IGNORED

"The Comics" Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok now I'm not the most experienced golfer, but does this seem completely ridiculous to anyone else? The 3rd paragraph is what really made me laugh. Now I may be dead wrong, but that paragraph goes against almost all the advice I've ever gotten, including from teaching pros. I couldn't post a picture because it was too big to fit on a screen shot, but this was a newsletter I received in an email from "The Simple Golf Swing".

Th e cure for a fat shot

This problem may be easier to fix than you think. You may not realize it, but your back shoulder may be dipping towards the ground. This move forces the club to hit the ground too early. Most of the time it happens when you are really trying to get into the ball. Imagine...You're 200 yards out and you've chosen to hit the 4 iron. When you've got it in your head that you have to hit the ball hard to get it there, it's the natural tendency to start your downswing with the hips in an effort to "really get into the ball". That may work in baseball, but not in golf.

I'd like to take you through what happens if you make that move in golf. First, get into your setup position, now take your backswing and hold it at the top. Now move only your hips horizontally towards the target, and notice the way it forces your back shoulder to "dip". If you've made that "dip" with your back shoulder, it's over. You are going to hit behind the ball 90% of the time, and if you do make good contact, you'll probably end up with a killer slice. Lateral movement is no good for the golf swing.

To avoid this problem, and to simplify your golf swing, keep the lower body out of the equation. If you really want to get into the ball, start your downswing with your arms. It's tough to do if you have a habit formed, but once you get used to it, you won't be hitting the ball fat anymore. Most golfers over-emphasize the weight shift. If you keep your hips still, the weight shift will still occur, but it will happen naturally.

Get to the top, keeping your leading arm as straight as possible. Now start down at the ball with your leading arm fully extended. Your head hasn't moved laterally, and your hips haven't moved laterally. Now imagine the entire golf swing, through impact, occurring underneath the upper body.

Concentrate on keeping your front shoulder "down" on the ball. This will enable you to keep your swing on the correct plane, and it will help your hands to keep up with your body. Don't let that shoulder come up and away from the target before impact as that will cause your body to get ahead of your hands leading to fat shots and slices.

Originally Posted by Jonnyy8699

Ok now I'm not the most experienced golfer, but does this seem completely ridiculous to anyone else? The 3rd paragraph is what really made me laugh. Now I may be dead wrong, but that paragraph goes against almost all the advice I've ever gotten, including from teaching pros. I couldn't post a picture because it was too big to fit on a screen shot, but this was a newsletter I received in an email from "The Simple Golf Swing".

The cure for a fat shot

To avoid this problem, and to simplify your golf swing, keep the lower body out of the equation. If you really want to get into the ball, start your downswing with your arms. It's tough to do if you have a habit formed, but once you get used to it, you won't be hitting the ball fat anymore. Most golfers over-emphasize the weight shift. If you keep your hips still, the weight shift will still occur, but it will happen naturally.

Yes Johnny you are correct, that is not only bad but absolutely makes zero sense.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Solid?

solid.jpg Solid?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Solid?

Solid?

Well, clearly, I have been overcomplicating things. TURN, NOW YER SOLID!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/free-lesson-fridays/free-lesson-fridays-help-slice-video

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

We're going to need more d'ohs. Jesus wept.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by dak4n6

Holy gorgonzola that is a fugly swing. Wait...could that have been....PATRICK?!

Nah, it was missing the groovy accompanying music.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 month later...
[img]https://p.twimg.com/AxBKZzICEAEC0WH.jpg[/img]

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Whaaaat the fuuuuuuuck?

http://www.pga.com/yahoo/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/off-tee/how-draw-fade-video

Clearly we have gone through the mirror into opposite world ...

Stretch.

Whaaaat the fuuuuuuuck? :hmm: [URL=http://www.pga.com/yahoo/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/off-tee/how-draw-fade-video]http://www.pga.com/yahoo/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/off-tee/how-draw-fade-video[/URL] Clearly we have gone through the mirror into opposite world ...

"Tilt the right side of your body lower than the left. You'll notice as I do this, the right side of my body becomes lower than my left. Don't tilt too much though, or you'll end up falling back into that wormhole to a universe where physics are backwards."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by mvmac

This one's on the Hall of Fame

Holy Moses, that was a rough looking swing. My favorite part was they didn't show the ball flight. Second being the way over-exaggerated aiming to the right and bringing it back left.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

(Edit: Extra dick points for disabling embedding. **** you very much.)

Stretch.

Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!