IGNORED

Driver shaft - true story

Shorty
Note: This thread is 4946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A mate of mine is a seriously long hitter. And accurate.
He has been using an Ft Tour driver with a Voodoo X-Stiff shaft.
A fortnight ago he hit a wire rope with the grip after a poor drive and the thing snapped halfway down the grip.

Anyway... he bought a Project X 7A3 Tour issue shaft and had it installed and the difference is quite staggering. He has been raving about it and I couldn't wait to see the results.
Yesterday he hit 10 or 11 drives in the 270 to 280 metre range (that's well over 300 yards) and on the first with a bit of a tail wind, but a flat hole, he knocked it 300 metres. Metres. Not yards. This was verified by myself with laser, GPS and Google Earth.
He does not make a big deal about his length, but he is talking about the totally different feel and stability of the driver with the "real", heavier and more expensive shaft.
Seems that this talk about OEM shafts being crap might be true.
I know that people have always said that the shaft is the engine etc. etc., but this was really something to see. I would say that he is 10-15 metres longer.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Its not that they're crap
they're just meant for the general population that would buy it and 95% of the time its not a true fit to the person.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

He does not make a big deal about his length, but he is talking about the totally different feel and stability of the driver with the "real", heavier and more expensive shaft.

He's right. The off the rack "X" flex shafts are not X at all, they're at best, an S. I have an off the rack X flex in my fairway wood, and it's too soft. The OEM shafts are made the way they are because ego gets in the way. Those of us who need a more stout shaft, whether for purposes of swing speed, tempo, or both, end up paying the price.

I was on a holiday overseas's and I was on the range, hitting some golf balls and the club pro over there came and asked me if I wanted to play in his group with 2 other pro's, he said they were playing the club champs.
So I said sure why not, I has nothing on for that day.

First few holes all were normal and then on the 5th one of the pro took a swing and on his down swing the shaft snaped. He was stunned. He had the stock shaft in his driver. In this country money most people are quite poor so he was just a club pro with the stock gear from the shops. He used my driver for the rest of the round (he could not win the club champs since he was a pro, so it;s not aginst the rules) He was stunned with how difference when hitting my driver. The distence was so much better and the shaft was so much stiffer and did not hooked any more drive. It was just amazing to see the difference.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

According to Wishon YOU are the engine and the shaft is the "transmission". But really who cares, I know what you mean.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

could it be the fact that this particular shaft suited his swing better?
i know quite a few people that use "made for" shafts that can blow the doors of alot of golfers
yes made for shafts fit more of the general population, but they can also fit the low index to + indexer too

not doubting the quality of the PJX shaft, have also heard great things about them

to pick up yardage and accuracy like that, this is the shaft for him - regardless of price (ive used Tour issue gear too....meh.....i still miss 2 footers w "tour issued" irons.....just sayin
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

ive used Tour issue gear too....meh.....i still miss 2 footers w "tour issued" irons.....just sayin

Maybe try those with a putter then?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

to pick up yardage and accuracy like that, this is the shaft for him - regardless of price

Yes, that's absolutely right. If I were him I'd be buying 5 more and putting them in a bank vault

The funny thing about it is that it took a broken shaft to make him (and me I suppose) really appreciate the importance of the right shaft. The other thing he says relates to torque. On drives where he feels he may have pushed it a fair bit, he looks up and it's a very slight push, unlike the Voodoo. Obviously, not everyone will have the same results, but a guy who really smokes it is smoking it even more. It's a pretty awesome sight.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A mate of mine is a seriously long hitter. And accurate.

A custom Fit shaft such as Project X has a higher consistency than a stock shaft. Stock shaft is made fo average golfers with slow swing speed. Even if it's stamped Aldila Voodoo by Callaway or Taylormade, it does not mean than it has the quality of the custom Aldila Voodoo.

Also Stock shaft from golf club manufactures has a lower quality since they are made in a large quantity. Callaway's Aldila Voodoo is not as good as the Custom Aldila Voodoo. So I think from this experience, your friend will know the real benefit of a Custom shaft.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Obviously, not everyone will have the same results, but a guy who really smokes it is smoking it even more. It's a pretty awesome sight.

I'm really quite proud of myself for not posting something infantile about you and your mate having fun out there smoking his extra-stiff pole.

Ah dang.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm really quite proud of myself for not posting something infantile about you and your mate having fun out there smoking his extra-stiff pole.

I am too.... !! hahha!

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

lol

So let me ask y'all this; Does this mean that everyone benefits from more expensive(custom Aldila, Project X) shafts? I have stock shafts on my Driver and wood, and when I tried one of my acquaintance's driver with some kind of exotic shaft, i don't know, but it felt VERY... different. Of course you'd have to select the shafts according to your swing type, but when you consider the overall quality or consistency of the shaft, are the expensive ones better? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks, Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

He's right. The off the rack "X" flex shafts are not X at all, they're at best, an S.

Not exactly. There are no guidelines for shaft flex. At all. An OTR X flex could be a XX or a R, there are no standards.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think that my launch monitor story from the golf shop illustrates the point that if you have an above average swing, then you may need an above average shaft. When I tried the new Cally Tour Diablo offering with the stock stiff I was only getting into the 250 range for the total. When I took out my NV65S and hit my older model head, 250 was my carry. The guy told me that he didn't really have anything that could beat my numbers with my current set-up and that the NV was one of his favorite shafts.

IMO, the heads out there are maxed out and the real improvements come from the shafts. The average off-the-rack club is marketed to the masses. So if you are a semi-accomplished golfer with a swing speed above 95 mph, you better do your homework. There are good stock shafts out there, but you can't go by the marketing hype.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I've been fiddling around with a ton of aftermarket shafts, and they're definitely better then OEM shafts. I find the main difference is they're lower spin, and usually a lot less torque. Bad swings don't produce quite as bad results. Impressive that he found 20yds changing out what should be a decent shaft. Project X is supposed to be one of the absolute lowest spin shafts around, so the guy may have really been spinning the ball and it was a "perfect storm" type thing where the shaft is optimal. I need to stop all the trial and error and get up to a good clubfitter...finally found one somewhat local to me.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

where would you go to get your driver/woods/hybrids fitted for shafts? is there a place you can look up locals in your area or do you just call around to different munis? thanks

Most golf superstores do it. A lot of fancier courses do it in their pro shops. Also a lot of smaller, family owned style stores specialize in fitting. A Google maps search should give you a good idea. Look for Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith, Golf Town, Roger Dunn Golf Shops or places like that or try searching golf club fitting.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!