IGNORED

What's you avg long distance from the fairway ?

sam004
Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

210 max with a 3 wood. I will probably hit the green with the 3W about 15% of the times. Most of the time it is a short chip on the green with some chance of 1 putt. Any thing longer than 220 then I will hit a club that will leave me a 100 yard shot with the PW.

On par 5's if again tee shot is in fairway, I am looking at 250 yards from green to as close as 200 yards, sadly I have no club for that distance since i cant hit off the deck worth crap. I will usually unload with a 8iron and either hit it fat for 100 to 150 yards or might get lucky and hit a pure power draw to 220. I deloft my irons and the 8 turns into a 4. This month Ive been on the same par5 500yd in two, from 200 out and 150 out.

So, what happens when you hit a 3iron, does it deloft to a -1iron and then burrow it's way to the green to keep it out of the wind?

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I can usually get a 3 wood on or around the green from around 250-260

Sorry Nuck but I feel your scepticism about his claim is foolish. He is a 10 HC and one of the only people in a 12 page thread to claim 260 and he claims on or around the green. You shouldn't use the word average if you are unwilling to actually understand what an average is or present people as saying they hold the green whenever they say - around the green.

My absolute max for going for the green is about 250 with the 4 wood but it takes a 100% swing with solid contact. I should add that would only be if there is no trouble in front of me..... especially down the left side. I can comfortably carry my 4 wood 230 and, being a 4 wood, gets high enough to land fairly soft. However, I would say percentage wise, I'm looking at 195 and in, which is essentially the 5 iron and lower clubs. For the most part, If I'm more that about 225-230 out, I'll just lay up to my favorite distance which is 100yards.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

I can get to a green from 200 ish pretty regularly. Any longer than that and luck plays a bigger part.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

So, what happens when you hit a 3iron, does it deloft to a -1iron and then burrow it's way to the green to keep it out of the wind?

I cant and don't hit a 3 iron because the fairways will get skid marks. Im trying to learn how to use my 7 wood(highest loft wood I could find) its still a work in progress. THis is crazy....I used to deloft my Drive badly..I have hit balls off the tee that bounced from the tee only to carry the 2nd bounce 150 yards into fairway, then roll another 100 yards.

^^^ I'd like to see this swing of yours. Do you have a swing thread?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

lately i haven't been able to use a 3 wood from the fairway cause my swing is so bad. i used to feel comfortable hitting it from about 260 or so out, but now i have to settle for a 3 iron which goes about 240 when i stripe it.

i've hit several greens from around 250 with my 3wood but those were great shots. normally about 230-240 is the longest, i will hit either 4iron or either of my hybrids from around those yardages depending on what shot type is need, ex: 4iron for me carries all the way and stop, hybrid will carry and release/run.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

• 2 months later...

Around 250 is my limit for me with my 3-wood. (I started hitting it great off the deck after I saw Tiger hit that massive fade over the water and onto the green in the 3rd round of the U.S. Open this year. I went to the range, and constantly practiced hitting my 3-wood. Now, with a natural 10-15 yard fade) Anyways, I've hit several par 5s in two this year, thanks to a good drive and a nice 3-wood from the fairway. I may be able to stretch it 260 with a slight draw if I have room for it to roll, but if not, I'll hit my natural fade about 250. Also, if I have the room, I'll hit a bigger, higher fade for a shorter shot (higher = shorter, obviously) because as of now, my 4i is my next longest club (205ish)

Driver: Nike SQ Dymo 10.5*
Woods: Nike SQ Dymo2 3 Wood, Nike SQ 3 Hybrid
Irons: Nike Slingshot 4D 4-AW
Wedges: Nike VR Forged 54/12,58/06
Putter: Nike Method 001

Ball: Nike 20XI-x

If I'm feeling ballsy I'll pull my 19* 5 wood from about 255 (there are a couple of really long par 5's at a couple of local courses and If I smush a drive this makes for an interesting 2nd shot. More realistically though.... I try to get it to either 190 out or 150 out. 7 iron and pw respectively. GIR 10 times out of 10

Driver: Adams 9064ld 6.5* w/ Oban Devotion 7 .... 281 cpm at 44"
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge xcg 4 3 wood w/ rapport blue velvet shaft

hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics cg4 17* 2 hybrid
Irons: Miura series 1957 "baby blades" w/ KBS tour shafts
Wedges: Miura: 52* wedge, 56* K grind, 59* Y grind
Putter: taylormade white smoke 35"

Unless it's a 500+ yard par 4, I lay up with an iron off the tee. Who wants to hit a beautiful, 385 yard high cut and then have to hit a wide-open-faced LW into the green? So, I just put my 4 iron out there about 290 most of the time so I have a full shot. Course management is a big part of my game -- unlike all these sissies that only hit their hybrids into greens that are 240 and are a club or two deeper than most tour pros, who are mostly pansies as well. To tell the truth, having length like I do isn't a blessing; it's a terrible curse.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Unless it's a 500+ yard par 4, I lay up with an iron off the tee. Who wants to hit a beautiful, 385 yard high cut and then have to hit a wide-open-faced LW into the green? So, I just put my 4 iron out there about 290 most of the time so I have a full shot. Course management is a big part of my game -- unlike all these sissies that only hit their hybrids into greens that are 240 and are a club or two deeper than most tour pros, who are mostly pansies as well. To tell the truth, having length like I do isn't a blessing; it's a terrible curse.

Nice job. I miss him already. Oh wait, no I don't.

About 160 with my 4H/4i... I lack the confidence to really go at a green with a 3 or 5 wood, I tend to shank those two off the grass if I am really pushing it distance-wise.

Callaway FT-IQ 9.5
Nike VR 15* 1H
Nike Machspeed 18* 2H & 21* 3H
Nike Sumo 24* 4H
Nike Machspeed 4-SWOdyssey Dual Force II

I'll play my 3 wood of the deck (if I have a good lie) and go for the green at about the 220-190 yards or so. My max would definately be 220. I'd have to hit it pure, off a good lie, and get some good bounce/roll to get there. Otherwise, right around 200 is comfortable for me and my 3 wood.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I remember those days. It's no fun worrying on every par 4 tee shot- will my 3 iron fly the green?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll go for anything less than 220 as long as it's not too risky (i.e. water in front of the green)
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!