IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by The4HourGolfPro

The guy that thinks he's a PGA commentator:

He decides to say "ooooh," or "that's in!," followed by an "AWWE, so close!" every time I putt

or "NICE!!!" after my drive.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it's just causing me problems. What's worse is, it's hard to tell someone to quit encouraging you without sounding like a jerk.

Yeah, I hate when someone tells me my drive is awesome, when it is clearly a small fade or draw that I didn't intend to make. If i hit it 280 dead straight, then compliment me, but I don't need the false sense of pride, that'll just hurt my mental game. And it does.

Originally Posted by mikelegacy

Yeah, I hate when someone tells me my drive is awesome, when it is clearly a small fade or draw that I didn't intend to make. If i hit it 280 dead straight, then compliment me, but I don't need the false sense of pride, that'll just hurt my mental game. And it does.

Somebody complimenting you hurts your game?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Somebody complimenting you hurts your game?

I don't want people complimenting me on a shot that isn't perfect, because then I get the mentality that the shot might be better than it actually is. If I play the right side of the fairway because I constantly fade the ball, having someone tell me that my fade is a good shot just does nothing but tell me that this is okay.

I am a head-case when it comes to golf. I need to learn not to think so much at the tee, but a lot of things effect my game, and this is one of them. I like getting compliments, but I'm harder on myself than anyone, and I know when a shot actually felt nice, compared to it just being lucky.

I don't think you understand my viewpoint here. I am not saying that any compliment hurts my game. I would just rather people compliment me on shots that were actually nice, not just lucky. I understand that luck sometimes comes into play with golf, but obviously I am a high handicap, and I want to fix my issues, not go around with the mentality that they are okay because I get lucky sometimes or that people are giving me positive reinforcement on the issues in my swing because I have learned to play them.

I don't want people complimenting me on a shot that isn't perfect, because then I get the mentality that the shot might be better than it actually is. If I play the right side of the fairway because I constantly fade the ball, having someone tell me that my fade is a good shot just does nothing but tell me that this is okay.

I am a head-case when it comes to golf. I need to learn not to think so much at the tee, but a lot of things effect my game, and this is one of them. I like getting compliments, but I'm harder on myself than anyone, and I know when a shot actually felt nice, compared to it just being lucky.

I don't think you understand my viewpoint here. I am not saying that any compliment hurts my game. I would just rather people compliment me on shots that were actually nice, not just lucky. I understand that luck sometimes comes into play with golf, but obviously I am a high handicap, and I want to fix my issues, not go around with the mentality that they are okay because people are giving me positive reinforcement on them.

Perhaps you are misdirecting your anger.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Aha, he admitted already.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Perhaps you are misdirecting your anger.

Ugh, what is with the internet and people taking things out of context or adding their own thoughts to an idea.

I never said it makes me angry, or upset, it's just a pet peeve. I normally just counter with a "No it wasn't" or a "Not really" when someone tells me nice shot and continue on. You make it out like I am becoming a monster and throwing my club at them. No, it's just a minor annoyance at most.

Ugh, what is with the internet and people taking things out of context or adding their own thoughts to an idea.

I never said it makes me angry, or upset, it's just a pet peeve. I normally just counter with a "No it wasn't" or a "Not really" when someone tells me nice shot and continue on. You make it out like I am becoming a monster and throwing my club at them. No, it's just a minor annoyance at most.

You don't sound like much fun to play with.

You don't sound like much fun to play with.

What? I am hard on myself, that doesn't make me a drag to play with. I laugh and carry on and normally, I am the one keeping things light. I don't think I am in the minority when it comes to people showing their distaste after they make a poor shot.

We're just messing with ya dude.... It's all good.

What? I am hard on myself, that doesn't make me a drag to play with. I laugh and carry on and normally, I am the one keeping things light. I don't think I am in the minority when it comes to people showing their distaste after they make a poor shot.

If you are correcting people when they compliment you, you might be a bit of a drag.  If you're a 20 handicapper that beats themself up over every bad shot, you may want to lighten up.

Originally Posted by Motley01

Dangit!  I was going to stay in character for awhile longer.

Dangit!  I was going to stay in character for awhile longer.

Ooops, my bad.

Ooops, my bad.

It's alright.

I know what the guy is saying about hitting a clanker and having someone who doesn't know your game say nice shot.  I usually don't say anything, but for some reason it only makes me more pissed off at myself over the garbage I just hit.

Where's Shorty when you need him?

Meaningless compliments and golf related small talk are part of the deal. Unless someone is complimenting your 50y worm burner anything loosely resembling a half decent shot typically brings courtesy praise. I know when I hit a good shot for me. What people say has zero affect on keeping my head in the game.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, I dislike you guys haha...

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

It's alright.

I know what the guy is saying about hitting a clanker and having someone who doesn't know your game say nice shot.  I usually don't say anything, but for some reason it only makes me more pissed off at myself over the garbage I just hit.

And this was really my intent the whole time, I just couldn't put it so eloquently haha.

I think you have to understand that what you consider a poor shot by your standards may be a damn fine shot by someone else's, and their comments are based on how they perceive the shot, not you. How else could they? They can't jump into your brain. They don't know what you think is good or not.

I play with my sister. She's terrible. Anything I hit that's airborne and in a forward direction she thinks is amazing. I just chuckle when she does the 'Oh my, GREAT shot, Jerry!' as the ball careens into the woods with a mondo slice.

Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!