IGNORED

How do they hit it so far???

WhiteMF
Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Secret to long drives,

1) Contact with the center of the face. When i catch on on the heal it goes about 20 yards less than when i catch one dead center in the sweet spot.
2) golf ball and the golf club, if you get one that causes the ball to fly to high or to low, your gone.
3) Club head speed, which is not about swinging hard. Look at Els versus Phil. Phil just looks like he ripps at the ball sometimes, and els just lays the club down on the ball with ease. Both have comparable distance, both can bomb it over 300.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nope,lets do this. Like I said, I don't play much anymore,and I already mentioned a three year layoff.I don't bet on something unless I am sure,who knows you could be a sandbagger,but I will bet that money if you come to Hacienda Heights and go to the range I mess around at to see if my 290carry is true or not.

I find it kind of lame that you "have not had a official handicap for years" but you estimate your self to be a 2.3. Not a 2 or a 3 but 2.3. If someone asked you how much do you think that car costs do you say "about $37,547.34"

. How much do you think Tiger weighs? 207lbs 7oz??? What a joke. If you are scratch or a 1 (as 2.3 is 'modest') not sure why you wouldn't want some action from 6 cap willing to play you straight up. Any how I think you should take your cap of you profile as you don't have one.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I find it kind of lame that you "have not had a official handicap for years" but you estimate your self to be a 2.3. Not a 2 or a 3 but 2.3. If someone asked you how much do you think that car costs do you say "about $37,547.34"

Uh,that was my last official handicap,and that was like 8 years ago. UGH, If you play 4 rounds in the last 3 years,You wouldn't want to bet that kind of money.Look,if at a time where you play where 1/3 of the time you are shooting par or under at over average slope courses than you are a plus.

There are nothing that I am saying which isn't factual. I never said i am great right now,but give me a month where I could play 2 or 3 times a week,and than I'll be confidant,but it is time I have nor care to spend.This is just getting to be a pissing contast. The topic was how do they hit it long not,and I am hoping for a discussion but you guys want to turn it in to how well I am playing right now.I know I have some simple and interesting thoughts that could help some folks and that is why I am posting.

I have no reason to doubt your performance, seeing some better videos, both DTL and FO of your swing could be something we could learn from.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

SHows you what you guys know about a swing. The flat bottom and ascending blow is what counts.

I guess the PGA pro's don't know too much about the swing either as the tour average for angle of attack with the driver is - 1.3*. Many of the big boys hit down with the driver for the most part. Also hitting it long at a range is one thing but long on the course is very different, one the course it has to be on play and you don't have a bucket to grove your swing.
3 and 5 Wood X
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I will stop with the pissing contast and I will only answer to serious questions.

Look,I get frustrated becasue when I play or practice people are swinging the hack out of the club and have no idea what they are doing.

One of the keys to power is understanding release. A release happens when your joints connect and extend. RIght hip joints connecting to right elbow will create a release.All power swings have hip close to the right elbow during later part of the downswing.

One can understand many things just by examining the right elbow. I will give you an example.Just with your right arm free, create the 90 degree like you do on a normal swing,get your right elbow ahead in an inside out matter.Basically **throw** your right arm inside out and slightly ahead of your starting position. IT will give you an forearm rotation. If you go outside in, no rotation until much later after the starting point or inother word close to impact postion.Ever wonder why it is so advantageous to go inside out or to relax your arm?? It will allow you to throw and rotate the right joint, both huge keys in power.

Look, if one understand how the human joint rotate and connect just focus on the right elbow and how it intereact with the body,one can deduce how to release the right elbow by using the lower body or core.

Example,if you swing up with the right elbow,it will give you an rotation of the forearm,BUT rotation will occur much earlier than the starting position,meaning you have to add some forward movement of the body,so that you have rotation and impact position.

Another example,if you closely attach your right elbow to your body on the backswing,and attack the ball with your core and get it to impact position,it will carry the right elbow and give it a good rotation of the forearm. A good way to shorten your swing and still retain power and probably the most consistent swing.

Look focus on the right elbow,throw it,get it ahead inside out,outside in etc...........understand how that works and how it intereact with the body and how it connect to the body and how the release is basically the joints connecting and extending and than you will gain easy power..... Done correctly the joints connect and than rotate.Understand that and you probably never have to take a lesson .I can manipulate planes like crazy because i understand how the human joints intereact and if one understand how the right elbow functions,it will definetly be a great starting point .

Look I did this because I thought it would be fun, but I don't really appreciate the cynicism when I know I could simplify things for many and golf is not random as many people think. Not sure anymore if this is even worth the effort or "fun".

I guess the PGA pro's don't know too much about the swing either as the tour average for angle of attack with the driver is

well,before you hit it long at the course, you have to practice hitting it long at the range,you know that is what the pros do know. I don't need a bucket,just need 10 balls to warm up and I have an exact idea what i want to accomplish,which probably explain why I could swing as hard as I want and still have some semblance of consistency.

