IGNORED

Low handicappers playing with high handicappers

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 5016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The rule book states that proper ettiquite is for the guy who hit the ball into the woods to look for it while the others get ready to hit.

I don't throw rule books at my friends.

I'd say the BEST thing to do would be for everyone else to hit their next shots and then join in the search.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with a guy recently who had 166 and it was painful, but he was a nice guy, he kept asking the rules and I wanted to tell him it did not matter, he could play anything he wanted as he could not get a nett 120 if he tried, but I did nto have the heart. I have never been a low handicapper (hopefully one day I will be), if I ever am i want to remember just one thing and that is that if I behave poorly when I am playing bad, i will wreck everyone elses day. Last saturday I played with an 8, he had a bad day, i mean I beat him, but he threw a club at least seven times, kicked his bag, swore his head off and generally carried on like a child, I dont care what his handicap is, no one should have to put up with that crap. After 12 holes or so, i told him a little story about Arnold Palmer (i believe) telling an amateur that he was not good enough to get that upset, strnagely, he did nto talk to much to me after that :)

I find sometimes if I'm having an off day, playing with high handis makes me play a little worse. If I'm having an off day and playing with my typical group, seeing them crush it and hit their GIR's puts me back in the zone. Mostly I don't mind too much.

I'm not a low or high handicapper, but I really don't have a problem playing with either ends of the scale. I just try to stick to playing my game. I have more of an issue with a player that is either very slow or very fast and that has nothing to do with handicap!

I find when I play with better players, I will tend to focus more and will play better, but my daughter is taking up the game and when I play with her and help her, I forget about my "problems" and just hit the ball and play pretty well. Of course the reverse can be true for both cases, which has happened.....

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I don't throw rule books at my friends.

Here in NZ not helping look for a ball would be considered rude

I don't throw the rule book around either nor do I think it's a question of rudeness. All I'm saying is that in the spirit of proper ettiquite & pace of play, everybody should go to their own ball and play. That being said, if everyone hits and there's still one guy looking, then everybody should help look for the allotted time.

BTW, when my buddies & I play, I'm usually the one in the woods.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Handicap usually doesn't come into play when I judge how much I enjoyed a partner...

I just can't stand the hackers who act like it's the U.S. Open out there and every stroke is worth a hundred thousand dollars...
Just play the game.

slow play and not being able to have fun playing with hackers in the US comes down to poor course design imo. Having heather or knee high grass on your course is stupid unless you are hosting top level competition. It just slows down play and is ridiculous. The wooded holes (like actual woods not just trees) are dumb as well. If you want to speed up play get rid of heather and dig all of that crap out so its only trees and dirt/pine straw/grass whatever.

It really kills me to play on courses like this because I know itll be a long day and its miserable for me even as a low handicap because I feel like id find my ball if I had a spotter etc.

In closing, high handicaps are fine as long as we arent looking for balls all day (im not a straight driver personally so Im sure well be looking for some of mine as well)

slow play and not being able to have fun playing with hackers in the US comes down to poor course design imo. Having heather or knee high grass on your course is stupid unless you are hosting top level competition. It just slows down play and is ridiculous. The wooded holes (like actual woods not just trees) are dumb as well. If you want to speed up play get rid of heather and dig all of that crap out so its only trees and dirt/pine straw/grass whatever.

Nice to hear a low capper say that. There's a course I used to play locally that I've stopped going to because as soon as summer starts they let the grass get thigh high in 70% of the rough. Way to penalizing for a public course. Thought I was the only one thinking it.

Taylormade Burner 09 Driver / Taylormade Burner 09 3 Wood / King Cobra Baffler 19*(Rail H) & 26* / Ping G5 Irons 5-U / Cleveland 588 56* & 60* / Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy / Bridgestone E6 balls

I run into the director of golf here at the new club and, after a pleasant conversation, he says he likes to try and play a round with new members to get to know them and asks if we can go out together some day soon. Apologizes that his time is pretty limited and he only really gets to play Wednesdays or Saturdays nowadays, which are the members' competition days. Anyway, we set a date and I immediately slope off to look him up on the club handicap roster. Of course he's a +3.

