IGNORED

Taylormade Penta TP Golf ball..... IS AWESOME!

Note: This thread is 4723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand you cant test outside due to wind, barometric changes or whatever but they should at least let the frigging ball fly indoors. Get a structure 317 yards long and high enough. They HAVE the money. So do it. If they're that serious about testing balls then do it right and let them fly, land and roll.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
At least for the original ProV1's which had a seam, i remember an old Golf Digest article and test -- lining up driver with the seam increased distance by a few yards. They didn't measure whether shots struck not along the seam had higher dispersion though. I'm unaware of more recent testing esp in relation to the TM's though. (I do "seam" my tee shots with my TP Black LDP's though!)

The guy in charge of TaylorMade's golf balls - Dean Snell - designed the original Pro V1s, too, and he said there was never anything to the "seaming" that would get you extra yardage. All in people's heads, he said.

And the USGA would confirm that as the balls would have been illegal. Think about this - with a seam, you'd have to hit the ball with NO SIDESPIN for it to really matter, right? Otherwise the seam is oriented in every direction around the golf ball as it goes through the air. Let's use some common sense, people. On a scale of 1-100, the Pro V1x is a 97 or a 98 for me and the Penta TP is a 98 or 99 for me. Just a teeny bit more short-game spin and control, and that's good for my playing characteristics.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i'll take the controlled computer simulation over a an amateur's assessment. sorry to say but the computer simulation is done in a controlled setting and is calculated with numbers extracted from the tests. you on the other hand..is just another guy who played a ball and got "different results".

I'll make this my last post on this topic because we've beat this one to death. I achieved good results with the Penta ball when I tested it. As I mentioned before a buddy of mine said he heard it made a real difference if you hit the balls on the seam. I had switched based on a recommendation from a the sales guy I buy from at Edwin Watts.

You can dog on me as an amateur... and its not untrue. However, I know this because I'm an engineer by trade.... that controlled computer simulation takes static variables into account. The number of dimples is simply a value they probably enter for the test... depending on the brand of ball and what is specified by the supplier. Not sure what other variables there may be for the software to calculate the correct ball flight but the assumption that the software truly understands the effect of the seam (I.E. Seam width, material thickness, material elasticity, etc...) is just as ridiculous. Here is the truth of what I saw. I had 3 sleeves of Penta balls, and a bag full of V1's made in 2010 that I hit from the same tee location with 75 - 85% of my all out swing. As said before I can hit balls out to 230 + and have the balls land within 20 yards of each other... so long as I'm not trying to swing out of my shoes. If I made a bad swing... I wouldn't count it and would re-tee another ball. Hitting the V1's - No problem within 20 yards. Hitting the Pentas - Intentionally not on the seam... same results within 20 yards. Hitting the Pentas - Intentionally on the seam... dispersion as much as 40 yards from one to the next... consistently. I just want to note, there was an obvious undeniable difference when struck on the seam, and the ball would go either more right or left. Again, when intentionally hit not on the seam, it had my regular shot shape, a small baby fade of about 10 yards from center point where I aim. We can argue all day about computer simulations, robot driving machines and my abilities as an amateur. However, I challenge all who call this claim BS to grab a box.... Intentionally hit balls on the seam and then the same balls on the non-seam area. And I'll bet a $100 if they have a swing worth a crap they'll see a real difference on the course. While 20 more yards of dispersion may not seem like much or may be accounted for me being an 'Amateur' I did not see the same dispersion with the same ball when not struck on the seam. Also to my point there wasn't just one outlying ball to account for the 40 yards, none of the 9 hit on the seam had consistent landing patterns, but the same balls when not hit on the seam did have. Don't take an amateurs word for it. Lets review what Jack Nicklaus said about golf seams when it pertained to the V1 of past: Page 1 and 2 of this Article Perhaps, but that doesn't mean seaming doesn't work. Jack Nicklaus, who switched to the Pro V1 this year, says he began experimenting with orienting the ball in May. "The difference is night and day," Nicklaus says. "I turn the line of the seam toward the target when I want a boring flight, and I turn it toward myself when I want the ball to stay in the air longer downwind. The effect is very obvious. The USGA never should have approved the ball." To be fair thought, the clever nerdy scientists at Titelist said this: "All the scientists at Titleist are laughing at this, because there is absolutely no validity to it," he says. "It's unbelievable to me that this idea has caught on." Maybe it's just a problem with whats between my ears, and what was between Jacks.........
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
As I mentioned before a buddy of mine said he heard it made a real difference if you hit the balls on the seam.

