IGNORED

Your Favorite Hole

iacas
Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
What's your favorite hole?

I'm going to take some time to think about this myself, and I'll come back in a day to answer it. I've got so many to consider, and almost all of them are from my home course.

In fact, let's do this: what's your favorite par 3, par 4, and par 5? Describe them as best as you can.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
Holes we've played? or holes we've seen (either in person or on tv)? :)

Preferably those you've played. Some look great on TV but might just be rather ordinary to play.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, my favorite par 3 is a short one, about 150 yards I believe, but it is surrounded by 7 bunkers. It is a large two tier green, and it slopes to the left. It is a fun hole. I'll think about my other favorites and post them as soon as I figure out what is what.

• Administrator
I'm not the biggest fan of par 3's - they are what they are, and the shotmaking required is minimized because you only play one shot. The look of the hole is important, I suppose. I have played some par 3s enough to score well and badly, and to understand their challenge, but it's really a one-shot hole. Hit the right club, straight, the right distance. I'll see if I can come up with my own favorite one-shotter... I'll do my favorite par five right now.

My favorite three-shotter is the 13th at Lake View CC . It's a bit of a risk-reward hole: a par 5 taking up 525 yards of real estate. You drive through a chute that takes you out to the right, though the hole bends left and then back to the right gently about 100 yards from the green. The ideal shot is a draw - there's more room left after the chute than it looks like - and going into the left rough isn't bad. From there, it's just a 5I for position as it'll kick down a hill 150 yards from the green and take you down to 100 or so. Or a long iron or wood if you want to go for it in two. The green is severely sloped - a bowl in the front collects shots, but they'll stay - barely - on other parts of the green. Behind the green is a steep slope, and two bunkers guard the front and left. Except for landing area of the drive, the entire hole is engulfed by trees. It's not an easy hole because even if you can drive in the proper position, you'll still have to negotiate the green. But it's not too penal either: a drive way right presents a recoverable situation.

I too am a big fan of par 5's they give you the opportunity to grip it and rip it or play conservatively and still score well.

My favorite I've played so far is the eighteenth at Barton Creek Canyon's Course . The entire hole is downhill, so it plays a bit shorter than it's 561 yards. The fairway is fairly wide, mounded, and crossed twice by a stream. The tee shot is guarded to the right and left by bunkers. Accuracy is important because there is not much real estate between the fairway and dense woods. Although the green is relatively flat, the approach to it is guarded by a huge oak tree to the left and a stream in front. Pretty difficult any way you want to approach it.

As far as dream holes I'd love to play, the 18th at St. Andrews, 9th at Fancourt, and the 10th at Turnberry Alisa come to mind.

I have to agree that par 3's are not the best. I was merely stating my favorite par three. I love par 5's. I may only average abou 250 yards, but I still love the challenge. At times you have to be so creative, so daring, so precise. Its golf at ists best. I'm still trying to figure out my favorite though.

• 2 weeks later...
Lets see Par 3 #17 on the Black 175-180 from whites with the biggest bunkers you ever saw dead in front of you and a hour glass shaped left to right large slopping green.Best par 4 16 hole at Tigers Eye in Myrtle about 460 second shot over stream and rock wall to elevated green {60 ft} kidney shaped green.Best par 5 no sweat the Waterloo on the back side.About 530 and wraps around a lake that you can cut off as much as you dare and is home to a famous 13' gator!!It is allways on the 18 best holes in the country list by Golf Digest.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• 1 year later...
It's the #1 handicap at our course..a par 5. I like it because you HAVE to set up your 3rd shot to the green (for me). I need to hit a pretty precise layup to the right side of the fairway for the green to open up. Absolute course maintenance. Going left is no chance.. If you're a bomber you need to place the drive to the right because the "small" green is cut into the left around tall pines. It's the perfect hole.

Two par 3 holes come to mind...

