IGNORED

64* wedge

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My shameful secret is that I still keep a 64 ... in my garage ... a Bobby Jones/Ortiz Wedge. I haven't taken it out in 3 years. At least the good thing about a 64 is that there is no need to open it up. Just square it up and hit it.

But now you've got me thinking ... and I don't like that. I might have to put the 64 into the bag for a range session...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Gordon McTavish

With all the less than positive opinions on high lofted wedges around here, does nobody find themselves needing to flop the ball over a bunker to a tight pin very often?

I don't know if your hc is really only 27.5, but at 27.5 forget a flop shot ...... there are so many options and only the guy with a near to scratch cap can hit this with confidence, after having hit thousands in practice and even then it is a 5 out of 10 shot at best.

Keeping the doubles and tripples from your card is what you have to focus on, if you are in this position, sometimes it is even better to take the bunker or hazard out of play , going arround it, take a stroke extra instead of 3 extra.

Better might be a high pitch landing behind the hole and be putting back.

Lower handicaps tend not to become in those difficult positions, they will either be at the green or in the bunker beside the green but not at the spot you just decribed.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I think this debate really centers around your game vs. the golf course.  In my case, I miss greens but usually just by a little.  At my home course, this means playing a pitch to the proper section of the green.  I also am a bit of a long hitter, so a 64* allows me to use driver on a couple more holes and better birdie opportunities (specifically, 2 par 4's that are shortish but play uphill to small greens that slope away from front to back).  When I play longer courses, I don't use it as much.  I think that before players choose to leave it out of the bag, they should at least try one.  Everyone is making very valid points!

When you think about it, the lob wedge (let's say 60° to 64°) is the best club you have for pitching. Pick a target on the green and land it there.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Originally Posted by Steve K

When you think about it, the lob wedge (let's say 60° to 64°) is the best club you have for pitching. Pick a target on the green and land it there.

Why?  Where do you think that the term "pitching wedge" came from?  With any pitch I pick a target on the green and try to land it there, so that's nothing special.  I just don't see why you think that it's better or easier with a LW than with a SW or GW.

I personally find it much easier to pitch with a PW or GW (or even a 56° SW) because it's easier to make consistent contact on the sweet spot.  I'm much less likely to slide the club too far under the ball, especially in deep rough, and I almost never skull the ball with a PW or short iron.  I'm more likely to hit that aiming point on the green.  But then I prefer to land the ball farther from the hole and let it roll to the hole, and that is much more difficult with a high loft wedge.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I just see a lot of high handicappers using lob wedges when they really haven't yet built up the skill set needed to use them properly.  They too  often make that choice out of a desire to emulate their favorite pro rather than doing what's best for their game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

OK you're right. Use the club that will most comfortably let you pitch and roll to the hole. Perhaps we should recommend using the lob wedge only when no other club will do.  For instance when you have to go over a hazard and there's very little green to work with.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Originally Posted by Steve K

OK you're right. Use the club that will most comfortably let you pitch and roll to the hole. Perhaps we should recommend using the lob wedge only when no other club will do.  For instance when you have to go over a hazard and there's very little green to work with.

I think it's every man for himself.

The ones who can't handle a lob wedge will learn; the ones who can will profit from it.

When I was starting out --- again --- in the game, about 15 years ago, heck, I bought into geezer thought to use the lowest loft possible. I followed it ... I drank the kool-aid. As I developed a better short game and rhythm (and became less armsy), I could use a 58-60 with alarming consistency to save a par or bogey (Iron play has always been my bugaboo, which is why I'm slowly learning stack 'n tilt - I've tried everything else)

I really developed the lob wedge as a weapon after reading Stan Utley. But the real eye opener came after Mickelson's hinge and hold DVD's. I was hitting within 6 feet of the pin somewhat consistently from 50 yards and in .... during my last season of consistent play (2008). It was scary.

Everyone develops their own style of play. Just enjoy yourself and be creative.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Gerald

I don't know if your hc is really only 27.5, but at 27.5 forget a flop shot ...... there are so many options and only the guy with a near to scratch cap can hit this with confidence, after having hit thousands in practice and even then it is a 5 out of 10 shot at best.

Keeping the doubles and tripples from your card is what you have to focus on, if you are in this position, sometimes it is even better to take the bunker or hazard out of play , going arround it, take a stroke extra instead of 3 extra.

Lower handicaps tend not to become in those difficult positions, they will either be at the green or in the bunker beside the green but not at the spot you just decribed.

I was reading this thread waiting for someone to post this exact thing. My handicap flew down from about 17 to in the 10-12 area all because I manage the course now.  If I feel luck or a "great" shot will be needed, I look for another option. It is working out quite nicely with me finishing last season with a 38 (+2) on my final 9 holes.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Originally Posted by tws1098

I was reading this thread waiting for someone to post this exact thing. My handicap flew down from about 17 to in the 10-12 area all because I manage the course now.  If I feel luck or a "great" shot will be needed, I look for another option. It is working out quite nicely with me finishing last season with a 38 (+2) on my final 9 holes.

