IGNORED

Im thinking of getting a backupset of irons

Note:Β This thread is 4902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Burners or x-20s

• burners
    • X-20s

What does "backup", mean? Like a second set to keep in a second location so you can have a set at different locations? Or are you talking about a complement set, ie, a set that you use for special conditions? The goal of the clubs will likely dictate what clubs are best. In the former case, wouldn't you want the set you already have?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

What would you pick of these two?

If you're talking about the X20 Tours, I'd go that route.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you're talking about the X20 Tours, I'd go that route.

Certainly an odd idea, a "backup" set, but it is pretty obvious to me that they should be exactly the same as your other set in every single resppect

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Certainly an odd idea, a "backup" set, but it is pretty obvious to me that they should be exactly the same as your other set in every single resppect

There should be a Sand Trap glossary so that people can ask legitimate questions without other people questioning their motives.

The guys wants another set of irons, probably to a.) to travel with (hence the durability concern), b.) to leave somewhere he visits occasionally (hence the forgiveness), c.) to play courses that are a bit sketchy and he doesn't want to damage his good irons, or even d.) to loan to a friend or co-worker because that's the only way he can get the lazy oafs out on the course. Who cares what his motivation is, or the fact he should have said "a spare set" or "alternate set" or "extra set because I just want one"? Focus on his question. A question that we can't possibly answer because we're not him. I could have told him that the X20s are slightly less ugly than the Burners, but since I've seen people hit some great shots with both, both are good options.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Hmm, seems to me you would want a set that is significantly different in some respect, otherwise what's the point in buying another set? For example, if his current set is a low-launching iron, pick up a set that puts the ball up in the air. Or maybe pick up a set of blades since you already have cavity-backs for when you are striking the ball really well. Anyway, some set of irons which you would actually have an occasion to use.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmm, seems to me you would want a set that is significantly different in some respect, otherwise what's the point in buying another set? For example, if his current set is a low-launching iron, pick up a set that puts the ball up in the air. Or maybe pick up a set of blades since you already have cavity-backs for when you are striking the ball really well. Anyway, some set of irons which you would actually have an occasion to use.

That makes sense. Imagine someone buying two cars. One for pleasure and one for every day commuting. Now imagine that guy buying two base model Honda Accords because they're just so darned reliable. Booooring.

Well the reason I want a backup, forgiving, durable set is because I am a United States Marine, and I often find myself out at sea on floats away from home. I'm sure that it may be hard for some of you to imagine, but life at sea is rough (especially on amphib ships), and a lot of the places I'll be visting and playing golf at are sometimes sketchy and rough locations. If I brought my $900, custom fit, Mizuno MP-53's out to sea with me, well lets just say that it would certainly not be beneficial to the clubs, or my investment. I'd like to have a set for at home that I can keep nice (the MP-53s), and a set that I can travel the world with that can get banged up a bit, without me worrying if they get lost, busted or stolen.

I hope that answers all the other questions so that we can now get back to my original question.

Well the reason I want a backup, forgiving, durable set is because I am a United States Marine, and I often find myself out at sea on floats away from home. I'm sure that it may be hard for some of you to imagine, but life at sea is rough (especially on amphib ships), and a lot of the places I'll be visting and playing golf at are sometimes sketchy and rough locations. If I brought my $900, custom fit, Mizuno MP-53's out to sea with me, well lets just say that it would certainly not be beneficial to the clubs, or my investment. I'd like to have a set for at home that I can keep nice (the MP-53s), and a set that I can travel the world with that can get banged up a bit, without me worrying if they get lost, busted or stolen.

Additional thoughts:

1.) Don't dismiss older irons like PING G2/G5, Tommy Armour 845, Titleist DCI Gold, or even Lynx Parallax. Mucho playable and durable. 2.) What are you doing for woods? The Callaway BB Warbird series is built like a tank and with the warbird soleplate you can hit the driver from the FW (imagine a 260 yard powerfade). 3.) what are you doing about wedges and a putter? Random thoughts but hey, you asked.

Additional thoughts:

No, right on, I understand. For woods, wedges and a putter Im covered. Ive got gear from way back when that I dont mind busting up. I just dont have any other iron sets, just the 53s. I'm trying to hunt around for some used clubs that would be nice, but I saw that Golf Galaxy had Tour Burners and X20s on the cheap at the moment (Especially when you figure in all my gift cards and reward points I have for GG).

My old set of clubs is my backup set, you never know what might happen, might lose a club, get stolen, get rearended on the way to the course and my clubs get destroyed(as they're in the trunk of my car) Although i would still buy a new set, id have something to use while i was replacing them. And maybe i would let a friend use them if they wanted, im letting a friend use the pw now as his current set didnt have one, the old set has any one of 3 drivers that i want to use, a 5 wood, 3 hybrid, 5-9 iron and a putter and a bag.

Driver-Taylormade Burner TiΒ 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3Β wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golfΒ 20Β deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

I didn't vote because personally, my backup set would mirror exactly what I play. For example, I play mp57's with s300 shafts and a standard L/L/L. I'm dialed in with these clubs and having a "backup" set would not benefit unless they mirrored the set I play. Now, with this mirrored set, I could replace a club in my current "game" set if I lose a club or use the mirrored backup set to practice with at the range which, will lenghten the life of my game set.

The only time where a backup set would be different from my game set is if I decided to upgrade my game set with say, the new Mizuno MP-63s for example and if after a couple of months I wasn't feeling comfortable with them, my old mp 57s (that I kept) would act as a "backup" set of clubs that I know worked for me. Really though, that is a therotical comment and in reality, upgrading to the Mp 63s wouldn't really be that big of a change to my game.

That all said, I can understand having a selection of backup putters. While too much variation could cause more harm than good, a couple of differnet putters i.e. playing a blade and having a mallet as a back-up or second option makes total sense to me.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5degΒ GD Tour AD DI7xΒ | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLKΒ Hybrid: 20deg,Β Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 ShaftΒ | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg |Β Scotty Cameron California Del MarΒ | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I would love to take my game a little less seriously and have some back ups to play with and not think I am compromising my play or mind goofing off a round. I think I would buy a esteemed old school set like the Hogan Apexs or Ping Eye 2 BeCu's. I guess get whatever floats your boat.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am getting backup irons too....

The reason? I live in NE Ohio. In the winter, it gets cold. I hit the range regularly during the winter, as that's when I tweak my swing. I'm hitting in cold, sh*t conditions - off mats. I'm not going to take forged irons and destroy them. So, I'm getting some cast irons or some beat up, old, hard to hit forged irons to beat the hell out of all winter. Yeah, call me a snob for having a backup set, though.

Current GearΒ Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW:Β Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12Β - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I am getting backup irons too....

snob!

But really, does buying an extra set of clubs ranging from $200-$400 really make one a snob? Sorry but Im just not bringing my Mizunos to the South Pacific/Atlantic/Persian Golf anytime soon

Note:Β This thread is 4902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!