IGNORED

Ever Been Complimented?

Uncle Peter
Note: This thread is 4993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a decent golf bag, but since I replaced all my OEM headcovers with vintage knit clubsocks, and my irons are 20 years old, when I golf with strangers they don't know what to expect - is this guy a player or a rube who just picked up a bunch of old cra* off kijiji. The fact I usually tee off with a 3-iron or 3-wood on the first hole doesn't help - an iron off the tee? What a dufus. The first compliment I get is usually in a tone you'd use when you're congratulating a toddler for recognizing they need to use the potty. That was a good shot you made there - good boy!

why do you usually tee off with a 3iron of 3 wood on the first tee?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you usually tee off with a 3iron of 3 wood on the first tee?

A lot of courses have a relatively short par 4 to start. If anything between 200 and 230 is good -3 iron. If 230 to 270 is better - 3 wood. Plus I heard that only really good players carry clubs with "3" on them and I'm a poser.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Folk I play with seem to give and get a bunch of compliments. Mostly on shots. If anything for me it's iron GIRs and high lobs. Naturally I even it out with a healthy dose of "pure crap" shots to keep it interesting

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

i guess thats true, a few courses I play have short part 4's on the first. I still dont get how guys on tour like bubba hit a 9 iron 190 yards though.

they don't. I saw someone hit a "9 iron" from 180 yards(keep in mind they always tell distances to the pin) and he came up about 20-25 yards short of the pin. In reality, that 9 iron went about 160 but the "9 iron from 180" always sticks in peoples heads.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

About 20 years ago, I was working on my chipping at a local driving range. An older gentleman brought over about a dozen grade school kids from a parks and recreation golf program. They had just been working on short irons out on the main hitting line.

He kept the kids at a distance, and pointed towards me as I practiced my 8-iron chips. Fortunately, I was having a good day, getting them inside a foot in some cases.

The gentleman walks over, greets me, and asks if it's OK if he talks about my chipping style while I chip. He told me I had a smooth stroke, good follow-through, hands ahead etc. "You've got a good style for the boys to see," he said.

I continued to chip, as he describes what I'm doing, and I even sink one. One of the kids comes over and asks me if I'm a famous golfer. I said no, I just play for fun. Sometimes life is nice.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find golf compliments incredibly hard to receive. Especially since there is a good chance that I will hit a poor shot in the next few holes.

I used to as well....now i dont

after reading paper tiger, i realize that you need to embrase compliments, whether its a good shot to you or not take it in, as it will help promote positive energy and keep you on track and keeping focus (sounds like a quote from Happy GIlmore!! haha!..sorry) I have been complimented on the tempo and smoothness (sp??) of my swing and how far I can get it out there w a swing that is only about 100mph but looks much slower actually, I had a GREAT compliment from 7 of the best golfers on our course yesterday (Championship & 1st flight on tee box) it was our club championship, we were on 16 (217 yd par 3) and it was backed up 2 groups zero wind I step up w a 4i and absolutely flush it to 6 feet (one hop and stop...thank you Pro V1x) i was pretty stoked after that...also won the closest to the pin on this hole
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I've been getting told that I have 'a beautiful swing' since before I could break 100. I think I just have a smooth tempo and good balance, even on my awful shots (my hands/impact is a problem, I'm working on it).

Funniest moment along those lines: playing a round with a buddy, we get hooked up with 3 guys (yes, a fivesome), and one I'm pretty sure is using some early morning alcohol to cure a hangover and is getting a bit buzzed. He comments, after one drive, on how nice my swing is, fine. A couple holes later, I take driver, and duck-hook the s**t out of it, and I'm not happy, to say the least. I walk back to the cart, and he's got this confused look on his face, and says, "man, what's going wrong? Your swing is so nice, how is that happening?!?!?" His buddies, with clearer minds, seeing my frustration, are going, "dude, just shut up, would ya?!?!"

Best moment was after I joined my club recently, which has a LOT of good players. I play in an ABCD tournament (each foursome has an 'A' player, a lower handicap, and a 'B' player and so on). I think I was the B or C, not sure, but the guy who was the A player (he's currently a 4.5 index), a couple holes in, says to me, "Man, you have such a great swing, great tempo." A couple holes later, I hit a nice tee shot on a par 3, and as he was walking up to hit next, he said, "I could watch your swing all day." Finally, as he introduced me to another member in the bar later, he said, "you should see this guy, BEAUTIFUL swing. If you saw him on the range, you'd think he was a 2." Unfortunately, we haven't played together since, but I did email him once, said I'd like to get out together and play some time. He wrote back that he was interested, too, because 'watching my swing is good for [his] game.'

That was probably the first time a truly good player gave me such compliments, kinda gave me hope. Most compliments about a 'pretty swing' I take with a grain of salt. That time, it seemed more of an informed opinion, gave me hope that maybe I'm closer than I think.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Someone once told me that they liked my shoes. That's about it.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Someone once told me that they liked my shoes. That's about it.

Can you post a picture of those shoes?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I was playing in pro member tournament last year and the pro told me that i have outstanding hands...i had just hit a pretty tough flop so i asumme it is a good thing!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Ever been complimented on something golf-related? I.e swing, putting, etc.

been told "nice lay-up" many times

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Putting, a number of times, everything else only by bystanders who weren't good enough to realize I am pretty average.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I got complimented yesterday on my grinding ability. I loved that.

I was playing a strokeplay style match yesterday against a good rival who is usually a little better than me and I was 5 down with 4 to go...

I finished bird-par-par-bird to even up the match after he doubled 16 and bogeyed 18. Mind you, we went down the first hole again to finish the match and he took it, LOL.

I love just hanging in there and staying in matches right till the bitter end.

I've had many members tell me they hate playing matches against me.

Ive been complimented on my swing, my putting, my shortgame and my clubs.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Only golfers even worse than me would compliment my swing, but my 7 year old son has received a couple that made me just a little proud. The local par 3 course has a youth clinic every Friday in the summer which I took my son to one day. It is taught by the pro from the associated regulation course and one of the local high school golf coaches. While working on the driving range the high school coach commented how well my son was paying attention and said that he has a really good swing for his age. He said he couldn't wait to get him on the golf team. The coach was a little disappointed to find out we live in a different school district. A few weeks later we were playing on the par 3 course and were behind a couple of teenagers who let us play through. It was perfect timing as my son hit one of his best pitch shots ever that landed about 5 feet from the hole. One of the teenagers said "wow, he could play on our varsity team."

And just to be clear, my son is no golf protege, he just has a lot of fun with every sport he tries and always gives his best effort. But he will surely be a better golfer than me one day soon.

War Eagle!

At practice range a week ago, a gentleman was hitting his shots in front of me. Without paying much attention, I finished my practice session and started to pack my stuff and was about to leave. Then the gentleman said to me.. 'Thank you'. I asked why? He said 'It was pleasant to see such nice ball strikings'. On that day, I was working on initiating downswing with buckle and was able to get feel for it.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

Note: This thread is 4993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!