IGNORED

Comprehensive Camera for Filming your Golf Swing Thread

Harmonious
Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been kind of wanting a digital camera for a while and have recently discovered the wonders of recording my golf swing and looking at it.  I'm wondering what would be a decent camera for right around 200$(less is even better). I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix and would probably be willing to spend a little more on a camera that takes good pictures as well, however the 300$ price tag may be a bit much. Was just wanting to see what you all use for high speed video of your swing and also take pictures with. thanks!

Look for something in the Casio series. You want a high speed version. Lots of threads on here about the Casio's.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its tough to find a casio right now, even the ones on there website are not sold besides from Japan.. I am not sure if they are getting rid of that camera series, or going to introduce a new line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Casio EX-FC100

ebay all the way

anything point and shoot from the Exilim line should be great with good resolution 240 fps, even higher fps but the quality degrades exponentially, and off the bay you shouldnt buy higher than $200

Its tough to find a casio right now, even the ones on there website are not sold besides from Japan.. I am not sure if they are getting rid of that camera series, or going to introduce a new line.

Stretch posted something a few months ago about them coming out with a new line soon:http://thesandtrap.com/t/53761/slow-motion-cameras/18#post_672672 Shipping in April.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My son got an HDGoPro for X-mas for snowboarding. I have been using that. It will do 1080p: 1920×1080 True HD featuring  a 127º angle of view, 30 fps, and 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio

The only drawback I see is there is not a rear lcd to see what your shooting, but that have an add-on lcd you can put on the back.

30FPS is nowhere near good enough for a "decent" look at a golf swing unfortunately. Don't get me wrong; the best I have right now is my iPhone 4S camera which is the same FPS and HD recording as the HDGoPro but it's not enough for a clear look.

A decent FPS camera is on my "to purchase" list for some point in the future but right now it's a no no.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I've had the casio before great camera but, they are so expensive because of the limited quantity.  I picked up a canon elph 300 HS it does 120 and 240fps and I honestly think it beats the casio fc 100 my freind has.  Also it can be picked up at bestbuy for 180 bucks.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Is this the one you're talking about? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+ELPH+300+HS+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/2044104.p?id=1218306949123&skuId;=2044104&st;=canon%20elph%20300%20HS%20&cp;=1&lp;=1

If so I may go pick one up this week. Any specific memory card brands you would recommend?

Originally Posted by Philip9210

Is this the one you're talking about? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+ELPH+300+HS+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/2044104.p?id=1218306949123&skuId;=2044104&st;=canon%20elph%20300%20HS%20&cp;=1&lp;=1

If so I may go pick one up this week. Any specific memory card brands you would recommend?

As far a memory cards go, make sure that you get a high enough class so that your video doesn't skip.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS8GSDHC10E/dp/B003VNKNEG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid;=1331658680&sr;=8-3

That is the one that I have and it hasn't given me any problems at all... It's also much cheaper than the ones made by Sandisk and so far the quality has been just fine...

(I've been using mine since January 2011).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yep thats the one.  You have to make sure you are filming in high speed 240.  I had a time finding it because the manual didn't tell you how but, you can download the one off canon website.

EDIT >>>

FOund a video on youtube with the canon golf swing.  Not sure who this guy is but, he looks like a pro....

project x 6.0

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sk golf

I have a Casio EX-FH 100. No complaints.

Yeah, the FH-100 is better than the FC (the FC doesn't let you adjust shutter speed).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I see what you did there. haha Think I'm going to go with that one though after seeing a few vids.

Originally Posted by poser

Yep thats the one.  You have to make sure you are filming in high speed 240.  I had a time finding it because the manual didn't tell you how but, you can download the one off canon website.

EDIT >>>

FOund a video on youtube with the canon golf swing.  Not sure who this guy is but, he looks like a pro....

Smart move.  For the price you can't beat it.  You have to pay like 350 for the casio and I can't see a real difference.  Also the canon is smaller and thinner and in slow motion playback on the camera you can go slower than the casio.

project x 6.0

Went to Best Buy yesterday to pick it up but they didn't have the memory card I wanted so I waited to go check at Wal-Mart....lucky me they had it on sale for 20$ off the price at best buy! My memory card should be coming in the mail tomorrow also. I'm pretty excited and can't wait to get a tripod as well so I can start working on my swing with some video help.

Originally Posted by poser

Smart move.  For the price you can't beat it.  You have to pay like 350 for the casio and I can't see a real difference.  Also the canon is smaller and thinner and in slow motion playback on the camera you can go slower than the casio.

Do you know the resolution of the camera in 240fps mode? I can't find anything about on their website. It seems like you said the feature is hidden. If Canon had this they should at least advertise it a bit more.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!