I guess I'll learn something, at least.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play pretty much every round with high handicappers these days. I've been playing for around 10 years now and my partners have been playing only about a year. They're my college roommates that recently got into golf. We usually just play 9 holes together and sometimes they'll shoot in the 60's or 70's and sometimes they'll shoot in the 40's (and sometimes it seems like I'm trying my hardest to accomplish the former ) but, either way, I always have a blast with those guys.

I don't really mind playing with anyone as long as they have good etiquette, keep up to pace, and they don't get all mad to the point it effects my game.

One thing that absolutely drives me nuts is people playing multiple balls. I don't mind someone throwing down an occasional ball after a bad shot but I play with a guy who is a really long hitter. We're talking 300-315. However, he's lucky to hit 1 out of every 15 fairways. He'll go smash one two fairways over left, a fairway over right, and put one in the rough every hole. I actually counted last time I played with him how many times he hit more than one tee shot and in 18 holes, he hit multiple balls on 16 of the 18 holes. Sometimes he hits two, sometimes three. It drives me crazy. Then we'll get to the 18th green and he'll be going, "If I make this I'll be in the 70's for the first time in my life!". I just chuckle to myself and say congratulations. He'd be lucky to break 100 if he'd play his first ball. He usually loses 15 balls a round because he just sprays them all over the course before he gets a shot he likes.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Note: This thread is 5016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • I had to think about this topic for a while. I don't tend to remember specific details about my putts, but a few do stand out in my mind so I guess they're worth noting. I don't know that I'd call them my favorite but it's close enough. #18 at Spooky Brook Might be the hardest 4' putt I've ever had. Pin was back right and I hit my third shot just to the right of it. The green slopes fairly severely back to front. I read the green but I knew the putt anyway as I've seen it before. I told the guys I was playing with that the putt was it was going to break almost 3' and if it doesn't go in I'd have a longer coming back up for par than I was looking at. It went in. #12 at Quail Brook I'm not even sure how to describe this green properly. It's not quite a two-tiered green, but the back and front are separated by a ridge that goes across the middle of it, with the green sloping harder off the front than the back. You can generally putt from the front to a back hole location but good luck keeping the ball on the green if you putt from back to front. On this particular day, I was looking at the latter. I had to putt up into the apron due to how the ball was going to break and that helped slow the ball down enough to hit the hole at the perfect speed. One of the rare birdies I've seen on that hole. #2 at Hyatt Hills Short par 5. This makes the list because it's the first eagle putt I've ever made, which funny enough happened the day after the first eagle I've ever made. I've made two eagles in all my life and they came on back to back days. I wasn't even planning on playing golf - it was a Monday - but I was doing some work at the place I used to work at when I was younger and catching up with some of the guys I've known for years. They were going out to play in the afternoon and had a spot available. I used to see these guys every day for years but we've never played together, so I said I'm in. I hit a really good approach shot into slope that separated the two tiers on the green and spun the ball closer to the hole. Had roughly 8' left to the hole, a downhill right to left breaker. One of the guys said, "You've got to make this, I've never seen an eagle before," and I said, "I've never made an eagle putt before." And then I made it. #17 at Stoneleigh @GolfLug's post reminded me of my own heroics on #17 a couple of years ago. The hole was back left, in the bottom tier. I hit my approach short of the green and flubbed my chip so it stayed on the top tier. I read how the putt was going to break after the ramp (is that what you call it?), then read my putt up to that point. It needed to basically die at that point because if it hit the slope with any kind of speed, it would long past the hole and possibly off the green. I hit the putt perfectly and holed the 40-footer center cup. #6 at Meadow at Neshanic Valley, #15 in the Round This was during the stroke play qualifier of my tournament. It might be a little bit of recency bias and I hit some really good long putts in the four rounds I played, but this 7-footer was my favorite putt of the entire tournament. The hole was cut on the top of a ridge. I hit my tee shot short right but hit a pretty good chip just long and below the hole. Play had backed up at this point, with the ladies waiting on the tee while we were finishing up. I hit the putt just a hair on the high side and it curled around the hole, fell back a couple of inches and stopped on lip. We all looked at it incredulously, "How does that not fall in?" Before I took my first step towards the hole, the ball must have thought the same thing and decided to drop.
