IGNORED

Question about Hole In One Etiquette

Colinb913
Note: This thread is 4952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

^ thats is amazing. would put me off my game tho..
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Lots of good advice here - forget about it. Would have shown class for him to buy you a drink but he obviously didn't have any. We have a saying "There are too many a**holes in the world to worry about that one in particular."

If you are that much good luck come golf with me. If I get an ace I'll buy you a whole case of soda!

I made a hole-in-one in college. Kid on the tee box ahead watched it go in. He ran back to the green to meet me and pulled the ball out before I got there. I was annoyed by that.....and no, I didn't buy him a drink

OHHHHH MAAAAAANNNNN, that sucks!

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

During my league about 3 years ago, my partner and I had putted out and we were waiting for our opponents to do the same. We happened to glance over to the next hole, a short par 3, just in time to see a woman ace the hole with....wait for it.....yup, her driver. The lady turns around and none of her 3 playing partners were looking. They were all doing something else- looking the other way, putting something away in their bags, etc...not paying attention at all. She looks over at us, and we said "yup that went in and we saw it..."

She was really excited. Turns out it was her first time playing golf. She found us in the bar after we finished and bought us both a beer.

This guy described by the OP is a prick. Not because he didn't buy a drink but because of the "grown up time" comment, that is uncalled for.

This guy described by the OP is a . . .

Maybe his comment was for his friend's benefit. Who exchanges phones numbers with a 17 year old boy? That's kinda weird.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maybe his comment was for his friend's benefit. Who exchanges phones numbers with a 17 year old boy? That's kinda weird.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Lol sean miller bringing the funny. Good point though, if I was the OP I would avoid those guys from now. Ones a creep ones a jerk
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Lol sean miller bringing the funny. Good point though, if I was the OP I would avoid those guys from now. Ones a creep ones a jerk

Oh good grief!! If I met a 17 year old young gentleman whom I had enjoyed a round with I'd be more than happy to exchange phone numbers for the purpose of playing golf. Whatever happened to the idea of a responsible adult mentor for a youth?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh good grief!! If I met a 17 year old young gentleman whom I had enjoyed a round with I'd be more than happy to exchange phone numbers for the purpose of playing golf. Whatever happened to the idea of a responsible adult mentor for a youth?

Not me, nope. I'd ask him to give my # to his parents and if he'd like to catch a round, ask them to call me and give their OK. Kids and adult strangers can mix, but the kids' parents should be informed/involved - that's my comfort level as both an adult and a father.

To the OP, I would say you were treated to a valuable life lesson - If you treat people with respect, you are more likely to be respected. Most people who behave like jerks have very few, if any, true friends and they never seem to figure out why. Even though you felt badly about the way you were treated, which is totally understandable and justified, if the experience serves as a reminder to treat younger people with respect when you get to be his age, it will have been well worth it. Best to you!

Not me, nope. I'd ask him to give my # to his parents and if he'd like to catch a round, ask them to call me and give their OK. Kids and adult strangers can mix, but the kids' parents should be informed/involved - that's my comfort level as both an adult and a father.

If the kid is 17 it is a little different though...

You guys in CA seem a bit paranoid. I'd agree if the kid were 16 or under, but 17 really isn't a kid anymore.

It's not so much paranoia as it is respect for his parents.

It's not so much paranoia as it is respect for his parents.

It wouldn't be an issue where I grew up (South La) or where I am now (Nashville), but I did live in the bay area for a while. I got REAMED by an Asian man for speaking to his 20 or so year old daughter at the San Jose muni course one afternoon. I mean reamed. All I did was say hello so I wouldn't startle her when I walked behind her. Didn't make that mistake again

What a dick! At 20 years old, she's fair game - I mean he can ask nicely for you not to bother her, but to get hostile is inappropriate.

On to the hole in one question, I think we had a poll, or at least a thread, which asked what you would do vis-a-vis drinks if you aced a hole. IIRC, there were a lot of different responses ranging from "slink off the course" to "buy everyone in the clubhouse a round" with most, eh here is where I don't recall exactly, saying they'd buy for their group but not for a bunch of strangers including alky non-golfers playing liars dice and stinking up the joint.

I have to think, in a club (like my associate club), I'd buy it for everyone in the club who was at the tournament. Not a big deal as our club kicks down $300 for an ace. If I were playing at a muni, I'd buy for the people in my group only (unless there were, say, 10 or fewer people in the bar...).

Note: This thread is 4952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!