IGNORED

Comments? Discussion? Qualifying for a Nationwide tournament by 2011.

tsdnorton
Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://theminorleaguegolftour.com/news.asp

Here's a link to a minor league tour full of guys who would do anything to qualify for Nationwide. Funny thing, I know one of the guys on the front page pretty well and he has been chasing this dream for a long time now. Check out the scores...crazy.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't listen to the negativity...it's coming from a bunch of guys who never had a chance in the first place. They are just jealous of your early success. You got yourself to a 7.8 in just a few months. You can do it. I played college baseball and consider myself pretty athletic, but I've been playing and practicing regularly for about 9 months and my best score has been an 87. I'm impressed with what you have done in such little time. Look at Rickie Fowler...he didn't pick up golf all that long ago. He went from a 14 year old dirt bike racer to NCAA golfer of the year as a freshman in 3 1/2 years.

Irons: MP 57 with Project X Rifle 6.0 shafts
Driver: Big Bertha 460 (9 degree loft) with UST ProForce 66g V2X Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.14, Spin Milled Black Nickel 60.07, Spin Milled Black Nickel 52.08 (next purchase)
Putter: White Hot XG #6
Ball: TP Red

I have to call BS on the Rickie Fowler comment...he has been playing since three.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

. And...even if you broke 75 100% of the time you played, there'd still be 5000 players within 50 miles of you who would thrash you every time. Get a grip on reality

You need to get a grip on reality if you think there are that many scratch golfers out there. Although I think you are over doing it to get your point across.

Before I respond to a few posts. Thanks for the feedback. But some people (not all) are missing the point. I'm not talking about making a living, or even making the cut in the tournament itself. I'm talking about qualifying for ONE tournament. JUST ONE. Going to a monday Q and making ONE cut. Not consistantly, not all the time, and not for a career. I'm talking about making ONE CUT.

It's okay though, I just have seen people I know who are scratch make the cut for ONE tournament. I'm not even talking about a huge tourney just a minor one. But it's alright, I'm still more than dedicated. I went from a +30 Handicap to 7.8 in less than 6 months of play (counting months off ect.) I'm signed up for a lot of upcoming tournaments in the next several months so hopefully that'll help me get more of a mindset. But like I said. I was just asking for a general question :) Not nesc being tar'd and feathered ;) But thank you for all the feedback! Maybe I can play with a few of you guys from california?
What's with all the negativity?

I appreciate the first posotive reinforcement post I've seen! Thank you!

He's a 7.8 handicap and has played a few times with Bob May. I do wonder if I am losing my mind sometimes when the replies are 'he's never played with a tour player obviously' or 'he must cheat'. Am I missing something?

I was wondering if anyone read my other post about playing with Bobby or a few other big Nationwide tour stars who played on the PGA for a while. But I mean it's otay. I was looking for a general oversight. I guess I'm getting it! haha

I don't think so but good luck.

Going to a 7.8 in less than a year is impressive. I say have some realistic goals first, getting your handicap down to scratch, play some tournament golf etc...

Before I respond to a few posts. Thanks for the feedback. But some people (not all) are missing the point. I'm not talking about making a living, or even making the cut in the tournament itself. I'm talking about qualifying for ONE tournament. JUST ONE. Going to a monday Q and making ONE cut. Not consistantly, not all the time, and not for a career.

we heard you loud and clear bro - so take your earplugs out and listen up

i will GUARANTEE you will not Monday qualify for one Nationwide tournament in the next 12 months....or the next 24.....or the next 36...should i go on? no disrespect man, honestly like i said before qualify for a state am, or win your local club championship 1st......and win by 10 then do it again and again and again......then you can spend your hard eared money on trying to Monday qualify.....and not make it
Don't listen to the negativity...it's coming from a bunch of guys who never had a chance in the first place. They are just jealous of your early success. You got yourself to a 7.8 in just a few months. You can do it. I played college baseball and consider myself pretty athletic, but I've been playing and practicing regularly for about 9 months and my best score has been an 87. I'm impressed with what you have done in such little time. Look at Rickie Fowler...he didn't pick up golf all that long ago. He went from a 14 year old dirt bike racer to NCAA golfer of the year as a freshman in 3 1/2 years.

