IGNORED

1st Round of 2011, what was yours like?

buckeyeben14
Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Flew down to NC and played Tobacco Road last Sunday.  Shot an 84 after not swining a club since November so that was about right.  Putting was tough as half the greens were punched but the driver and irons were working well.  Now I'm back north and it's 12F and no chance of getting out again until I fly back down to NC for my buddies trip in 3 weeks.

02/17/2011 Crooked Tree Golf Course Mason, Ohio

It was mid 50's pretty windy. Only one set of tee's was open (whites). Number 3 and hole number 14 the greens were unplayable so they made a make shift green at the end of the fairfway. The couple ponds on the course were still frozen over. So the geese that were on the course were just walking across the pond lol. One of my buddies actually hit one of his shots onto the pond and it ended up taking a good bounce an came back into play. The course was pretty damn muddy, not in the best shape considering it didn't look like they got to mow anything. I ended up shooting a 79. First time out with the set of nike pro combo forged i just got this winter. Good fun. Crooked Tree makes you play the course. Pretty tight fairfways lined with tree's an ob. The thing i like about is it you find yourself thinking about the best spot to hit the ball. Really makes you think about club choice.

89 and I left at least 7 shots on the course from stupid play!  It felt good but was definitely not putting 100% into shots, more like a crisp 70%.

Also it is detrimental to test a new 60 deg wedge on the first round too..

81 on Sunday afternoon, which I was happy with after starting 5 over through the first 4 holes!  Got it together after that and hit the ball ok for the first round.  Still lots of rust in the swing, but it was nice to enjoy the good weather and get out there.

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

I also live in NE Ohio...

My first round of 2011 was on January 1st - remember, if you will, how warm it was that day?

I shot 76 on a par 70 (Copper Top @ Cherokee Hills) which was remarkable because the greens were awful and I hit it TERRIBLY off the tee...and it was windy as hell. Hit my irons well and bailed myself out with the wedges. No birdies. Six bogies. A flat, cruddy round with a scorecard that wasn't as bad as it shoulda been. Only hit a few fairways.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Unfortunately I'm still awaiting the chance to get a round in this year. Would've liked to have played over that stretch where it was up around 60 but I was out of town and the day after I get back we get about 5 inches of snow. Then last night we got another 7 or 8 inches so their's at least a foot of snow covering the fairways now. Looks like it's gonna be about another month at least before it all melts and the courses dry out.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Unless a fitting session for new irons counts I am about 1-2 months away from my 1st round.....sigh.....need to move to a warmer state.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First round of the year today. Played the front 9 alone, playing through 3 other groups in the process and finished in 50 minutes. Left then and took my wife out to lunch. Returned 2 hours later to play the back 9. Only had to play through one group that time. Shot a smooth 3 over par 39 on the front. The back 9 was more of a problem, although I did have a run of 4 straight pars starting on 13. Shot a 6 over 42 on the back for a nice 81. Not bad for playing after a 2 month layoff for winter weather and hernia surgery.

It was quite windy (another winter storm is pushing into the mountains from California), and the course was in typical winter condition, brown dormant grass, dry, bristly, and hard to judge the roll for putting and chipping. Still I didn't have a single 3 putt, so that part of the game didn't suffer from the layoff.

It was good to be back out playing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Shot 88, much better on the back 9 than the front 9. Putting was very good even though I haven't practiced at all. Can't wait for the practice greens to start opening up. Think I might get my 2nd round of golf for the year next Wednesday! 53° F with ~10 mph winds in NYC!

« Keith »

83??...3 greens were closed because they were still way too wet fr play, so couldn't really judge what I would've scored on those 3, but I based my score on those three holes on how I drove and where I landed the approach shot. On a very positive note, I had 3 birdies and 2 pars in a row on the back 9, very very excited, since I've been really practicing with my putter around the house all winter.

I played a couple weeks back. I had a good round. I made good contact and didn't fight with my old nemesis the slice all day. My short game was a bit off, and my putting was absolutely atrocious, though. Too bad it's been too wet to play here since then. I'm hoping to get out this thursday.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

My first round was a 7:45 A.M. tee time on New Years' Day, the first round of the year at Eagle Mountain in Jacksonville, Florida. I shot an 87 which is my lowest 18 score ever. Hopefully, it's a good omen for golf for the rest of the year.

Originally Posted by BamaGolf4

My first round was a 7:45 A.M. tee time on New Years' Day, the first round of the year at Eagle Mountain in Jacksonville, Florida. I shot an 87 which is my lowest 18 score ever. Hopefully, it's a good omen for golf for the rest of the year.

What time did you go to bed? Did you even see the ball drop? I might have still been awake celebrating when you teed off...... But still, I would have loved to golf that morning especially in Florida. The only thing I need to golf that early is my clubs and an ice cold Arnold Palmer.

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Driver
TaylorMade R9 3 Wood
Callaway FT-IZ 3 Hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 3 irons- pitching wedge
Tommy Armour 56 degree Sand WedgeTitleist Bob Vokey 60 degree Lob WedgeRed Nike BagNike GloveNike/Titleist Pro-V1 golf balls

I also posted my first round here .  In short...not bad but have a few things to work on.  Mostly a driver that is trending right at the time.  I need to pull that back in a bit.  Other than that, the swing feels good for February.

It was just nice to get out and play in perfect weather...78 and partly cloudy with a slight breeze.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Originally Posted by BamaGolf4

Is it possible to be a 10 handicapper if you say that 87 is your lowest round ever?

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!