IGNORED

Official US Open Thread

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Man that was a tough trek,well played McDowell,great victory.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work Gmac!

I thought he'd bottle it on the 18th but he stayed calm and got a par.
I don't envy the guys who played the course that week, those were some crazy holes.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Am I the only one that was about as choked up as Watson was while walking to the 18th green? If it weren't for the fact I was at my Dad's house with him there I'd probably have been balling my eyes out. That was rough. Tom Watson kicks ass!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My point about the Mark Rolfing interview is this. I addition to being a great champion, Jack Nicklaus was modest in victory and gracious in defeat. Tiger? Not. This isn't the first time I've seen him behave this way, or the second. What's so hard about acknowledging the winner, like Phil did? Do we not have to be a sportsman anymore?

Yes, Rolfing's question was kind of dumb, but those are the questions reporters get paid to ask. The rule is, though, they can ask anything they want and you can answer anything you want. They own the question, you own the answer.

My point about the Mark Rolfing interview is this. I addition to being a great champion, Jack Nicklaus was modest in victory and gracious in defeat. Tiger? Not. This isn't the first time I've seen him behave this way, or the second. What's so hard about acknowledging the winner, like Phil did? Do we not have to be a sportsman anymore?

What did Tiger say, exactly?
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

From Phil's post-round interview :

Q. What was it about Pebble Beach today that was so difficult that nobody was able to sink their teeth in and shoot a 66?

PHIL MICKELSON: I'm not really sure. I kind of know, but I would rather not get into it. It just doesn't sound good. I mean it was just tough. It was a tough day on the golf course.

Do you think Phil was referring to the bumpiness of the greens or something else?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

For reference, here is Tiger's press conference: http://www.pgatour.com/2010/r/06/20/...ipt/index.html

Also, right after the round as he was walking, he was asked something to the affect of "what kinds of things do you take out of a disappointing round like this?" The interviewer never said "positives". Tiger replied that "we" made 3 mental errors that cost us the US Open.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you think Phil was referring to the bumpiness of the greens or something else?

Possible, but in my opinion, quite unlikely. Phil, and Tiger for that matter, are both SoCal kids. They are used to playing Poa Annua greens. They weren't complaining about it at Torrey Pines...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If you shot a terrible round would yo be ready to answer a question about how you failed? No, no one would want to.

Garrigus did.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Garrigus did.

He did indeed. Good guy who deserves a win soon.

Some players have always been prepared to man up and be interviewed. Others want to sulk or kick the dog. Being a bad loser is not evidence of how bad you wanted it.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• Administrator
He did indeed. Good guy who deserves a win soon.

He won't get it. That was his one shot, his best shot, and I would bet a hundred bucks against 20 he never wins a regular event on the PGA Tour (Fall Season and Opposite Field excluded).

But yeah, let's compare the reactions of a guy who has never won and who is rarely on TV to a guy with 73 wins, 14 majors, and who is on TV constantly. That's an accurate comparison.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A US Open in which one of the best players in the world does not win, demanding shots when pulled off do not reward with at least 50/50 chances at birdies, and routine putts were at the mercy of lucky bounces -- Not my cup of tea. I don't mind a course set up to challenge the best players in the world; the US Open has traditionally been the harderst test in the west, but I am not a fan of bumpy greens, holes that require luck as much as skill to birdie, and tracks where the best players are not likely to win. However, I am very happy with the first and second place finishers who withstood their travails and were the best players in the tournament under these conditions, and who conducted themselves with calm and class. I applaud their accomplishments.

Agreed. It's like watching a low scoring football game (both NFL and Soccer atm), boring as batshit. People like to watch Birdies and clutch putts not professionals scrambling and struggling to make par. They lose there mystic.

He won't get it. That was his one shot, his best shot, and I would bet a hundred bucks against 20 he never wins a regular event on the PGA Tour (Fall Season and Opposite Field excluded).

You are missing the point. Tiger lacks the grace or charisma to give a decent interview whether he wins, loses or draws.

You might wonder why after all the interviews Tiger has had, that he hasn't learnt to say something interesting by now. Or perhaps IMG/Nike haven't trained him properly.

909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

You are missing the point. Tiger lacks the grace or charisma to give a decent interview whether he wins, loses or draws.

Lacks grace? Is he supposed to do a twirl? What would you suggest he says, which is interesting to you? He answeres the questions asked to him, it is the purpose of an interview.

Tiger says it like it is, if he is happy with his round or not, I really don't see the problem with that. He enters every tournament with one goal, to win it. Of course he will be disappointed more often than not, but that is probably one of the reasons he has won so much.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Lacks grace? Is he supposed to do a twirl? What would you suggest he says, which is interesting to you? He answeres the questions asked to him, it is the purpose of an interview.

Twirls not necessary, thanks. Saying something of substance rather than just trotting out clichés in a weary and contemptuous manner would be good, though.

909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
585H Ozik Altus

People like to watch Birdies and clutch putts not professionals scrambling and struggling to make par. They lose there mystic.

If you approach it with the right mindset its still very enjoyable, i mean you have 20 under 90% of the year, so nothing wrong with making pros look like one of us hacking it from one spot to the other, and having to write down the quadruplebogey after the dust settled :).

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Twirls not necessary, thanks. Saying something of substance rather than just trotting out clichés in a weary and contemptuous manner would be good, though.

As soon as reporters start ASKING something original, I'll expect an original reply. It's not Tiger's, or Phil's, or anyone other player's job, to articulate the vagaries of their round, their performance, or anything else. They're GOLFERS, not orators. Every post-whatever interview I've seen in ANY sport in the modern era of media, sucks goat balls. We're inundated with statistics, replays and comparisons in real-time throughout the contest; what more could the post-interview POSSIBLY provide??

Recreational: exactly how old are you, and how many post-round interviews with Jack have you seen? I think now that Jack is a nearly-completely-out-of-action 'legend' of the game, we tend to romanticize his career a little. My recollection, I've heard people say Jack was pretty competitive, ornary bastard in his day. On the flip, though, IMHO, I see Phil's Romper-Room/Crayola/Disneyworld bs nice-guy post-round interviews as fake. No way you practice like these guys do, endure 6-7 hours per day at the hardest course in the world, deal with media expectations, only to fall 3 or 4 strokes shy (out of 280+ strokes), and trot off and go, "welp, ya know, Mark, it was just tough, but I'm happy for Graeme." Bullshit. If that's who you truly are, then fine, but that sounds 'made for TV' if you ask me, and moreover, I don't see that as 'better' than a guy who comes off and says, "you know what, I'm really angry and disappointed at my play." To me, there's an element of genuiness there. Just because he doesn't manage - in the 15 second sound-byte - to congratulate the winner, doesn't mean he doesn't feel or think that. Sins of commission are one thing, but for the love of Zeus, now we're piling Tiger with sins of OMISSION as well Lastly, for the record, there is NO WAY he said 'we made 3 mental mistakes.' I heard that chat with Rolfing live, and he absolutely said "I made 3 mental mistakes." If there is one thing I think I can infer about Tiger, is that he is HIGHLY unlikely to ever blame someone else for his performance, and I can't IMAGINE he'd call out Stevie (which is who I would imagine any 'we' would have to refer to) in a public forum.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!