jealous of his success? what success? because he dropped his index playing w his buddies to a 7?

yea ok, its good for him....great - jealous? not even close dude i started golfing when i was 14 - and never in my life have i shot in the tripple digits won the junior club championship MY FIRST YEAR GOLFING, w a 7pc set and (D, 5w, 3, 5, 7, 9, Putter) and shot 83 to win......3 months after i took it up played H/S golf and won MANY matches and tourney's played on the provincial team 2 years in a row won MANY tournsments and club championships up to the age of 20 currently a 3.1 index and dropping ...and this resume wont hold a candle to MANY guys on here...who also know they wont make it either sorry.....i am not trying to sounds like my sh*t dont stink, but not jealous in any way shape or form i have put my time in and would NEVER think i have what it takes to make in on ANY major tour, like the Nationwide you have to have some raw talent in this game, lessons wont cut it sorry man, but your clueless......completely clueless
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I’ve shaved myself down to a 7.8 with zero help or lessons in less than a year. If I got a decent instructor and spent some time with video and swing aids what’s the probability of me Qualifying for a tournament by next year?

Who cares what the chances are. Get yourself an instructor, set some goals for yourself and make a run at it for 2012 or whenever. It seems like you could have some talent so if you have the motivation for it, go for it. Everybody will likely tell you that you have little to no chance at it, and the odds would support that. But who gives a crap. See what you got inside. At least you can say you had the balls to try for it.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Chase your dreams until your broke, or realize that it may not be possible. I think I can make the tour too, but I have win the Powerball first.........still working on that one lol.

Really if I can get to scratch and shoot under par 10-15 times a year I will consider myself a pretty acomplished golfer. I wouldnt mind playing in a practice round with a PGA Tour player, but I know there is just not enough time or money to even be able to qualify for a tour event. I wouldnt mind taking a shot at Q School if I had 5 grand laying around to burn lol.....when I get better of course.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know, for as many times as I've seen this question posed on this forum since I first joined, this is the first OP who hasn't thrown a hissy fit and started name calling when we've given him the bad news. So instead of a 0.000001% chance I'd tell your average person asking this question, I'll give you a 0.0001% chance, which ain't bad if you think about it. But you should obviously keep up the good work though. Just try to keep your feet on the ground for now and see where all the hard work takes you.

And it's a great feat to be able to get down to a 7.8 in the little time you've played the game. But honestly, I think if you're one of those people who has a very good natural flying wedge at impact, then you can get down to this handicap relatively quickly with enough practice. Most of us though have the natural inclination to flip and/or keep our weight back, so it takes longer (like 3-5 years or more) to reach that same point.

Like the others have said, the distance between a 7.8 and a + handicap is incredibly wide.

This diagram is pretty crude obviously, but I'd say the distances between levels is something like this, with each dash mark representing an arbitrary measure of difficulty. Clearly this is extremely dumbed down, so sorry about that. I'm definitely not trying to insult the other high handicappers out there with this. This game can be extremely hard for anyone at any level.:

36-30-25-20--17--14--12--10---9---8---7-----6------5--------4---------3--------------2----------------1-----------------------------0-------------------------------------------+1-----------------------------------------------------------+2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+3------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tour Pro

Obviously I'm a bit of a newb so take it for FWIW.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

we heard you loud and clear bro - so take your earplugs out and listen up

So your lack of success gives you the right to be an jerk? I mean that's cool. But honestly, there's a difference between shedding some insight.. and being a jerk? Calm your own high horse down.. Sheesh Man.. It's alright, I mean I can easily take some criticism or I wouldn't have started this post. But there's a difference between critique and insight, and just trying to rant your mouth and be rude.

