IGNORED

Changing Clubs When Chipping?

Note: This thread is 4876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Baracuda is a 12 handicap...

Right now he is listed as a 12. Don't think that was always the case. Plus, read his retort.

As far as I know, you've always been listed as a +. Either way, when he said most professionals chip with a variety of clubs, he was not wrong. Unless of course the networks and golf magazines only cover those.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use one club for every chip/pitch. Name a chip/pitch, and I hit it with a LW.

Jamo,

I've followed your posts for quite awhile. You have an excellent understanding of the game, especially for someone still in high school. And, you have a 1.5 HDCP, which I suspect ties into you being able to work the LW so much. My missed approaches likely end up in much more exciting places than yours, hence I need more variety in my finish up shots. I had trouble in past with 60* wedges, but picked up a used 58* at the end of the summer - the 58* seems much more reliable. Know why you like the LW - on certain shots, it is the club.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jamo,

Why thank you. I understand that a lot of people need multiple wedges to chip, and I have been taught throughout my life that that is the better way too. It's just always been easier for me to pick one club and figure out how to do everything with it. The reason I prefer the 60* is that it has enough loft that I can hit flop shots, yet (mine at least has) 10* of bounce so that I can hit nice, high sand shots. If someone is good at chipping with multiple clubs I would never tell them to do it with one club, and I don't even necessarily think the one club route is the "right" way, it's just what I've always found easier for me.

P.S. I'm in college now.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Until Mickelson came on the scene, nobody chipped with a lofted club unless it was needed for the particular situation. For a typical amateur to try it because Phil can do it is just nuts. Phil has always had insane ball striking with his lofted wedges, something that 99% of all amateurs can't subscribe to. For the typical amateur, chipping exclusively with a 60°, or even with a 56° just doesn't make good sense. If you want to have a go to club, most would be much better served by using a 51-52 degree GW, or a PW, with occasional use of a higher lofted club when the carry is necessary.

I'm not preaching exclusive use of a PW, just saying that it is an easier club to control as a generic chipping club for most amateur golfers. If your skill level really allows you to play a LW, then by all means be my guest. I think that you are still missing out on some opportunities by doing so, but it's your choice. I'm mostly talking about the typical weekend golfer, 10 handicap and up, who is trying to copy Mickelson's moves, without Mickelson's talent. These players would usually be better served by playing a traditional chip and roll than trying (and as often as not failing at) the hop and stop chip that seems to have become the cool thing to do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use pretty much only my 54˚ wedge for any shot under 110 (how far that goes on a full swing), unless I need to punch under trees or the wind is howling. I fully understand the arguments for using different clubs, but I don't have the time to perfect short range shots with multiple clubs, and I know pretty well how far 1/4 and 1/2 swings with that club will go and I know how far chips and pitches with that club will go, and generally how they'll react on the green. If I had more time and better practice facilities I'd perfect different shots with different clubs, but as a mid HC, I just accept some of the drawbacks of only hitting short shots with one club for the advantage of knowing exactly how I SHOULD hit the ball to have it do what I want.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

This thread has gotten too many posts over a simple question. The answer is there is no answer. Both ways work. No one hits the same shot all the time around the green that has a good short game. There are two ways to change the shot, either change the club or change the way you hit the club. I find the second method easier to judge for me as I've practiced so much around the green with the 58, I know I can predict where it lands and most times how much it is going to roll out depending on how I choose to hit the shot. Others have the opposite approach that works for them. I've tried that approach for years and I had a hard time with the chip or pitch rolling out too much or sticking the club in the ground before the ball.

The short game is not a one size fits all. Its about confidence and repeatability. Mine is my strongest part of my game and worked on it hard for a long time. Figure out what works and practice the hell out of it. Get better, learn how to hit the different shots around the green. Sometimes the high shot isn't a good option or the low shot isn't an option at all. Create the picture in your mind and the practice swing that creates it, and be confident in what you do. Sometimes what you think will work doesn't, sometimes it does. The more shots you hit around the greens the easier it is to predict it.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdiesel View Post
Doesnt everyone want to learn and improve? In my opinion you learn from everyone and what they believe to be the right way and wrong way because there is no right or wrong. I am only stating an easier more simple way to play around the greens....its simply more logical to get the ball on the green rolling as quick as possible in certain situations.

It seems like you are still missing the point though you acknowledge the point in your most recent post. The point being there is no right or wrong, yet the tone of your posts suggest you believe multiple clubs is the "right" way and therefore anything else, i.e. single club is the "wrong" way. I refer to your comment about "NEVER" use a single club to highlight your attitude throughout your posts that I believe people have been taking exception to. We all are looking to simplify our golf games to some extent and to some, that simplicity is found in working on being the master of one (i.e. single club) around the greens rather than master of none by virtue of having 14 clubs to choose from with all the variables associated with ball position and length of swing. I'm no mathematician, but that's a whole lot of combinations that you will need to practice with in order to "master". To me and to others, we don't see simplicity in that picture, we see complexity. As for your last statement regarding getting a ball on the green rolling as quickly as possible, I believe others have answered that by saying we can adjust ball position among other adjustments to accomplish that with the single club.

I understand and I agree, the word Never should not have been used, that was a mistake on my part. In my opinion using multiple irons around the greens not only increases your skill level but also your imagination. Countless guys on tour hit the same pitch or chip shot with different clubs. They also practice hitting full shots with a variety of clubs to the same distance. My way isnt right or wrong it is just an opinion that I have learned over the years from some guys that are pretty good.

I use my 58 deg now for all chipping. Not sure which poster said they use one club and get good with it, That is my goal with the 58/10 could not handle the 60 deg I had so I went down and it has worked for the most part.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 4876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!