#13 at Arrowhead Golf Club - http://www.arrowheadcolorado.com/tour-13.cfm
#11 at Castle Pines Golf Club - http://www.golfintl.com/info/cframes/frameset11.html

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

#16 at Old North State (NC). It's a difficult downhill par 4 with trees along the right side and finishes with the lake coming into play on your left. The view off the tee and approach is stunning. It doesn't hurt that it's a great hole also.

#3 Tanglewood Championship. My home course. I hate this hole, but love it at the same time. It's only a 421 par 4 from the blues, but to give you an idea of how hard it is, when the Champions Tour played the Vantage Championship there, they put the tees on the golds (444) and played it as a par 5. The entire left side drops off down into trees. If you hit any sort of draw in the center or left center of the fairway, it runs off that way...so a fade is preferred. On the approach shot, you need a draw into a green guarded by bunkers. There is a nice bailout area short right...the problem is that unless the pin is in the front, because of the contours/tiers of the green, you may not be able to get your chip closer than 15 feet.

It is a great thinking-mans hole. Oh, and by the way, put your driver away. There is a huge bunker sitting at 190 guarding the right side of the fairway. I have to hit hybrid...off of a 421 yard hole. Great stuff.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

This hole is amazing. You need major balls to play it. I hit a driver, 8 iron onto the green by the way of the island fairway one time, and the other was driver, 6 iron, wedge.

I had birdies both times. One with high fives and screams. The other with a "nice putt"

:) I'll take em both.

Two par 3 holes come to mind...

Worthy nominees, both, but I have to go with the 16th at the Golf Club at Bear Dance

http://www.beardancegolf.com/golf/golf_hole16-t.html . Par 4, 378 yds (from where I hit it) or 431 from the back porch. One hundred and forty foot elevation drop from the tee to a not quite generous fairway leaves an interesting pitch over a pond to a large back-to-front sloping green. The single most beautiful hole I've ever played.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

The is my absolute favorite hole. From the tee box to the hole there is about a 500 foot vertical drop. It's so steep it's hard to walk down. If you hit a good drive it can stay in the air for about 8 seconds. It's not unusual to see a 400+ yard drive. The right side of the green is surrounded by an emerald pool with a fountain in the center. It's just a really cool hole.

Driver: HiBore 9.5°, UST ProForce V2 67g
Woods: Launcher Steel 15°
Hybrid: Halo 2i 19°, 3i 22°
Irons: CG4 4-PW
Wedges: CG10 52°, 56° Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 Balls: NXT Tour, Pro V1, Nike One, Callaway HX

This hole is amazing. You need major balls to play it. I hit a driver, 8 iron onto the green by the way of the island fairway one time, and the other was driver, 6 iron, wedge.

That's "The Gambler" at Myrtle Beach National, right?

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

My favourite hole is without a doubt the 6th hole at The NSW Golf Club in Sydney. I get to play at NSW at least a couple of times a year and every round there is a major highlight on the golfing calendar for me.

Some days you'll play the 6th and the tide is out and it's a nice calm day, a nice 5 or 6 iron will get you on to the green or thereabouts.

On the more memorable days the surf will be crashing around your feet whilst you are getting hit in the face with seaspray and the wind is howling in to you from the left and you are agonising over whether you want to aim "inland" with a 2 iron or have a go at the green with a 3 wood or driver.

The original course routing and bunkering plan for NSW Golf Course was done by Dr. Alister MacKenzie in 1926 and the course has undergone quite a few changes over the years but from what I have read and been told it is still very faithful to the original in it's intent. US Golf Magazine consistently ranks The NSW Golf Course in the Worlds Top 50.

http://www.nswgolfclub.com.au/

Worthy nominees, both, but I have to go with the 16th at the Golf Club at Bear Dance

I still haven't played Bear Dance.

Forget your opponents; always play against par. - Sam Snead

Driver: R580 9.5 deg
3-Wood: 15.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)
5-Wood: 18.0 deg (holdover from my starter set)Irons: TA-5 3-PWWedge: CG-12 56 degPutter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 1488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!