He's wrong.

The number of dimples is simply a value they probably enter for the test... depending on the brand of ball and what is specified by the supplier.

No, it's not. Balls come with different dimple patterns, depths, sizes, shapes, etc. They don't just enter a number and make a million assumptions - they thoroughly test the balls in wind chambers and so on, and measure the ball over a short span. It's about a thousand times more complex than you seem to think it is.

In the end, basically, you're wrong, and provably so. This is not a matter of opinion, but rather rigorous scientific testing. You believe a wive's tale (the Pro V1 had the same story attached to it except people said it was "extra distance" - also false). Belief is a powerful thing - maybe you can't play the ball so long as you believe it. But that doesn't make the belief correct.
Not sure what other variables there may be for the software to calculate the correct ball flight but the assumption that the software truly understands the effect of the seam (I.E. Seam width, material thickness, material elasticity, etc...) is just as ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous. Again, you've vastly, vastly, VASTLY under-estimated the sophistication of the USGA's science, equipment, etc.

However, I challenge all who call this claim BS to grab a box.... Intentionally hit balls on the seam and then the same balls on the non-seam area. And I'll bet a $100 if they have a swing worth a crap they'll see a real difference on the course.

Woohoo! You owe me $100. I play the Penta TP. Wrote the review for the site. Used it to shoot 69 the other day, and shot a round of -1 today. Wasn't in a treeline all day either day.

Dude, PGA Tour players use the ball. It just won a major for cryin' out loud. Some, out of superstition, line the ball up on the seam. No offense intended here, but you're completely off your rocker... 40 yard dispersion? 200% the dispersion you normally see? Totally. Off. Your. Rocker. The inventor claims there was no benefit and it was just hocus. This is a great example of the power of suggestion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

hmmmm kind of wishing I never made this topic now, I just wanted to let people know who may not have played the ball before, that it really is a great golf ball!

I don;t actully see the seam your talking about? were is it? Ive looked and looked over it.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

hmmmm kind of wishing I never made this topic now, I just wanted to let people know who may not have played the ball before, that it really is a great golf ball!

If anything, it got rid of some fairy tales. Let's discuss the ball from now on, not hocus pocus.

The seam moves from left to right on the picture posted earlier, it goes right through the Penta logo. You can see the larger distace between the dimples on this line. I've got a box og Penta, but won't be playing them just yet, got some things to fix in my swing before I want to play expensive balls. Already got a box of V1x and two sleeves of V1. It's nice to win tournaments and get free balls.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Think about this - with a seam, you'd have to hit the ball with NO SIDESPIN for it to really matter, right? Otherwise the seam is oriented in every direction around the golf ball as it goes through the air.

I do that. No backspin either. At the home course, they call me "Knuckles" and I am worshipped as a living god.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I switched to the Penta this year after playing Pro V's for the last ten years. I still like the Prov V a lot but from tee to green the Penta performs as well, if not better than any ball I've ever played. Yes, it does feel different than the Pro V but it performs equally as well from tee to green.

Here's the thing that made me switch though, when it comes to low speed shots (chips & short pitches) this ball spins like a gyroscope on crack. I don't know what they did with the cover/core combination but I can hit a wedge from 50 yards or less and this ball spins like a mother. It truly is a hop and stop ball. It took some getting used to and the first few weeks I was consistently coming up short on chips and pitches. With the Penta you can literally throw the ball at the flag from 50 yards and it's like throwing a lawn dart. Once I figured that out I knew I was hooked.

I LOVE this ball and I won't be switching back any time soon.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

The Penta is a great ball and I would probably play it again. I tried it out when I first got back in golf about a 2 months ago and it was pretty soft and had good flight, no crazy patterns here. Off the putter is where I didn't like it as much, but then again I was using a Yes putter and now I switched to the Anser and it will feel different now I am almost certain. The NXT tour and Pro V1 both feel better when I putt. I did notice the seam, one of the first things I noticed after removing it from the sleeve but I think as far as playability goes, its all in the head...IMHO

Overall, the Penta is a great ball for anyone who is wanting to try a different premium ball that will perform as good or better than your current ball..

