IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

She's got a great swing!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Yeah we're going to start using Nat's swing as the model on Evolvr.  "This 10 year old girl can do it, why can't you?"

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah we're going to start using Nat's swing as the model on Evolvr.  "This 10 year old girl can do it, why can't you?"

Erik, since you've posted her swing in here a couple of times, I kind of consider it her swing thread too ... so I don't think this is too off topic.  My first question was going to be about her current age, but Mike already answered that.  My other question is ... when did she start playing?  Just curious.

I fear that might be counterproductive. :-P

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah, that's it, make it hurt a little more why dontcha!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Erik, since you've posted her swing in here a couple of times, I kind of consider it her swing thread too ... so I don't think this is too off topic.  My first question was going to be about her current age, but Mike already answered that.  My other question is ... when did she start playing?  Just curious.

She's 10, but her bone age is still barely 6, so she's the size of a six-year-old. She's tiny. She'll keep growing much later - should end up 5'4" to 5'5" or so. She's been playing since she was two or three, but instruction then was limited to "two hands on the club please" and "whack it!" Only in the past year have we actually tried to build some structure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

... two or three, but instruction then was limited to "two hands on the club please" and "whack it!"  Only in the past year have we actually tried to build some structure.

OK, good, that's what I was looking for.  Right now, my son (just turned 4 - also about the size of a 6 year old cuz he takes after his dad ;)) is receiving the same type of instruction.  Golf or baseball, he grabs the club/bat and asks "like this?" and I say yes and he whacks it, or I say "no, the other way" and he flips his hands around and whacks it.  (Oh, and if he misses it on the downswing, that's ok cuz he usually nails it on the way back, hitting it straight backward. :))

• Administrator

Currently working on this feel in my wrists and the belly of my forearm (anterior surface, the palm side) to shallow out the club in transition. It must continue to feel very shallow to me already because I still struggle with steepening the shaft in transition.

I can play some pretty darn fine golf from there but it leads to enough missed shots a round that I'll continue to work on it. And as frustrating as it has been for me (going on two years now), it keeps getting better all the time and it's really just about the ONLY thing I've worked on for two years, so that's pretty nice. I don't have to suddenly start working on something else because it's gotten bad.

In other words, working on Key #4.

Analyzr notes say "Feeling across the line (needs to be shorter of course), then right palm up, right forearm belly up, arms coming down faster."

Two different swings above (hence the difference in positions at A4 - the DL view was just trying to make the move not worrying about length).

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Currently working on this feel in my wrists and the belly of my forearm (anterior surface, the palm side) to shallow out the club in transition. It must continue to feel very shallow to me already because I still struggle with steepening the shaft in transition. I can play some pretty darn fine golf from there but it leads to enough missed shots a round that I'll continue to work on it. And as frustrating as it has been for me (going on two years now), it keeps getting better all the time and it's really just about the ONLY thing I've worked on for two years, so that's pretty nice. I don't have to suddenly start working on something else because it's gotten bad. In other words, working on Key #4. Analyzr notes say "Feeling across the line (needs to be shorter of course), then right palm up, right forearm belly up, arms coming down faster." Two different swings above (hence the difference in positions at A4 - the DL view was just trying to make the move not worrying about length).

I'm working on the same thing. This post will help, I like those feels, will try them later today. Can you post a video of yourself working on this? Most of what I've tried has caused a lot of chaos in my shoulder pitch and my butt. Can't seem to get it to shallow out without creating some really whacky compensations. The DTL on the bottom left looks awesome. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm working on the same thing. This post will help, I like those feels, will try them later today.

I'd caution you against that. If you're on evolvr, work on your pieces, not something you glean from someone else's "My Swing" thread. This practice move is a sensation that works for me and is compatible with my current grip, rates (of many things, etc.). I do not want to ever achieve anything LIKE the position at A4 in the pictures above, it's simply a position that "sets up" my transition feel.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Can you post a video of yourself working on this? Most of what I've tried has caused a lot of chaos in my shoulder pitch and my butt. Can't seem to get it to shallow out without creating some really whacky compensations. The DTL on the bottom left looks awesome.

No, I'd prefer not to, partly for the reasons above and partly because most people don't realize what they'd be seeing, what to look for, why it's good, etc.

10-4

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Perhaps a silly question Erik (and this goes for Dave, Mike, James, and the rest of 'em too) but are you your own teacher?  By that I mean is it easy enough for you guys to diagnose your own videos, or do you find that it's easier to bounce it off of each other?

• Administrator

Perhaps a silly question Erik (and this goes for Dave, Mike, James, and the rest of 'em too) but are you your own teacher?  By that I mean is it easy enough for you guys to diagnose your own videos, or do you find that it's easier to bounce it off of each other?

Sometimes A, sometimes B.

I'm guessing you would have guessed that. :D

Sometimes A, sometimes B.

I'm guessing you would have guessed that. :D

Pretty much.  I mean, it's not like you guys are hairdressers or heart surgeons, where it would be physically impossible for you to take care of yourselves, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Good question, my answer is similar to Erik's but slightly more in the B category.  I can diagnose my swing and priority piece, but I like having someone telling me what to do so I don't get distracted by the other things I do wrong

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Did a little work on my swing recently with Dave helping. My backswing is pretty good, still working on the slight steepening I tend to do in transition. Dave noticed this and we attacked it in a familiar but at the same time slightly different way.

BTW, apologies for the darkness of these photos. Dave screwed up his camera settings. :)

In other words, my right arm was staying bent too long. These are posed pictures trying to keep the right arm bent longer (left image) and then straightening it quickly (right). Note the difference in the clubhead position - very IN swing direction on the left, and very OUT swing direction on the right.

The A7 of the posed A6 above. Note the differences in the shoulder alignments (when I get steep, I rotate more to get the clubhead on the golf ball). The posed photos (both sets) are exaggerations to illustrate the point.

My feel. IMMEDIATE straightening of the right arm, OUT towards the orange ball, with the belly or underside of my right forearm feeling like it's pointing at about a 45° angle to my right and away from me (away from the target about 135°). This both helps speed up my arms relative to my rotation AND prevents #3 from rolling in transition to steepen the shaft.

An actual swing from the middle of the practice session. Not the most awesome contact here (a bit heavy and on the toe), but I was just working on the sensations here and you can see the shaft going down the Diagonal Sweetspot Path and into the ball. I'd later add in the feeling of moving my hips forward while doing the two things above (1: straighten right arm immediately outward, even starting it at A3, 2: belly of forearm out and away that 45°) and contact cleaned up tremendously.

I hit a lot of pushes and push-draws, with what felt like a "nothing" swing that absolutely crushed the ball (for me - 7I ~ 167-170). When I say it feels like "nothing" I mean because I've had to work so hard and rotate so hard to get any speed, actually improving my sequencing by using my right arm allows me to feel like I'm doing very little, yet still keeping clubhead speed up (or even notching it higher), while improving consistency at the same time.

I'm going to invent a machine that will punch me in the nose anytime I don't get the club in the position of the pic on the left.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently working on this feel in my wrists and the belly of my forearm (anterior surface, the palm side) to shallow out the club in transition. It must continue to feel very shallow to me already because I still struggle with steepening the shaft in transition.

Do you find that people who are right side dominant (left side for lefties) tend to have a steeper clubhead angle into the ball? I remember you saying that you were more right side dominant in the golf swing. I am just curious if this is something that people who are right side dominant fight a lot with.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: