IGNORED

Golf Digest comes out for cargo shorts!

Stretch
Note: This thread is 4977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played in a best ball today, 50 degrees, never saw the sun, I would guess 90% of the people there wore jeans, along with our long sleeve t shirts, sweatshirts, and wind breakers. Some wore stocking hats ( wish I had brought one). People need to lighten up, I don't really care what you wear, fix your divots, repair your ball marks, put your phone on vibrate, keep up or let faster people play through, do all that and I don't have a problem. If we want golf courses to be maintained it takes money and a input of new players to help support them. You can chase away younger people by being an old fogey or you can be the cool old guy they'll play with. I prefer to be the old cool guy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TourSpoon was responding to my comment (or at least made reply quoting me). When I first read it, I think I took it wrong. I had written 3 paragraphs berating his response. I self-edited and deleted my post. In retrospect I'm mostly glad that I did. The generalizations he made are accurate... AS GENERALIZATIONS!

I still disagree with the crux of his argument, by the accuracy of his general statements remain.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

Does one play basketball on hardwood Gym floors with Florsheims on?

Both your examples have obvious practical reasons that no one would be likely to want to try that. Neither of those remotely approaches an example of an arbitrary dress code rule or tradition...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Both your examples have obvious practical reasons that no one would be likely to want to try that. Neither of those remotely approaches an example of an arbitrary dress code rule or tradition...

I was going to say the same thing.... his arguments are nonsensical, as usual.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I definitely agree with allowing cargo shorts. If "dress" shorts are allowed, I would argue cargo shorts should be as well. Maybe ban all "camo" color schemes if you absolutely have to, but the majority of cargo shorts today are marketed as for the average man who wants functionality, to look clean, and be comfortable. Jeans... I never wear them so I'm not personally affected by any rules regarding them, but I will never understand how someone can claim with a straight face that the material itself is undignified enough to be banned. Alternatively, banning holes, rips, paint, cut-offs, short shorts, etc, would make sense. Not that I understand why anyone would even want to wear jeans anyway, I'd probably prefer a pair of loose, light-weight slacks over jeans.

I can see how banning the use of cell phones would make sense. Someone can hold up play or be distracting to players around them by using one. So long as the user of a cell phone doesn't distract me or hold up play, I wouldn't care. If they do, the phone should go.

I had no idea that some courses restricted women's tee times. I guess I can kind of see why it may have made sense in the past, but I would've guessed it died out decades ago. Huh.

I still find it an intriguing case of psychology why "formal" attire includes some truly hideous apparel (yes, golf apparel tapered down in modern days, but some is still acceptable) but yet looks down on other types of apparel simply because of the class it is associated with. It mostly goes to show that formalities are arbitrary human constructions, the only ones that are widely accepted or enforced are the ones that enough people with influence coincidentally agree on. "Looks" are not assessed by looks alone, but by other concepts associated with the "looks".

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I think what it all boils down to is, "is this person (or am I) mature and respectful enough to dress accordingly to how others on this course dress like?"

you put a brother with pants around his ass and a durag onto a semi-privately owned course and tempers are gonna fly. But what if he shoots a 68/72? Are tempers still gonna fly? Even if he talks straight thug?

Anybody here seen the movie, "Who's Your Caddy?" with Big Boi from Outkast? Kinda reminds me of what we're discussing right now almost.

In The Bag:
Bag -
Driver [9.5*] -
Fairway Woods [3,5] -
Irons [4-9, PW, SW] - Wedges [52*, 60*] - Putter -

Also cell phones, jeans,

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Obviously the backwards hat fails here... But there are times that the sun is beating down on your neck and is not in your eyes, it that case a backwards hat works...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Golf is not the only sport.

I grew up surfing. Yes king of cargo or baggy shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. We would make fun of the inland "kooks" for wearing cut off jeans to the beach. Or for their boogie boards or the way they carried their surfboards. When I went to Hawaii and surfed, I was now the mainland kook or hali'i.

Also skateboarded. Much the same thing.

Golfers I guess are pegged as elitist, because we have a standard dress that fits the sport well and happens to be something other than jeans and a tee shirt. My golf clothes are as much to me about function as it is about some style. I can't stand swinging a club with a backwards cap on. The bill hits the back of my neck. I can't stand playing in jeans because they are hot and unforgiving. I wore a wetsuit when I surfed and I wear certain golf related cloths when I golf. They both improved my respected games.

A lot of the same people that call golfers elitist, would laugh our arses off their turf if we showed up in our golf attire to play one of their sports.

Just saying........

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

BTW I have no problem with cargo shorts and happen to be wearing a pair as I type this. About half of my cargo shorts I would say are fine for the golf course (and have worn them on occasion) the other half I would say are not appropriate.

In year past I would always wear a collard shirt even to the range. (golf course range) I have now backed down on that and now wear a t-shirt most of the time. Sometimes even gym shorts to go with the t-shirt if I run down in the morning or dusk.

FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

IMO those are perfectly fine. To me, it's these that cross the line:

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product...ctId=4131_4516 I think any dress code in golf should be about looking respectable. The ones you posted are.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

In Wisconsin in the spring and fall it can get cold and jeans are nice and warm. In the warm summer days I wear shorts. What's the problem?

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

Look good to me. Pretty close to typical golf shorts IMO.

Statements like this make you seem like a complete ASS, because there are plenty of young ppl who act and behave in no such manor.

In case you miss the actual irony of the statement, allow me to explain...This attitude has been prevalent since the beginning of time...The quotes are centuries old and reflect what older people have been saying about younger people since history has been recorded which furthers the point that society is not going down the tubes due to young people.

Who is the ass now?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Without his second paragraph, and the post he was replying to, it appears you've take this excerpt out of context, but I could be mistaken.

Sean, you actually get it...thanks...the poster gave me negative rep on a quote made over 2000 years ago complaining about youth.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Since he was quoting others (such as Socrates), I believe that TourSpoon was emphasizing the point that throughout the ages, everyone has complained about the young, not just today's. Don't be so defensive of your generation. There are many fine kids today, but you also know of a lot of jerks, I'm sure.

Bingo...I will give Harmonious some positive rep for getting it too! Now I guess I'm the one who is getting defensive. It's all good as I was sticking up for the youth because if they were saying it 2000 years ago and still today, I guess it hasn't come true.

Anyway, you guys know that I can be a bit of a satirist and I sometimes make obscure comments. I will try to better explain myself in the future in order not to offend. It is not my intention to do so.

I guess traditions change but I grew up seeing guys dress "neat" if nothing else on the golf course. I did see some ugly plaid stuff now that I think about it but very few looked "sloppy". For me, that's what the common cargo shorts, untucked shirt guys look like. But we live in a society today that says "I can do whatever I **** well please". There's no respect for others or for tradition. The reasons I'm hearing for dressing sloppily are comfort and affordability. And frankly, they are excuses. I have quite comfortable clothing and I rarely buy anything that isn't on sale. And I technically do have cargo shorts. They have recessed side pockets (Izod) so you don't really know they are cargo shorts. But golf is also a game of rules and if the local rule is to dress appropriately then I think people just need to suck it up and follow the rules. If you don't like it, play somewhere else. There's plenty of courses out there. This issue will never have a resolve so instead of beating a dead horse we should just play golf and enjoy our sport.

Note: This thread is 4977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!