IGNORED

Poulter Minor Meltdown at the Deutsche Bank

c. lassiter
Note:Β This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Gotta love duffers making fun of a pros swing and calling it terrible....

I disagree that you have to be able to DO something in order to recognize whether it's being done well or not. This always comes up with golf but not with other sports. For example, you can criticize Brett Farve without being able to lead an NFL team to multiple superbowls . .so why can't somebody criticize the technique of a pro golfer?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that you have to be able to DO something in order to recognize whether it's being done well or not. This always comes up with golf but not with other sports. For example, you can criticize Brett Farve without being able to lead an NFL team to multiple superbowls . .so why can't somebody criticize the technique of a pro golfer?

But what are you actually criticizing? His decision making? His personality? His ability to accurately and consistently throw a football year after year?

I seriously doubt more than a handul of people on this board have the knowledge base to criticize a 2 handicapper's swing - let alone that of a relatively successful PGA professional. BTW - Favre and Poulter - both seem like they can be douchebags when they want to be.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I seriously doubt more than a handul of people on this board have the knowledge base to criticize a 2 handicapper's swing - let alone that of a relatively successful PGA professional.

That may be true but it's not (just) because they are hackers that they lack the knowledge base. I actually have no opinion of Poulter's swing, I just disagree with the stock objection "you're not qualified to criticize because you're a 30 handicap, etc, etc". I am a hacker but if I say "I think golfer A has a better swing than golfer B" it's not automatically wrong or invalid just because they are both way better than me.

I would rather be watching golf than posting my silly opinions on the internet, anyway . . .Why isn't the Deutsche Bank on tv right now! arrgh!

Gotta love duffers making fun of a pros swing and calling it terrible....

Absolutely right. I don't like the man that much but for hackers here to take the p**s based on their own

amazing knowledge.....
As Pro swings go, it is, simple as.

Yeah. Thus spake the acknowledged Global Expert. Duh!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9Β°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14Β°, Alta CB 65SΒ | Adams Pro Dhy 18Β°, 21Β°, 24Β°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58Β°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Poulter should just quit the game, based on the expert opinions here. But then, he wouldn't have the $2,045,114 that he has made this year so far.

Although he doesn't excel in any one category, he has been a consistent player on tour for the past 5 years, rarely missing a cut. I think that's a good indication of a golfer who knows his swing pretty well.

Poulter is one of those players who seems to have got to where he is pretty much by force of will. Personally, I tend to admire those guys, whatever their rough edges. No great fan of the loud pants, but at least a million other people seem to dig that whole schtick.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

You don't have to take my word for it, it's widely acknowledged that he's not the most naturally talented golfer out there and his swing isn't the most technically sound. Anyone with eyes can see that. No need to be a jackass about it.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Β 

You don't have to take my word for it, it's widely acknowledged that he's not the most naturally talented golfer out there and his swing isn't the most technically sound. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Care to explain and elaborate oh great golfing oracle w/ the 18 handicap? No? Thought not.

No need to be a jackass about it

Pots and kettles son. I know who looks more the jackass here.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9Β°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14Β°, Alta CB 65SΒ | Adams Pro Dhy 18Β°, 21Β°, 24Β°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58Β°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Care to explain and elaborate oh great golfing oracle w/ the 18 handicap? No? Thought not.

Sure. He's way laid off at the top of the swing. His arms are very high at the top too, right elbow a little too disconnected from his body. Also looks to me like he brings the club down slightly under plane sometimes, but that's debatable. These things add complications to the swing and make it a little harder to square the clubface at impact. He's obviously learned to cope with his swing problems, or he wouldn't be where he is in the game and it's been proven that there are plenty of ways to make a swing work. But as Pro swings go, I don't think it'd be considered a classic, or great technically. The problem here is you seem to have taken that statement to mean he must be a poor

golfer , despite no one saying anything of the kind. And stop with the 'son' stuff, kinda makes you sound like a douchebag.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Β 

Went to the Deutsche Bank yesterday with my son and, as we were heading out, passed by the 9th green just as Ian Poulter sliced his approach from the rough over the gallery right next to the snack bar.

Poulter is the only one that doesn't seem to realize his entitled and snobbish attitude is destroying his golf game. He could be so much better if he was just humble and in control of his emotions.

And to think, he said no one besides Tiger was even on his level. He's my least favorite player on tour by far. Followed by Jeff Overton and Steve Elkington

Ive always thought Poulter was a bit of a jerk. He just has this sort of smug, "Im better than you" attitude.

I agree 150%. His facial expressions, his walk, his everything seem to be condescending to everyone around him.

With his swing which has a lot of issues

Would you care to enlighten us?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

I like Ian, He is a bloke who worked in a pro shop and made the bigs. Rough around the edges, yes, but I think he is a great story and I like him.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , RossaΒ  Suzuka

• Administrator
I'm about to make a post (later tonight, after I can get the video off of my iPhone) that takes apart something Tom Watson says in his new DVDs.

Pros aren't infallible. They say and believe things that are wrong. They have flaws in their swings, and there's a difference between seeing them and DOING them.

So I will defend the rights of an 18 handicapper to pick apart someone's swing. More often than not it turns into a learning opportunity for that 18 handicapper, and sometimes they're right...

After all, what was Harvey Penick's handicap the last 20 years he graced the earth?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Funny how everyone here is criticizing his attitude and saying it's ruining his own game and the other players on tour. Yet every tour pro out there says he's extremely amusing and a very pleasant person to be around. lol. Gotta love internet forum know-it-alls. Ian Poulter is the man. Every broadcaster always says he's an entertaining guy, never heard a bad word about him until I read this thread. I love it.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AWΒ Irons,Β Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-StarΒ Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017: Β 82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Funny how everyone here is criticizing his attitude and saying it's ruining his own game and the other players on tour. Yet every tour pro out there says he's extremely amusing and a very pleasant person to be around. lol. Gotta love internet forum know-it-alls. Ian Poulter is the man. Every broadcaster always says he's an entertaining guy, never heard a bad word about him until I read this thread. I love it.

Do you honestly think a pro is going to talk trash about a fellow player in an interview? Come on now.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

• Administrator
Funny how everyone here is criticizing his attitude and saying it's ruining his own game and the other players on tour. Yet every tour pro out there says he's extremely amusing and a very pleasant person to be around.

I never said it necessarily affected his game. But the guy can be a massive jerk, and I've personally witnessed it on a few occasions.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Do you honestly think a pro is going to talk trash about a fellow player in an interview? Come on now.

Well if the top 2 players in the world can talk shit about each other... then yes. Yes I can. You can take back your sarcastic reply now.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AWΒ Irons,Β Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-StarΒ Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017: Β 82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note:Β This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!