I was wondering if anyone read my other post about playing with Bobby or a few other big Nationwide tour stars who played on the PGA for a while. But I mean it's otay. I was looking for a general oversight. I guess I'm getting it! haha

Out of curiousity, when you brought this up with Bob May and/or the other big Nationwide tour stars, what was their response? Did they offer any thoughts?

Out of curiousity, when you brought this up with Bob May and/or the other big Nationwide tour stars, what was their response? Did they offer any thoughts?

He told me when I dropped below a +3 I'd get personal help from him and his coach.

tell you what tsdnorton. post up your swing on here.

i've seen a lot of swings in my years of golf. Everyone from some of the best high school players who at +1 handicap couldn't get on the state college team. I've seen the swing of Ryan Moore in person and literally hundreds of absolute amazing amateur players.

Anyone can post up a 7.8 on a forum and say they did it in 6 months. A swing doesn't lie though. Either you got it or you don't.

Post it up and I'll let you know if theres even the slightest chance for you.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

First off, Congrats on making it to a 7.8. I once read a statistic, that said only 1% of all golfers can actually break 90 palying by the rules of golf. Legitimate tournament golf is a different monster than what 99.9% are accustom to playing. While the pressure of making a living would not be there for you, there would be hitting a tee shot off a tee through a gallery, putting mistakes behind you and having people watch and snicker as you burn the edge of the cup...it gets to you. The ability to block that out...HUGE!!!
I say, register for your state amatuer, and the USGA events (Am, Pub Am, and or Mid-Am). These will give you a real good idea, of what you would be up against. Then just place in the top 2 of the Am and you can play the Master's without having to qualify???

Once you have done all of that. You are going to have to purchase some clubs, because I doubt you are using conforming grooves. Then you must be below a 2.0 to apply, then you must apply through you local PGA sectional office (on the NW website), then you pay an entry fee of $450. Then to the fun part. You and 180 golfers will battle it out for 13-14 spots, of which 3-4 are already taken by sponser's exemptions. So you will fight it out with every club pro, asst pro, mini-tour guy, college golfer and high school stud with the area for those approx. 10 spots. My event this past year, the qualifers all shot 65-66.

From there its gravy, all you have to do is play against some of the best talent in the world!

I say go for it! So what if you have 0.0% chance, at least you tried. I understand that not everyone is capable, just because they want it...but who knows? The one thing I can absolutly promise you is that if you dont try, then you will not qualify. Yes it is hard, and yes it is a long shot..but what the heck...it would make a story you could tell you granchildren about.

The reality is there is a small chance of qualifying, but what does it hurt to try. If you worked for it and failed, well then you would have still improved your game and played alot of golf...and isnt playing golf our goal??? Dont let the negative neds get you down!

don't listen to these guys who are telling you you've got no chance. there's always a chance if you want it bad enough, and have the talent with which to walk the talk. considering you've come so far without a swing coach, i'd tell you emphatically NOT to get a swing coach. if you can hit your fairway wood off the deck then your long irons should be a piece of cake. try coming in on a shallower, NOT flatter, angle of attack and follow through. this will take out any chance of a duck hook, but it does bring into play a fade which is easy to talk to. once you've got a nice 5-10* 3 iron fade, you can work on shaping a draw. its easy if you take your time and don't expect miracles. but for christ's sakes, don't listen to all the hater.

First off, Congrats on making it to a 7.8. I once read a statistic, that said only 1% of all golfers can actually break 90 palying by the rules of golf. Legitimate tournament golf is a different monster than what 99.9% are accustom to playing. While the pressure of making a living would not be there for you, there would be hitting a tee shot off a tee through a gallery, putting mistakes behind you and having people watch and snicker as you burn the edge of the cup...it gets to you. The ability to block that out...HUGE!!!

I saw you're from Athens. I graduated from UGA. :)

Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!