IGNORED

How often do you hit it "pure"?

Note: This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 10 shots with my 6 iron I hit it pure about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other shots go straight or hook but my pure shots are high and long with a slight draw. It depends on the club for me though, my driver is good but doesn't have a good feeling.

Yep --about the same. When I play 3/4 times a week the % goes up. Less than 1 time a week the % is down.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably 1 out of 10 will have that "take off like a rocket" feel with 8 being acceptable and the last one coming up 10 -20 yards short (miss hit)

It's hard to tell for sure with range balls, but out of 10, most of them would be playable on the course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Didn't Jack say that he only hit maybe 1 or 2 pure shots per round? I would have to say out of 10, I might hit 2 that I consider "pure." I think that if you are hitting 7 "pure" out of 10, then you are really doing something

Of 10 shots, I am lucky if 2 are pure, as in I hit it the best I possibly could. 6 others would be acceptable, as in I would be pleased with them if I hit them on the course, but they would still be mishit a little. 2 others would be unacceptable, as in I pulled/pushed them or hit them fat/thin.

These responses deserve recognition. They tell the truth. On the course, I hit maybe one in 25 shots

pure . I hit 9 of 10 solid . There's a difference. Most shots on the course are solid, but only a few each round are pure. Solid shots are struck off center a touch, high or low a few millimeters, or at a bad angle, but not enough to really affect the shot. Any twisting or harsh feel, or a shot where the ball didn't compress is not solid. A pure shot is struck dead center. If I hit my driver 1/8" off center, it's not a pure shot. I rarely ever pure my driver for that matter, but I usually hit it solid.

Agreed. It's funny how the definition of pured changes as you get better. 5 yards difference is huge. Just this past week, I was left with 115 yards to a back pin and tried to hit a smooth, 3/4 PW. Well, I "pured" that one and ended up long... which was completely dead. A double bogey later and I was kicking myself for not aiming at the center of the green and taking the easy uphill two-putt at worse.

It's also funny how when you try to say to yourself "smooth half swing" or something like that you make such good contact that it goes farther than your full shot slight mishit. I hit my 9-3 "half shot" 60 degree 75y when I pure it..I don't understand that to be honest.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

I don't really know what classifies as pure but I see it as hitting the ball first and getting a nice high controlled ball flight and lots of back spin.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

It's also funny how when you try to say to yourself "smooth half swing" or something like that you make such good contact that it goes farther than your full shot slight mishit. I hit my 9-3 "half shot" 60 degree 75y when I pure it..I don't understand that to be honest.

I hit a layup 4-iron on a par 5 today from 240. I couldn't get to the pin and just wanted to leave myself a lob wedge for my 3rd. The ball bounced over the green and into the trees. Grr. The pin on the 18th hole was at 210 - walked on the same 4-iron and left it on the front apron - boo!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

So many golfers think they hit so many shots pure ..... 7 out of 10, not even Woods can ....... just forget about that. To be honest I think I can hit only a few shots pure in a round (and I believe that is what most players will be able to) ..... unless you have another definition of pure. IMHO pure is when you don't even feel that you strike the ball, and it goes out with a super trajectory, slight draw or dead straight, 15 to 20 yds longer than average.

Pure .... Pfffff not important, as long as your other 80 shots are good enough. Mishits we also all make, perfect lies .... 18 in a round (at the tee).

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

On 10 shots with my 6 iron I hit it pure about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other shots go straight or hook but my pure shots are high and long with a slight draw. It depends on the club for me though, my driver is good but doesn't have a good feeling.

Depends on the club. Pitching wedge...probably 8 or 9/10. Longer irons..probably 5/10.

Both of you have misunderstood the meaning of 'pure'

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

So many golfers think they hit so many shots pure ..... 7 out of 10, not even Woods can ....... just forget about that. To be honest I think I can hit only a few shots pure in a round (and I believe that is what most players will be able to) ..... unless you have another definition of pure. IMHO pure is when you don't even feel that you strike the ball, and it goes out with a super trajectory, slight draw or dead straight, 15 to 20 yds longer than average.

If I am swing well, maybe 2 shots in a round. I would agree, pure is not as important as missing good!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I've played golf with people who don't approach 1 pure shot in a bucket of range balls let alone during a round.

My first ten balls, maybe 1 oor 2 pure max.....but as I hit more I think I get better contact.

On the course?...maybe 2 pure, some days none, some days 5

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Didn't Jack say that he only hit maybe 1 or 2 pure shots per round? I would have to say out of 10, I might hit 2 that I consider "pure." I think that if you are hitting 7 "pure" out of 10, then you are really doing something

I think it's because the definition of 'pure' is different for some. Myself, I thought this thread was about unsafe sex until I actually opened it up

Seriously though, some people may think "pure" means in the sweet spot (which I do), and some may take it to mean a perfect swing while hitting it in the sweet spot, resulting in you hitting it 100% as far and as straight as you potentially could have. Perhaps the latter is what Jack was referring to? If the question is how often do I hit the sweet spot with my 6-iron out of 10 shots, I wouldn't really know since I currently use shovels, but it seems like several times at least. I should find out for sure later this week when I try out my new irons. If it's a question of the other definition of pure, I'd say 2 of 10 in a bucket, and if we take it to the course, it would still be only 1-2 times per round. I don't think there is one universal meaning of what a "pure" strike is, though. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

At the range: 9/10 - Everything looks great at the range.
On the course: Once per round.

Seriously, I'd say 1/10 at the range. Maybe higher if I'm in the groove. Course I may hit one per round. Mine definitely go further because it's when I really pinch the ball.

I think it was Hogan who actually said he only hits one or two perfect shots per round.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

At the range: 9/10 - Everything looks great at the range.

Nicklaus or Hogan - it was probably one of those two hackers.

I'd be curious to see the number of pured 6-irons out of 10 compared to the irons in the bag. For the blade holdouts among us, I suspect there is no doubt whatsoever when a shot on the course has been struck pure. The sound, the feeling as the ball compresses, then the trajectory and distance, and possibly the unconsciously held-way-too-long finish position as you watch the ball sail off into the distance, and you're thinking, "yeah, that's all I got right there."

A pure shot for me almost feels like I didn't make contact - the sound is more of a click off the iron face and what I can feel is pure compression. The ball will go straight, high, and long and will be a joy to watch. I might hit one of those every other round.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

On a range? Id say about half of them i nut. 3 of them are passable, and 2 are just plain awful. On the course, i say i usally hit about 2 or 3 just pure shots a round. Weather they be chips, putts, drives, or whatever.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!