I appreciate that he made the distinction between a flop shot and a high pitch. How many guys think they've mastered the flop shot without having ever hit one at all?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

60* is as lofted as i would go. You shouldnt have to get the ball up any higher than you can with a 60, also hitting full shots with the 64 might

be a little difficult. I think if you are in the situation when you do need to get the ball up just open the face on that 60 and hit a high flop.

There are a lot of ways to work the ball and I believe being more versatile with certain clubs is a plus rather than adding clubs for certain shots

titleist.gif909 D2 w/ Aldila NV 75 x
titleist.gif909 F2 w/ VooDoo s
nike.gifVR TW Forged 3-PW 
nike.gifVR 52.10*, 56.14*, 60.10*ping.gifAnser  

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I appreciate that he made the distinction between a flop shot and a high pitch. How many guys think they've mastered the flop shot without having ever hit one at all?

Many.... many. I see guys all the time talk about the "flop" shot they just hit, and I just bite my tongue and keep quiet.  It takes more than just opening the face of a 60° wedge and then making your normal swing to qualify as a flop.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry a 54, 58, and have a 64 that I will switch in and out of my bag with a 3 iron, depending on what course I'm playing. Honestly, I scramble a lot, Wedge play is the strongest part of my game, and I almost never play bump and run golf. If that's your game, you have no use for a 64. If you like to flop it and spin it, you might. For whatever reason, my 64 fits my swing perfectly, and I there is no club I'd rather have in my and from 25-50 yards. I actually don't use it much inside 25 yards, unless I'm in a bunker with an overhanging lip. most of my greenside work is done with the 54 or 58

I'm very confident with my 60* and it's my go to club for most shots within 85 yards. Other than the putter, it is my most used club in the bag. I would like a lob wedge with a little more loft though, probably 62* or a 64*

I either want to go with 48*, 56*, 62* or 48*, 56*, 64* I'm leaning towards the latter, but does 8* gaps between wedges sound like too much? I rarely hit full wedges as I play a big course where I have a 7 or 8 iron into the par 4s. But, I'm worried about that being a hard transition as I currently play 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*.

Here will be the final compisition:

Driver - 9*

3-wood - 15.5*

Hybrid - 18*

3-Iron - 21*

4-Iron - 24*

5-Iron - 28*

6-Iron - 32*

7-Iron - 36*

8-Iron - 40*

9-Iron - 44*

48* Wedge

56* Wedge

64* Wedge

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

I say stay with your current wedge configuration: 4 degrees apart is perfect. You can add loft to your lob wedge by opening up the face.

I've had my 64 for around 3 years.  I've carried it and love it.  From 65 yards, it really helped me.  I used to have a hard time hitting soft 60s from 50 to 70 yards.  I don't find it any harder to hit than any other wedge.  You just got to have your hands in front of the ball at impact to have good results (as with any wedge shot).

I really don't use it around the green unless I am in a terrible spot.  If im on a downslope in a bunker or just way short sided with a tight lie, it is a great option.  Even moderate flop shots I use my 58.  If I don't need to hit a Mickelsonesk' shot I try to keep it simple and stick with my 58 or PW.  But when you need one it is nice to know you got the tool.

It is now getting worn.  I have a wedge I want to put in my bag (54 vokey) in its place but those 3-6 shots I use the 64 for, it is a huge advantage.  If I'm the par 5s well that day, I will have really good looks at birdie from 60-75 yards.  If it is one of those days I can't seem to hit a green and find really hard spots or have to lay up on par 4s, its the club.

Brian

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeTaylor

I'm very confident with my 60* and it's my go to club for most shots within 85 yards. Other than the putter, it is my most used club in the bag. I would like a lob wedge with a little more loft though, probably 62* or a 64*

I either want to go with 48*, 56*, 62* or 48*, 56*, 64* I'm leaning towards the latter, but does 8* gaps between wedges sound like too much? I rarely hit full wedges as I play a big course where I have a 7 or 8 iron into the par 4s. But, I'm worried about that being a hard transition as I currently play 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*.

Here will be the final compisition:

Driver - 9*

3-wood - 15.5*

Hybrid - 18*

3-Iron - 21*

4-Iron - 24*

5-Iron - 28*

6-Iron - 32*

7-Iron - 36*

8-Iron - 40*

9-Iron - 44*

48* Wedge

56* Wedge

64* Wedge

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

What's your current setup all about? Garage trashbag? Did you get robbed?

If it was my bag and I was starting over, I'd try to match the PW with the wedges, rather than the irons. I lean toward a 48, 54, 60 combo (matched set) or a 50, 55, 60.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I love my 60* wedge, and I can confidently claim to successfully hit flop shots.  Not sure if it'd be worth it to buy a 64* when you could just open the stance and club face like what's been mentioned.  It'd probably be a bigger help to your game to find more versatile shots around the greens instead of manipulating your equipment.  Just my humble opinion.

Why not focus on ball-striking so you wouldn't have as much of a need for the kind of shots that come with a 64* wedge?

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!