I don't study PGA swings much but this I know,ascending blow struck on more toward top part the clubface will give you max distance. That is beyond PGA,that is science and laws of physics. I am going to ask you a simple question- can you get to that PGA average angle of attack and how do you get there??You talk about stuff and "positions" that you have no idea how to get to and what good does that do you? Thing is I know exactly why I pull or push,or hook. I could hit it high,hit it low,draw it fade it and I have 1/2 swing,3/4 swings I have an exact idea of how to get there.Not sure of I would practice everything if I was to be serioius about playing on a course regularly,but it is fun and that in the end is all this should be-just fun.

I watched your video. You don't carry the ball 290 consistently, and I'm being generous and considering "25% of the time" to be "consistently."

You turned this thread into a discussion about you by playing the "I don't care how far they hit it - I can hit it farther" card.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

BTW,I didn't say consistently, but by the fact that you say 25%,it recongnize the fact that I am capable and I could repeat it,which was all I intended and said and that others wouldn't even credit me with.The fact that I am not big in stature,you would think I would be allow some leeway when I say it is technique and This is a thread about how do they hit it so far,not how good of a player are you right now and if you are 230,not much technique involved,but when you are not even 150 lbs,you better know how to maximize your power potential and trust me I have another gear and that was just a routine swing to see myself and where I am with my swing after a 3 year layoff but anyways...

Fine you guys win. I am done.I gave good effort to explan keys to power which I could trace back pretty scientifically to connection,plane and whip but obviously you guys don't care and I am disscussing golf and just defending myself with facts.If you can't distinguish things that are factual from the BS,what does that say about your knowlege of golf or you as a person in general??

I guess you guys are more interested in studing other people's positons and admiring them than thinking outside of the box and figuring out how to do it yourself.I am out.

BTW,this forum is a great example of attacking the poster and not the post.

BTW,I didn't say consistently, but by the fact that you say 25%,it recongnize the fact that I am capable and I could repeat it, that others wouldn't even credit me with and the fact that I am not big in stature,you would think I would be allow some leeway when I say it is technique and trust me I have another gear and that was just a routine swing but anyways...Fine you guys win. I am done.I gave good effort to explan keys to power which I could trace back pretty scientifically to connection,plane and whip but obviously you guys don't care and I am disscussing golf and just defending myself with facts.If you can't distinguish things that are factual from the BS,what does that say about your knowlege of golf or you as a person in general??

Thank you for that!

BTW,I didn't say consistently, but by the fact that you say 25%,it recongnize the fact that I am capable and I could repeat it

I don't recognize that you're capable of carrying the ball 290. Not even 10%. I was being generous by saying 25%, because if you can't do something 25% of the time you may as well not pretend you can do it at all - it's an anomaly.

This is a thread about how do they hit it so far,not how good of a player are you right now and if you are 230,not much technique involved,but when you are not even 150 lbs,you better know how to maximize your power potential and trust me I have another gear and that was just a routine swing but anyways...

Technique is involved. I don't know if you know all of the proper technique. If you wanted to hit the ball farthest, there's a LOT more to it than your bit about connection and the right elbow staying close to the body. In fact, less of that - Jim Furyk's right elbow stays really close to his body. He ain't a bomber (farther than you probably).

If you can't distinguish things that are factual from the BS,what does that say about your knowlege of golf or you as a person in general??

Ha, so now you're criticizing people's character? Seriously?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

BTW,I didn't say consistently, but by the fact that you say 25%,it recongnize the fact that I am capable and I could repeat it,which was all I intended and said and that others wouldn't even credit me with.The fact that I am not big in stature,you would think I would be allow some leeway when I say it is technique and This is a thread about how do they hit it so far,not how good of a player are you right now and if you are 230,not much technique involved,but when you are not even 150 lbs,you better know how to maximize your power potential and trust me I have another gear and that was just a routine swing but anyways...

I really don't understand why you're upset. You started out saying:

5'9" 150 lbs and I carry the ball 290 regularly

Most people would agree that "regularly" means most of the time. I think you're being less than truthful and I called you on it.

Then you followed with:
Well,first of all, I am in the top 10% of the golfer in the world. Not PGA,but general golfer. Secondly, Notice I said I carry the ball 290 regularly. I did not say that is what I average,meaning I could repeat that swing and I have an exact ideal what I am doing.if you want to make that bet, if you are ever in the LA area. I'll gladly take your money.

You follow that up with:

For me,been there,done that.I am in my 40s done scratch,probably been plus. Shot 69-70 in PGA playing ability. Btw,That is verifyable, and I dare you put money down on that.

So I offered to come out there and give you the opportunity to prove it and all of a sudden you haven't played in years. You really expect me to fly to LA so I can watch you hit balls on the range? No thanks.

