IGNORED

What's you avg long distance from the fairway ?

sam004
Note: This thread is 4963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have in the past hit greens from 220 yards out, but I usually don't think about hitting the green unless I'm inside of 200....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best I've ever done is I've hit the green with my 4 iron a couple of times from about 170 - 180 yards. I'm better off laying up.

You're probably right.

I disagree, considering you don't regularly see that kind of distance and accuracy on tour, but that's ok, if guys get a boner by claiming they can hit a 3 wood off the deck farther than you're average amatuer can drive then it's no sweat to me....

You coulda fooled me - you seem quite upset about it. The average amateur is a rather short hitter. It's reality. A lot of people can hit the ball a lot farther than average. That's what the average consists of - some really short hitters, some really long hitters and a crapload of average hitters. It seems as if you're calling every long hitter a liar, and that's your choice, but all it really does is reflect poorly on your own skill level and inidcates a lack of exposure to good players.

+1

Now this one is hilarious - if you guys think all it takes to play scratch golf is hitting the ball a long way, then you're disrespecting every scratch golfer out there. Are there short hitting scratch golfers out there who wear their lack of distance like a badge of honour? Sure, some of them do - it's kinda weird, but it's also reality.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You coulda fooled me - you seem quite upset about it. The average amateur is a rather short hitter. It's reality. A lot of people can hit the ball a lot farther than average. That's what the average consists of - some really short hitters, some really long hitters and a crapload of average hitters. It seems as if you're calling every long hitter a liar, and that's your choice, but all it really does is reflect poorly on your own skill level and inidcates a lack of exposure to good players.

You're subtle insults aside, I'm quite comfortable with my distance and skill level. Breaking 90 in four months is a pretty good feat, and I'll take my 230 yard drives and 190 yard 21* off the deck.

As for distance We are truly lucky to have all these amazingly long hitters post on this forum. I sure would like to see some videos of these swings and hits. Unfortunately when it comes to putting up or shutting up, these same guys rarely put up. Wonder why that is?

Anything over 180 I will usually lay up to around 100 yards. If I'm hitting my Hybrid or 3 Wood well that day, I may go for the green from around 210.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I wasn't implying that at all. I was ASSUMING to hit a 3w from the fairway 240 -260 yards to the green CONSISTENLY takes a level a skill somewhere around scratch. Of course hitting the ball a long way isn't the crucial ingredient to becoming a scratch golfer.

I disagree, considering you don't regularly see that kind of distance and accuracy on tour, but that's ok, if guys get a boner by claiming they can hit a 3 wood off the deck farther than you're average amatuer can drive then it's no sweat to me....

This isn't a discussion of how far you can hit the ball, it's what yardage do you feel comfortable going from the green from. Actually, to quote the OP, it is "what is the

average maximum distance that you can reach a green". If I misread or misinterpreted the question, that's my mistake. I gave a number that said how far I would feel comfortable hitting a 3W. My number erred on the long side because usually when going for a green with a 3W I would rather be short than long, because short is in the fairway. I would suspect many people are the same way.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're subtle insults aside, I'm quite comfortable with my distance and skill level. Breaking 90 in four months is a pretty good feat, and I'll take my 230 yard drives and 190 yard 21* off the deck.

You're breaking 90? Prove it. It goes both ways.

I don't doubt your meteoric rise. As a beginner, breaking 90 is a helluva feat. And your distances are also nothing to scoff at. Your criticism of other people, and demanding they prove their claims to you is I'm sure a heat of the moment statement.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A very good response so far.
The average responses so far seem to be in the 190-230 range for averages,
with a few of the longer response up to about 250 yds. or so.

A couple things I was looking for was if my game was still average or am I slipping.
I feel like I am slipping personally, but I guess still in the thick of average.

The other point I was wondering, what are the possibilities of putting yourself in position for eagle. On a par 5, for most average hitters, that would be around 450 yds, assuming ideal conditions, no wind, not overly dry, flat, etc. Granted there are a lot of circumstances, but probably the easiest one to ponder would be a modest par 5.

If you think about it, an eagle is much harder for the average golfer than a hole in one.
And also the odds of making a hole in one a long par 3 go way up for the average golfer.

Thanks for all the feedback

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

I don't see how you can say an eagle is much harder for the average golfer to make than a hole in one. I've been playing 21 years and have had two eagles and even one double eagle on short par 5's but NEVER a hole in one. Have I defied the odds here or something?
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I

can hit a 3 wood off the deck further than the average amateur can drive-a lot further. Let me check here, nope-no boner though. Average amateur drive is about 210. I played a round last summer with 3 partners at the law firm where I worked last summer, and I used 3 wood off the tee the entire round. And outdrove them every hole. I'm not bragging, I'm not a tremendously long hitter-most amateurs just don't drive all that far. As multiple people have said, 240 or 250, or even 260 yd 3 woods off the deck are not the issue, hitting/sticking the green is. I think we all agree that it's terribly difficult.

conditions fair no trouble near hole. On nearly all par 4s- and my tee shot is still in the fairway! Im usually hitting into green with a 53 degree or higher from 150.

What irons are you using?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I can usually hit it 300-340 from the fairway with my 3-wood. If the conditions are perfect it turns into about 360.

I am callin bulls**t on this post. Unless it is meant to be a joke, in which case, it is very difficult to put sarcasm on an internet post.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

What irons are you using?

LOL The only irons I use are a 8iron & 9iron I carry a 7iron but I never use it.

They were given to me by Dad from Walmart! LOL I swing pretty hard, my driver ss is probably 130ish, I just assume that based upon my longest drives. I think my iron shafts are too felxible....gonna get a new 8iron soon and see.

My best to date is 220 with a 4 iron left if 5 feet short of the pin. I didn't actually think I could reach with the 4i. There is a bunker on the hole directly on the line into the green. To say I was surprised to find my ball on the green would be a bit of an understatement.

Typically, I won't go for it from more than 200.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

260 off the deck with a 3W is pretty much superhuman but it is possible. I only know a couple of guys who have anything remotely close to kind of distance and they're all scratch or just on either side of scratch. If you can reliably hit a 260 yard 3W off the deck and aren't a low single digit capper, then you better get yourself to a practice green and chip/putt until your hands are bleeding.

The odd thing is that for the most part the big hitters I know barely ever play courses that require them to play a second shot that long. The longest hitter I know (+ index) works at and plays a 7200 yard layout - watching him play that course is like watching a mid-capper play a 6500 yard course. 400+ par 4s are usually driver/short iron, etc. It's ridiculous.

I am callin bulls**t on this post. Unless it is meant to be a joke, in which case, it is very difficult to put sarcasm on an internet post.

It's a good bet that when a distance is listed as 300+ it's a joke. Even if it's true, people usually know better than to boast about it.

It's a good bet that when a distance is listed as 300+ it's a joke. Even if it's true, people usually know better than to boast about it.

I wouldnt go that far. 300 isnt freakishly long. 300+ with said 3 wood, yea thats freakishly long.

Note: This thread is 4963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!