IGNORED

300 yards - fact or fiction: Post your experience

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. My driving AVERAGE with a DRIVER when hitting ALL OUT.

• I am a 20+ handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 20+ handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a + handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a + handicap and average under 300

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confidently say I average 300+ yards. I hit one drive an a very dry downhill fairway and it ran all the way to about 310 yards. This is the only fairway I ever recall hitting in all my golfing life

G15 9* TFC 149D Stiff
R9 15* Fujikura Motore Regular
MP-57 3-PW
52*
Z TP 60* black series tour designs #2 34" Prov1 stratus stand bag

I am 0-10 Handicap but I would say I average 265-275. I have certainly popped a couple past the 300 yard mark, but I certainly do not average over 300 yds.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I think theoretically 115 is the minimum value you can get 300 yards at, with a smash factor of 1.5... I think thats close enough. Thats straight up no wind, flat, standard golf ball, sea level, ect...

Where is that info at? I am sure there is some type of math element to get some kind of correlation with swing speed and the travel of the ball, just don't know what it is.

I do not think my swing is over 110mph (Only been tested once and was at 105, ball speeds 158-160) but have had a number of drives that I measured over 300 with a GPS. I have even got a 3-wood (Superfast folks, check it out) to roll out to 300 on a hot day and a great tee shot. With all of that said I promise that I do not average 300 on my all out drives because I simply do not make good enough contact with a good enough swing path to get a straight ball up and out.

Where is that info at? I am sure there is some type of math element to get some kind of correlation with swing speed and the travel of the ball, just don't know what it is.

105 ss and 158 ball speed? so you have a better smash factor than optimal apparently lol. thats a 1.51-1.52 smash factor... you apparently have a better than perfect driver swing going by those numbers :)

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I am a 20+ (I also fit in the 30+ category ) and average about 205 with my 4 wood. Driver? yeah it's in the bag. And it stays in the bag because I can't predict its outcome. And my best driver goes 210, if it goes straight. And if I swing inside out. And if I …
Did I mention I also fit in the 30+ category ? What was the question again ?

+20 handicap, I hit about 250-280

Ping G15 10.5° Driver with Aldila NVS 65-S 
Ping G15 15.5° 3 wood
Adams: IDEA A3 3H, (A7)4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons, PW
Cleveland:CG12 56°, 60°
Nike: IC 20-10 Putter

I don't average 300yards, but I regularly hit it. The driving range where I am is 300m (330 yards) and I will put 30-40% out the end. On the course, I have been measuring and recording the drives that land on the fairway with a gps this year. I am at 52% of fairways hit off the tee.
My current average for the year is 252m (275 yards) and longest is 308m (335 yards). This is at sea level.
It is chipping and putting that let me down, not my driving. I come from a cricket background, which has given me the coordination to make good contact with the ball at high swing speeds with a good transfer of energy as well. My swing has problems, but my confidence in my ability to pound out a good drive is the key to obtaining good distance if you ask me

Would say my average drive is 230-250, but have poked many to and past the 300 point. Of course other factors were involved (i.e., wind, downhill fairway, very dry, OTT pulls, etc).

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say average over 5 rounds would be in the 275-285 range. Rarely do i hit my driver less that 275 but on occaison it happens. I also hit over 300 yards probably 2-3 times on an average round. On a round where my driver is on, probably average right at 300.

Doing a bridgestone ball fitting today so ill have some data and ill edit it into this post.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

I keep pretty detailed stats and I measure all my driver drives and this year I have so far have averaged 292 and change. Last year was a bit higher at 294 and change.

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

Comparing 300 yards drives across the country (or across the world) is comparing apples to oranges. People who play at sea level, like us in Florida, have an immediate 5-10% disadvantage to those from higher elevations. For example, I could routinely hit 290-300 yard drives in Las Vegas (including roll), but in Florida a 270 yard drive (including roll) is just about my maximum. 103-105 swing speed.

So much depends on fairway hardness, wind and elevation that it is impossible to make blanket statements regarding distance. And besides, why the big emphasis on how far anyone hits it? I play with a long hitter, and he can overpower the par 5's on his good days. But he can also hook the ball out of play, too. I'd just as soon keep it in play.

300 yards is very reachable. if you ever play with a single didget hcp you will most likelysee atleast 3 drives over 300. last week i played with a kid who hit a 450 yard green with no down hill and slightly down wind. i know for me i usually hit 2 drives well over 300 like 340 or so then i hit a few shorter 250 yarders when i dont need to kill it or if the hole is tight. i personally think it is almost impossible to play well on a tournament course without a huge driver because you just cant score if your hitting 5 iron into greens, you need to be hitting wedges and short irons because you need to the accurate scoring clubs coming into the greens so you can pin hunt and create birdies. plus a huge driver is a birdie set up every time you take it out.
i played half this season hitting the ball 240 because i had mono and i didnt have the body strength to swing hard and i recently got my distance back and my scoring avg on par 4s came down from 4.1 to 3.9. last year i kept driver and iron distance stats (i dont this year becasue its not how far its how many) and my avg drive was 308 and about 1/4

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

last week i played with a kid who hit a 450 yard green with no down hill and slightly down wind.

Did it happen to be a 6* loft with a 48" shaft? Afterwards did he pick up his tee and ask you if it had landed yet? Details.

Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5°
5W: Speed LD
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°
Irons: MP-57 3i-PW
Wedges: SM Oil Can 52° and 58°Putter: Rossa Daytona

Did it happen to be a 6* loft with a 48" shaft? Afterwards did he pick up his tee and ask you if it had landed yet? Details.

When you're golfing in Amsterdam, you gotta expect some crazy results!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!