Lets see if if we can bury this hatchet. Years ago I was a scratch golfer but that was YEARS ago. Job and family have much greater time requirements now and I don't have the ability to play and practice 5 days a week. Unless you're exponentially gifted maintaining a scratch handicap requires an extraordinary commitment. You may very well have been a great golfer and you may hit some shots 290 but at your size and weight I don't believe it's "regularly". You have to recognize though that I'm not alone in my doubt. This forum is filled with some VERY knowledgeable and very experienced players. We can sense shenanigans a mile away. I'd encourage you to keep contributing but maybe you should dial the rhetoric down just a bit.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

This guy's swing looks like absolute poop. It's obvious he has no skill and everything he says is vastly overestimated. Can we move past it yet?

OP!!!! Don't worry we didn't forget about you. They had a massive tailwind that day, something you definitely don't want to forget about. I'd say it's somewhere along the lines of 10 yards for hitting it pure, 10 yards for delofted face at impact, and 15-20 yards for a 15-20mph tailwind.

BTW,this forum is a great example of attacking the poster and not the post.

Yeah, but your problem is that you allowed your bluff to be called by posting a video of that atrocious swing. And you wonder why people are laughing at your BS.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

well,before you hit it long at the course, you have to practice hitting it long at the range,you know that is what the pros do know. I don't need a bucket,just need 10 balls to warm up and I have an exact idea what i want to accomplish,which probably explain why I could swing as hard as I want and still have some semblance of consistency.

When do I talk about 'positions' ? No where in this thread.

You must be the Moe Norman of the range, becuase even the best in the world don't have the exact control of their swing that you claim to. It must be great to 'own' your swing like that.
3 and 5 Wood X
Irons AP2

I'll put my two cents into this threadjack. I opine that some of you are too harsh on the keep it simple kid.

First of all, I think the spirit of golf is that when a golfer says something is so, you generally accept that it's so. So when he says he regularly hits 290 on the range, you don't simply say well that can't be right you're just a scrawny kid, jeez what a liar. I think that's more classless than a kid bragging too hard on the internet. Then when the kid is called on his honor, he goes to the trouble of youtubing a video of his swing. This tends to make me think that he is essentially honest. I read that he said that he "regularly" hits 290, but for a kid that bashes nothing but drivers on the range, I interpret "regularly" to mean that on a swing that he nails just right that the range markers seem to indicate that he's hitting 290. I'm 55 years old and 5-8 and 185? pounds (maybe 40 pounds of it fat) and I can "regularly" carry low-compression top-flite range balls in WA 250 when there is a slight tailwind and I've hit 50-100 drivers in a row to get in a rhythm. There was a Taylomade demo day a couple months ago and I said give me something that the big boys hit, so he gave me some r9 type of driver and I cleared the 270 yard fence on my second drive, way way up in the air. So if *I* can do it, why not a young kid that's not carrying an extra 40 pounds? Another point to make is that who knows what the range balls are like? Plus he's inland of LosAngeles in the summer and maybe a tailwind? As far as his video swing, I've seen a couple of guys here carry 250 and their swings were utter train wrecks compared to his.

Finally, I didn't read all his posts, most of which seemed to be spent defending his honor, but the main jist he was making was that pros hit the ball far primarily because they understand how to use their power more efficiently than lesser golfers. And I happen to completely agree with that. Then he tries to explain his position with a lot of reasoning and jargon and oh by the way I'm a scrawny kid that can hit 290 so I am not just talking out of my ass.

I'll restate my point that golfers deserve the benefit of the doubt unless it's just beyond the realm of possibility, and then call them on it PRIVATELY and POLITELY. Golfers are capable of amazing things, like a golfer who carries 270 on one leg. I read an old book that showed a guy on the pro circuit in the 50/60's who played with one arm.

I'd advise the kid to keep doing just what he's doing, as long as it motivates him to keep doing it. I think he's essentially got it right.

Back to the original question, I honestly have no idea how/if they hit it that far. I can understand the delofting thing, but there's a limit to how far one can do it, and the difference between that angle and that of a good 5hcp that delofts. Also, if it was purely from delofting, there's no way they'd get any height on it to stop it on greens. I realize the guys that are getting that kind of distance out of irons are bigger/taller guys as well, with the matched equipment...not to mention they're the best golfers in the world. I saw that Kaymer hit a 2iron over 270 as well, that's crazy. All I know is that the longest I've seen anyone hit a level, no wind 6i is 200yds...and that was huge.

I'll take the low road and ask, is there a possibility that these distances are not correct?

I will also say, I went to a Duramed Futures tour event (womens developmental) and watching 5'3" 110lb girls bang it out there 240-250yds, will make a 13hcp like myself really hate his swing. There is something to these folks, in the PGA and LPGA being a bit more talented then your weekend golfer like most of us.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I'll put my two cents into this threadjack. I opine that some of you are too harsh on the keep it simple kid.

FYI this 'kid' is 40+. But us older guys like to be called "kids"

I am in my 40s done scratch,probably been plus....

3 and 5 Wood X
Irons AP2

Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!