IGNORED

Moving to Huddler by 2011

iacas
Note: This thread is 4940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's not really what we're doing here. We can add sections to the site down the road. But yeah, a club building section wouldn't be a bad idea. Equipment junkies will love the new site because we'll be able to have separate product listings for any golf product out there - people can say "Own it" or "Used to own it" or "Want it" and post reviews with one- to five-star ratings, text, etc.

gotcha.....im just watching the vid for the move..i get it now......

EDIT: I like the reviews page link you have posted and the regional idea...just dont forget to add us Canadians too...Miller and I will feel left out! ;)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Large avatars - I like the focus to be on the posts, so I don't like big avatars, but it's OK
- Left side postbit - Useful both for identifying the user and having access to handicap index
- Reputation - I don't have a personal need for this, but it isn't exactly in the way
- User groups (Instructor, Newbie, Established, Registered, Bad Seed, Penalty Box) - Yes, it is useful to know a user being banned, and those inctructors/pros we have on the site
- Free Marketplace - It attracts users, and is a nice feature.
- User blogs - A good addition to the new vBB version, definitely a keeper
- Profile Fields (handicap index, online scorecards, righty/lefty, etc.) - Yep, keep it all

I do hope there will be an option to disable signatures, as I prefer forums without them.

There are probably a ton of features you can add to a site like this. My main concern is the functionality of the forum. Posts being easy to read, not too much excessive spacing here and there, fancy pancy stuff. Some themes to select from for those who prefer different colors etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
- Large avatars -

I mean the current size. I don't think the current size avatars take away from the posts. The default on some Huddler forums I've seen is much smaller.

Reputation -

The site is built on it and we have people who are Bad Seeds and whatnot. In general, everyone's done a super job of using the tool. It ties into the user groups.

I do hope there will be an option to disable signatures, as I prefer forums without them.

It's already in there yes.

There are probably a ton of features you can add to a site like this. My main concern is the functionality of the forum. Posts being easy to read, not too much excessive spacing here and there, fancy pancy stuff. Some themes to select from for those who prefer different colors etc.

I think you get one theme, but I'll put down "themes" and see what they have to say.

Let's try to keep the discussion on features that aren't yet listed that you like, not discussion of whether you like or dislike current features, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There is a football forum in which you can "Thank" a particularly poignant, funny, or interesting post. That "thanks" counts toward reputation and is also visible in-thread to highlight it to other posters. It's the only site I've seen that uses that function but everyone there seems to like it.

I didn't see it mentioned yet but I use the subscription function a lot so I can review threads in which I've posted. I assume this is built-in but it is definitely a useful feature.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

• Administrator
There is a football forum in which you can "Thank" a particularly poignant, funny, or interesting post. That "thanks" counts toward reputation and is also visible in-thread to highlight it to other posters. It's the only site I've seen that uses that function but everyone there seems to like it.

I think Huddler lets you rate posts, but I'll ask.

I didn't see it mentioned yet but I use the subscription function a lot so I can review threads in which I've posted. I assume this is built-in but it is definitely a useful feature.

99% sure their subscription options are basically the same. You can even subscribe to products (IIRC) to see when new things are posted AND to individual people to see when they're active on the site.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i am a member on a few snomobile forums and they have this feature as well

i like it too - it's another way of "earning" rep points
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Regarding the reputation, I think the fact that the recipient sees your reason and identity is a really good feature. I know that I'm sometimes (in moments of weakness) tempted to knee-jerk rate someone down for saying something that annoys me. Knowing that they'll see my name next to the comment helps me think more carefully about whether I'm about to act out of spite or because I really think their behavior is detrimental to the discussion.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Iacas, I do think that it's a good idea overall and totally understand if you do it. However, I am scared of two things: One, that increased traffic would lead to a bunch more trolling. And two, I really enjoy the community here, and feel like I know most of the regular contributors to some degree from reading their posts. It would be too bad if it expanded to a point where the "small" feel of the place is lost, and kind of turned into golfwrx where you have no idea who anyone is.

That said, I totally understand your reasons for doing it, and I may have nothing to worry about.

My priority is ease for movement, repeatedly using back buttons is a pain. Especially when going through a new posting list, being able to go back to one of the major content areas is not enough, I want a way to retain my originally generated list withoug losing my place and updating the list. even if I have read throug multiple pages of posts.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

OK, a quick update. We're moving forward. No commitments yet, but we're investigating things thoroughly.

Ah, that explains the aesthetically pleasing blue gradient below my avatar. I was wondering about that.