    • I don't remember a ton of putts, but I've thought about this a bit and came up with 2 good ones. #5 at Mid-South: 2017 Newport Cup I remember the putt pretty well, but the surrounding details are a little hazy. I believe this was in my singles match against @cipher, and it was a hole he was stroking on. I had hit a mediocre approach to the front of the green and had what must have been a 50 foot putt to a back pin. If I remember correctly, @cipher was pretty close for an easy par at worst. I had @mvmac help me out with a read, which ended up being a great read by him. Hit the putt and jarred it for birdie. It was perfect speed, too, would have been an easy 2 putt if it hadn't gone in. I think we ended up tying for the hole. But I rarely make putts that long, and doing it to steal half a hole was really nice. #3 Fox Hollow (Links): 2023 Match Play This was on the third extra hole of a scratch match against a legitimate 0 handicapper. We had tied after 18 holes and traded pars on the first two extra holes. On the third extra hole, he had about 30 feet for birdie; I had about 25. We were on pretty much the exact same line. He missed his putt just on the low side, and I conceded the par. I felt good over this putt - I knew the break well and just needed good speed. I hit a great (not perfect) putt, and BAM, back of the cup for the victory on the 21st hole. I will say that the speed wasn't great, as it would have been a few feet past if it didn't hit the cup. But I wanted to give the ball a chance and take a bit of break out of it. I went on to win the match play tournament, which is my only tournament victory in a scratch event.
    • there will be lots of changes.  i mean, look at newey past, each team fell off a cliff when he moved on i think max is the magic bullet   if red bull loses him then whee are they going for drivers?   lots of young talent but he is a proven winner and i’m sure top engineers love to work with him  
    • I too, like @GolfLug, remember great wedge, iron shots, or my missed putts, more than my made putts. My most memorable recently, would be: #17 Old Course St. Andrews (last year) I had been putting awful all day (I started 3 putt, 4 putt, 3 putt, 3 putt), but found a putting stroke on the back 9 and was 1 under on the back going into 16 and of course I 3-putted it for a bogey. Got to 17 and my playing partner just hit it into the hotel, so I went a little more left and decided to not try and hit it over the hotel.  And as soon as my ball was in the air, I heard one of the other caddies do the chicken noise.  LOL My shot was a little more left than I wanted, about 185 yards, I hit a 6-iron and it was drawing right at the flag.  The pin was just to the right of he bunker and towards the front of the green. My ball hit short (and just missed going into said bunker) and stopped about 15 feet left of the hole. Had a little left to right break and as soon as I hit it, I knew it was in.  Birdie on the road hole, looked at the caddie and said not bad for a Chicken.  Parred 18 (missed 10 foot birdie putt) for a 35 on the back 9 at the Old Course. #18 Springfield G&CC Last year while playing in our season long match play event, my partner and I get the 18th hole needing to win the match to move on into the knockout round.  We are tied going into 18.  A tie and we lose on overall points by .5.  Our teaching pro is on the other team (very good golfer), so we were pretty sure we needed a birdie to have a chance to win the match, I hit on of the best drives I hit all day and had about 135 yards to the pin, but it was in a place where you didn't really want to be long.  So I hit a PW and it landed just short of the flag but released about 12 feet past the hole, so have a devilish putt coming back down the hill.  Our competitors were away and the pro missed his birdie putt by inches, I thought it was in when he hit it.  So after reading the putt, which probably had a 2 cup left to right break, I made the putt to win the match.   #15 Springfield G&CC A few years back, was playing in the first round of the Club Championship (against the previous years runner-up) and my putter was balky all day.  Got to the 15 hole, 2nd Par 5 on back, and was 3-down with 4 to play.  We both hit good drives, both hit good second shots and we both hit decent 3rd shots.  I was about 15 feet and he was just a hair longer.  He missed his putt, I had another slider putt down the hill, with about a foot of right to left break and made the putt.  I birded the next hole, to go 1 down, but not a memorable putt as I only needed a bogey to beat him on that hole, he had all kinds of issues going on.  Lost on 17, as he birdied it, right after I missed mine to lose 2&1.
    • Wordle 1,049 3/6* ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨 ⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩  

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...