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

Guys, how is the durability comparison between Pro V1x vs Penta TP? I could play a new Pro V1x after 3+ rounds of golf and still in good condition if i did not lose in the rough or OB. Thanks!

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 9.5* (UST Proforce V2 65 R)
#3, #5, #7 and #9 Wood: Cleveland Launcher (Cleveland Gold, UST Proforce and Grafalloy ProLaunch regular shaft)
Hybrid irons: 5-6, Adams (Graphite Design YS+ Graphite R)
Irons: 7-PW, Adams Tech OS Hybrid (True Temper GS75 steel R)
Wedges: 52*...

Guys, how is the durability comparison between Pro V1x vs Penta TP? I could play a new Pro V1x after 3+ rounds of golf and still in good condition if i did not lose in the rough or OB. Thanks!

I play with Vokey spin milled wedges and on a clean lie they will shredd off some of the cover. I usually only play a ball for 1 full round then they go into the practice ball basket. I haven't had any problems with durability.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

I've played the penta for one round and I loved them. I am not into buying balls right now but if I had a tourney I'd really consider them. I love the way they feel off the putter and around the green. Performance wise I'd say they are very similar to the prov1x. I hunt for balls so I rarely find one therefore rarely play them.

Brian

I've shredded the Penta ball like crazy... I use vokey wedges and it tears them apart. Part of me doesn't even want to try to spin the ball sometimes b/c I don't want to ruin the ball! BUT, ever since I started playing the Penta...when I compare to the pro-v, the penta just suits my game better. sh** I've dropped down to a 1.5 since I started playing the ball... maybe b/c it's just confidence and the fact that I'm playing 4 - 5 days a week... but I love the ball.. putting wise, it feels great.. tee to green it's incredible... controlling the flight and spin is straight up on point too..
and I think that i'd like to fly out with Erik to see him play "Knuckles" on his home course... would be pretty damn interesting to see an "11 HC" that's WORSHIPED as a "God."
And if you don't have backspin on the ball, how do you hit higher shots and spin them backwards? I thought for sure that mostly every ball hit with any club has backspin... I might be wrong, but isn't the spin rate in direct relation to how high the ball can travel?

Come to think of it Stretch, I'll be in your area in a few months... what's the weather like in January? I'd be down to play
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I play with Vokey spin milled wedges and on a clean lie they will shredd off some of the cover. I usually only play a ball for 1 full round then they go into the practice ball basket. I haven't had any problems with durability.

Yeah, durability isn't much of an issue if you play a ball for one 18 holes. My 52* gap wedge will shredd off many urethane cover balls but Pro V1x can really stand it pretty well. Thanks for your reply!

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 9.5* (UST Proforce V2 65 R)
#3, #5, #7 and #9 Wood: Cleveland Launcher (Cleveland Gold, UST Proforce and Grafalloy ProLaunch regular shaft)
Hybrid irons: 5-6, Adams (Graphite Design YS+ Graphite R)
Irons: 7-PW, Adams Tech OS Hybrid (True Temper GS75 steel R)
Wedges: 52*...

I played a Penta and a Z Star side by side today. I like both about equally off the tee. I think the Penta feels just a bit softer to me and thats good. The Penta had a scuff from my first shot with my Callaway X Tour 56* and the Z Star hasnt shown any significant wear really. I found that around the green they both had simialr spin and check up really nicely. The Penta is really a great ball and I like it just as much or more as the Z Star except for durability and the fact that it doesnt come in yellow!

In my cart bag, Driver 909D Comp,Fairway Diablo Edge 3W, Hybrid TWS 18 &23, Irons Diablo Edge 5-Pw, Wedges X Tour vintage 50 X Forged chrome 56 and 64,Putter Rossa Daytona 1, Ball Z Star yellow or a Tri Speed

It is awesome. I used to play the TP Red and the PentaTP is a step up from the Red and Black in spin and distance. A double whammy. All 3 are longer than the ProV1/Prov1X in my testing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I won't play the ball because I can't stand looking at seams, i am however in the market for a gamer as I have never really stayed with one ball and I like the srixon zstar yellow at the moment

In my carry bag
r7 limited driver
Spine driver
909h hybrid
710 CB irons52 and 56 degree wedges Newport 2 putter z-star tour yellow

Note: This thread is 4723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!