IGNORED

Whats the key to a longer shots?

Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That the best way to do it. Ripping it before gripping it is no way to hit the long ball.

that's an important distinction. I too have tried ripping before gripping, let's just say it did not work out well.

lag = club head speed = distance

What about

technique => lag = club head speed = distance Then you still can go pump up your muscles later. Besides, look at the long hitters on the tour. Bubba and Dustin do not look like the guys form the gym - look at their swing videos and compare them to yours. Technique with consistency is the magic key to happy distance. Ommmm....

Its not about building muscle as is building stability.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with hitting near the center of the clubface, if you don't your loosing so much energy..

Some study says that the sweetspot is not on the center of the clubface anymore. For irons, it's near the hosel. For driver, it's slightly above the center. What do you guys think?

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

It's all about when you whip your (wrist) cock out.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I love this thread Im pretty sure if you read all the advice in here and went and tried to apply it all at the same time your head would just explode on the downswing.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Yep pretty much..

Lets look at the science on this.. Velocity of the golf ball = Velocity of the clubhead x (1+e) divided by (1 + mass of golf ball divided by mass of club head)

e is what the PGA has limited over the years, also known as limiting COR, the max legal value is 0.83, thats why drivers are tested so they don't go over that value.

This also leads to the smahs factor, which translates clubhead to golf ball speed, and the max limit is 1.5, pro's get near 1.47-1.48 usually, thats based on solid contact, because clubheads weight similar, and golf balls weight similar, so the bottom is a constant, and the only thing that matters is the interaction between the golf ball and the clubhead, e. So really the only way we can increase our distance is

1) better contact
2) increase clubhead speed

Club head speed is based on a very complicated calculation of angular motion. The clubhead does not move in a perfect circle, it has two radius's an outer and inner, backswing and downswing. Its hard to quantify... But one thing is for sure we can all agree on, better contact = longer distance.

So go out there and practice for hitting the center of the clubface consistantly, that means hit alot of shots with impact tape or spray. Or you can put a piece of masking tape and see the dimple indents, nice cheap trick on that. Do that for every drive and tune in that swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Here's a guy (allegedly) hitting it over 400 yards with an (alleged) ball speed measured at 207 mph for this shot, which would translate to a swing speed above 140 mph. You wouldn't necessarily want to do what he's doing for consistency, but it's pretty clear where the power comes from!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

This is probably a subtle thing that creeps into your game particulary if you carry a higher handicap,but do you really know that your swing is the same for all clubs.It's amazing to me that I can hit PW with a very quiet swing 120 yds but then as we get more club right around 4 iron I can sense the difference in my effort.This is a flaw that creeps into my game,but now I have a clear visual image of Luke Donald swinging,I play his swing on youtube and just think of his balance posture and metronomic tempo,he really looks the same with every club.

It's massively improved my distance already with the irons.So relaxation,tempo,looseness,not trying to hit harder and trusting your mechanics,I would think these would lead to more distance.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Here's a guy (allegedly) hitting it over 400 yards with an (alleged) ball speed measured at 207 mph for this shot, which would translate to a swing speed above 140 mph. You wouldn't necessarily want to do what he's doing for consistency, but it's pretty clear where the power comes from!

sheeesh, for the amount of bulk this guy has on his upper body, the amount of shoulder turn he generates is ridiculoussss.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

sheeesh, for the amount of bulk this guy has on his upper body, the amount of shoulder turn he generates is ridiculoussss.

The only thing "alleged" about that swing is that the ball

only goes 400 yards!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

DId you see the whip action on that club??

Just is begging for someone to yell "POWWWW!!!"
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Practice.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

i like to get aggressive with my lower body. i can really unwind my shoulders if i start my downswing with a good move to my front side. hitting the sweet spot is crucial to maxxing out distance as well.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

LAG. Don't consciously think about your wrists on the downswing. Look at all the swing photos of the longest hitters over the years and you'll see lag.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

What is the important key for golf swing to a longer shots? It's awesome if you can just drive the ball 270 yards of carry.

Swing about 110 mph, hit the center of the club face, and you'll hit it that far.

Right foot lift at impact? (this will cause a slice for me)

No, it won't, virtually every good golfer on the planet has their right foot lifted at impact, and the others are left handed. If doing that stuff is causing a slice, then you've got a slice anyway, and you've got a compensation somewhere. Whenever something small "causes a slice" you're just removing a compensation. Pretty much the only thing that causes a slice for me is when I come outside in, the same as nearly every other person on this earth, and the only cure is to swing inside out.

But distance is a silly pursuit. Distance means little to anyone who plays the game well. A good swing will nearly automatically hit the ball farther, so work instead of a fundamentally sound swing.

No, it won't, virtually every good golfer on the planet has their right foot lifted at impact, and the others are left handed.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!