- Large avatars

+1 to all those. A couple of my own:

• One thing I've really liked about this forum is that visiting it doesn't automatically mark all posts as read after some period of inactivity. I don't know if it's a relatively new feature of vBulletin, but most forums I've been on will flag all posts as read after you leave the site, thus only showing new posts since the last time you visited the forum as being unread. Since I like to hop on and off as time permits I rarely commit to reading all the new content I'm interested in when I visit. I prefer to manually select the "Mark Forums Read" link. So I've loved this feature. Keeping a way to click this from the main page would be nice.
  • I like the unintuitive ad layout, as others have mentioned. Specifically, I like how there are no ads between user posts.
  • I'd prefer to be able to load more posts per page. Right now the most per page is 27. I don't know if this is for ad (or just to continue the 9, 18, pattern?) reasons, but it'd be nice to get it up to 50.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Iacas, I do think that it's a good idea overall and totally understand if you do it. However, I am scared of two things: One, that increased traffic would lead to a bunch more trolling. And two, I really enjoy the community here, and feel like I know most of the regular contributors to some degree from reading their posts. It would be too bad if it expanded to a point where the "small" feel of the place is lost, and kind of turned into golfwrx where you have no idea who anyone is.

Good point. Keeping the current "3 posts before you start a thread" rule is a decent deterent to the shallow signup-"can u fix my slice k thx by"-n-leave types. Adding a mod or two should keep interaction in order. That's always a valid concern, but something I think TST could handle.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I am a member on Mustangforums.com, as well as several other Ford Mustang/Motorcycle forums. I haven't experienced Huddler before, but my other forums have done so many different transitions on vBulletin so it will take some time getting used to. In the end, the changes are usually for the good and help people navigate the site better.

I like how the sub forums are setup, and if we had a "moderator/Forum Leader" for each section that would help iacas in catching glitches/trolls. Obviously some parts of the site are used more than others, and the OT section might need a full time watchful eye, but then again, this site's OT section is Rated "G" compared to other sites I have experienced.

Looking forward to the transition, if it happens :)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
I'd prefer to be able to load more posts per page. Right now the most per page is 27. I don't know if this is for ad (or just to continue the 9, 18, pattern?) reasons, but it'd be nice to get it up to 50.

I don't know if that'll change or what. I'm not sure what their policy is. I've noted it and will ask about it.

And yeah, it's 27 here for page load times and ad reasons. I could put ads between posts and let you show as many as you'd want, but I don't want ads between posts. And I haven't seen ads between posts on any of the Huddler platform sites I've seen.
i am a member on a few snomobile forums and they have this feature as well

A Huddler site I was on today had a "thumbs up" button. Unfortunately I tested it out and I wasn't able to unclick it, so someone got a thumbs up for a completely stupid post on a forum I won't name.

Huddler tells me that reputation is 60+ days away (which might coincide with the relaunch of the site), but they're working on it.
Regarding the reputation, I think the fact that the recipient sees your reason and identity is a really good feature. I know that I'm sometimes (in moments of weakness) tempted to knee-jerk rate someone down for saying something that annoys me. Knowing that they'll see my name next to the comment helps me think more carefully about whether I'm about to act out of spite or because I really think their behavior is detrimental to the discussion.

I think having your name on it encourages giving positive reputation as well.

Iacas, I do think that it's a good idea overall and totally understand if you do it. However, I am scared of two things: One, that increased traffic would lead to a bunch more trolling.

Traffic doesn't necessarily mean trolls. For example, let's say you visit 200 pages per month right now. Let's say we add 10% more users than the rate at which we currently add users, and ALSO you visit 25% more pages in a month because you're looking at getting new irons so you're spending some time looking over the reviews of irons. Or places to play golf. Or whatever...

That's more traffic with no real risk of trolling. I'm with you on the other site. That place is a bit of a madhouse at times.
I like how the sub forums are setup, and if we had a "moderator/Forum Leader" for each section that would help iacas in catching glitches/trolls. Obviously some parts of the site are used more than others, and the OT section might need a full time watchful eye, but then again, this site's OT section is Rated "G" compared to other sites I have experienced.

Frankly, you guys have done a really nice job of helping. People tend to report spam pretty quickly and if you don't see it, it's because it was found and removed pretty quickly.

But from your comment I added "report post functionality" to the list of things vBulletin has that I want to check to see if Huddler also has.

Golf Course Review by users.. not narrative one.. conditions and management specific, by region/state or something with round date. I don't want to go to courses that are known to be good courses but current condition is not that good. Every week is different such as aerification, closed hole, bad management (without rangers), and so on. If there is course review section that we all can chip in after rounds, that would be great.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

Golf Course Review by users.. not narrative one.. conditions and management specific, by region/state or something with round date. I don't want to go to courses that are known to be good courses but current condition is not that good. Every week is different such as aerification, closed hole, bad management (without rangers), and so on. If there is course review section that we all can chip in after rounds, that would be great.

GOOD ONE!!! Kinda like a beware/recommended course section!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
GOOD ONE!!! Kinda like a beware/recommended course section!

Yes, it'll have a course review section but as to how timely the updates are, I can't say - I doubt people are going to post the conditions after each round of golf they play or something.

• I like the unintuitive ad layout, as others have mentioned. Specifically, I like how there are no ads between user posts.

I didn't check my spell-checker. I meant un-intrusive, not unintuitive.

• Administrator
I didn't check my spell-checker. I meant un-intrusive, not unintuitive.

Uh, yeah. Un-intrusive definitely makes more sense.

Note: This thread is 4940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!