IGNORED

Open or Closed Face for Pitch Shots?

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been experimenting with keeping an open face through impact to the finish for all but full pitch shots and seem to be getting better results and more consistent contact as opposed to closing the face over as per a normal full shot.
Anyone vary the clubface like this for different shots any if so what shots/ball lies do you think best suit each approach?

It depends what i want to achieve

If I want it to run, I close the face.

If I want it to stop quicker and land softer I open it.

It might not be right but thats what I do

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

I've been experimenting with keeping an open face through impact to the finish for all but full pitch shots and seem to be getting better results and more consistent contact as opposed to closing the face over as per a normal full shot.

For me...... it depends on the lie and what I want the ball to do. High pitch from a good lie = open face slightly. Lower pitch with some run = face square to slightly shut. High pitch from a tight lie = close eyes, death grip, and a few prayers.

I play all of my pitch shots with an open face. The type of lie i have depends on how much spin on the ball i impart. If i have a clean lie, i actually end up putting more spin on the ball with an open face than with the face square or closed. From greenside rough, i lay it flat and basically hit a bunker shot. When using the bounce on the wedge, this shot is practically idiot proof. An open face in the greenside rough also helps prevent the grass from grabbing the hosel.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I play from a square club face and then in the swing leave the club face open. A little odd but I think I line up better with a square face and then I just have a natural swing that leaves the face open.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

If you leave the club face open, how do you prevent the ball from going off to the right? (or left, if you're left-handed)

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

what I mean is to have the face square at impact and keep it looking skywards right through to the finish. Seems to create more bounce or something and pops the ball up nicely almost all the time. Finish just feels a bit awkward

If you leave the club face open, how do you prevent the ball from going off to the right? (or left, if you're left-handed)

Magic!!!!

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Square to open.... never closed. It depends on the situation. Most often square. I like to let the ball run out with less spin most of the time. I feel that it has a better chance of hitting the hole or the flagstick with the right pace when it rolls to the hole.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I close the face on my 60* and hit a bump and check shot.

The greens aren´t as hard at my course than what most of you guys play on so I don´t need to throw the ball up into the air

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I play all of my pitch shots with an open face. The type of lie i have depends on how much spin on the ball i impart. If i have a clean lie, i actually end up putting more spin on the ball with an open face than with the face square or closed. From greenside rough, i lay it flat and basically hit a bunker shot. When using the bounce on the wedge, this shot is practically idiot proof. An open face in the greenside rough also helps prevent the grass from grabbing the hosel.

This.

I like having a little more spin.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It sounds like some of you need to learn to hit a low skidder with a square, even slightly closed, face. It'll change your life. Plus it looks really cool to hit a low, driven shot that stops dead after a bounce or two. Chicks dig it.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I close the face on my 60* and hit a bump and check shot.

That's what I do as well with my 56*. I focus more on where to land the ball and it takes a couples bounces and stops. If I have to go over a hazard or sloping ridge, I'll use the 60* and get it up.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I typically play with an open face. I like using the bounce to have a little margin of error. With a square face, you hit it a touch heavy it is going to be bad b/c the leading edge digs in. With an open face it goes through the turf so at least the shot is marginal and not horrid. If I got a shot I really want to keep low and run, I will use a square face. I never close the face.

I can hit low spinners with an open face and a decending strike with my 64 or 58. It is kind of strange but if I want I can hit my 64 as low as a pitching wedge but with tons of spin. This is more of a 30 yard pitch.

Brian

Square to maybe a tiny bit open, unless I'm hitting a flop with a super-open face (usually only for fun at the end of a practice session, though did make it over some trees with a 60 degree flop in a situation last round where there was no real alternative).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

You open your stance up but keep the clubhead "pointed" at the target.

As for what I do, my clubface is always square to the target unless I'm hitting a flop shot from a lie in the rough and the ball is sitting up on top of the grass. I do open up my stance so the club isn't directly "square", but I don't open it up like what's being described in this thread. I like to keep my short game shots simple instead of always changing everything for different lies/carries/slopes/etc.

Except in a rare situtation where I really need a high shot, I'll hit everything with a square face. I regulate height by using different clubs.

I figure I make it easier by having the same alignment every time and just change the club. I also hit it square in bunkers.

The ball will go in whatever direction the clubface is aimed, so I aim it straight ahead where I want to hit it, simple.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

In rare occasions I will close the face, but I hit almost all short game shots with an open face. Because I hit all pitch shots with my 60* LW, opening the face barely changes the face angle directionally, but it adds loft and bounce.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!