and they are awsome as far as precision but come on man, distance and power are not restricted to just pros.

So explain how you have a 25 handicap with your 300+ yard drives?

Why don't you explain to me how long drives equal low scores? If that is the case no pro golfer alive would have a snowball's chance in hell against the long drive champion now would they?

I can hit the ball 400+ yards but don't because it makes me tired. Plus it makes the game too easy and boring. What's the big deal about 300.

me too, I find the round is over too quick when I am always getting hole in one's on par fives so I purposely hit in the rough to make the round last longer

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

I play regularly with a guy who hits it 300 several times per round.  His 3 wood is usually ten yards past my good drives.  He hits his 8 iron 180.  He put a ball on a green on Saturday from medium rough, 240 out with a 4 iron.

And he sucks.  Shot like 108 on Saturday.

"Witty golf quote."

I play regularly with a guy who hits it 300 several times per round.  His 3 wood is usually ten yards past my good drives.  He hits his 8 iron 180.  He put a ball on a green on Saturday from medium rough, 240 out with a 4 iron.

And he sucks.  Shot like 108 on Saturday.

Exactly!  People on this board are equating long drives to golf skill level and it's not a simple as that.  I have only been playing a short while and I have primarily practiced on hitting driver and irons period.  I have never practiced putting and don't have any idea on how to hit good chips or pitches. Basically half or non-full swings is not my strength.  Hell even if I have two good shots on a par 4 I will most likely end up with a 6 or 7 and some times even more.  In order to be a good golfer you have to have ALL the shots or pretty close. I typically double bogey most holes or worse.

me too, I find the round is over too quick when I am always getting hole in one's on par fives so I purposely hit in the rough to make the round last longer

I'm just going to reiterate what 2010 jamo said: [quote name="jamo" url="/t/36625/300-yard-drive-whats-the-big-deal#post_472930"]2 things: They claim they AVERAGE 300 yards. Something all but a handful of PGA TOUR players do. [/quote] The "average" part is key. Any moron can get ahold of one occasionally, but it takes the consistency of contact that only really pros (and some better amateurs) have to average 300.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!