IGNORED

Do golf shoes really need spikes?

Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by DaggerSA

1. I don't need to know your golf swing. I know physics. You cannot break the laws of physics. period.

2. Clubs, green fees, bag, balls.... and you want to save the equivalent of about 3 dozen balls by eliminating the proper footwear. Sorry. I don't follow that rationale at all. Do you wear gloves? You could defy physics there too and save another $10.

I don't wear a glove - haven't for at least 15 years, so I've saved a hell of a lot more than $10.

I sometimes just don't feel like putting on my golf shoes out in the parking lot - yeah some days I'm that lazy .  My scoring has never shown any correlation with what I have on my feet.  I can shoot a bad round in golf shoes with brand new spikes just as often as I shoot a good round in sneakers.  I usually buy cross trainers because they have a better tread pattern than any sort of court shoes, and as a result, they are pretty good on grass too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually ordered some new golf shoes today because my old ones sucked and hurt my feet.

I honestly don't think spikes are really needed but I am not going to wear my every days shoes out on the golf course anyway or they will get messed up.  Might as well get some golf shoes I figured.

The only problem i have is when its wet out and i am hitting my driver. Besides that, wear what ever you want. Sam Sneed played golf barefoot for crying out LOUD!!! :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Ok ok ok I get it. The answer lies in the dynamics of you individual swing. For me, I put an incredible amount of pressure on my right foot as I push and shift my weight and turn. There is no way I can maintain an anchored stance without nipples or spikes (I wear nippled shoes). How do I know this? Because I tried and fell on my ass when my right foot gave out. I also have a loose grip. No glove means the club moves as I accelerate through the swing. I even keep my glove on when I putt. I have very little experience in this game, but last year with intense training and playing I brought my handicap from a 34 in January to 20 by October. Everything I learned about dynamic balance... that works for me...will not work without a properly anchored foot. So I concede. Perhaps YOU don't need spikes or nipples but I do.

Originally Posted by Camo

I miss the clickedy click sound of metal spikes walking across the parking lot towards the club house. When I was just a kid playing with my dad I used to love that sound. When I got my first pair as a teen it always reminded me of those days.

I too miss that sound.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by Never Lay Up

If over 99% of tour players wear shoes with spikes why question if you should wear them?

I wear them because I like the feel of them, but choosing to wear or use something because someone else gets paid $100m to use or wear it does not really make sense.

If Nike decide to get Tiger and Rory to wear Tennis shoes should people change?

I truely think tour player wear them for performance, but when money and sponsorship is involved then a smart person looks for evidence of an imporovement in performance, not who is wearing them.

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

I love my spiked shoes, can't golf without them. I have 3 pairs. I tried spikeless shoes, they turned into a pair of spare loafing around shoes, because they blew for golf.

Big fan of Nike, Footjoy, and Puma shoes.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so first of all, I screwed up with my last post, messaged "newtogolf" personally about my screwup to apologize, we're good now.

Secondly, this thread contributed to my motivation to actually buy golf spikes... just a week and a half ago.

What I didn't mention before is that I had a terrible experience with some golf spikes a few years back, because they hurt my feet. Perhaps it was a lousy pair or the wrong size... we'll never know. But it definitely caused me to develop a favoritism for sneakers, because I knew they would be comfortable. Walking the course as I usually do (see handle), shoe comfort will always be of utmost importance to me.

It appears these new ones are doing the job very nicely. They're FootJoy Greenjoys, and they look exactly like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360406273755?hlp=false&var;=630023366255

I got them for $35, so it was hard to say no to a price like that. Now that they're broken in, my feet indeed remain joyous throughout a round of golf.

As for the functionality of now wearing golf spikes, I'll say "maybe" for now. There were definitely some shots out there today with super-weird footing (e.g. 100-yard approach shot from the side of a tree, nailed it!), and I'm sure they were helpful at those times. I've always been a light hitter, so once I learn to put a little more force into the back of the ball, I'll really feel the benefit.

Shot 92 today. I'm happy.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Please bear with me for a minute. I have been golfing consistently for only 8 months so my opinion probably shouldn't be considered over some of the more experienced golfers on here. Just bought my first set of spikes 2 weeks ago and spent about 99 dollars for the Nike Lunar Control Golf Shoes. It was awkward going from tennis shoes to spikes. I noticed i topped the ball more frequently at first. I hit up the golf range a few times and it wasn't getting any better. But when i played 18 holes a few days ago, i guess i must have finally adjusted because i seemed to have a lot more stability in my swing and was able to more consistently hit some great drives. Its only been a few weeks mind you, but after the adjustment period it feels like i have a bit more stability in my swing.

I long while ago, i played a few rounds in tennis shoes and found that i feel more free and flexible on my short game.

However, i cannot swing a driver/wood/long iron without slipping.

I have a "goofy" friend I play with and sometimes goes barefoot...and he says that he never slips...weirdo!

Driver: R11s 9* ( -1* )

3Wood: Burner SuperFast 15*

3Hybrid: Burner SuperFast 18*

Irons: CB Tour Preferred forged 4-PW

Wedges: Nike Victory Red forged 52*  56*  58*

Putter: White Hot XG #7

Bag: 2011 Lightweight Stand

Ball: Pro V1x

Personally, I can't stand playing in soft spike golf shoes. I switched from some FootJoys to True Tours when they came out and will never go back. This year I am playing in some Nike Free 4.0 trainers and am in love. My feet feel solid on the turf, walking the greens I can really feel the contours and at the end of rounds my feet feel as good as they did on the first hole.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

I find that without the spikes I lose my footing on drives quite often. The purpose they serve is preventing unwanted slips during swings, I have never found them so good as to prohibit a strong swing though. So I wear then when practicing even on mats.

i had the same thoughts TRD, i was instructed by a friend who is a teaching pro to go to the course with my gear and a pair of flip flops to wear between shots. in other words PLAY BAREFOOT if you're loosing your footing a lot of times it's due to a balance point being off that will get addressed by playing barefoot.

I didn't believe it so I wanted to prove him wrong and boy did it go the other way from what I expected. after a few shots I was striking the ball MUCH better and my balance was spot on and I personally couldn't even tell you that I was barefoot while swinging

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

I have a pair of Nike spikes I keep in the car just in case the course is really wet, but I actually prefer to wear a pair of New Balance hiking shoes.

They are easier on my feet and ankles and have enough grip/tread on them that they prevent me from slipping.

i had the same thoughts TRD, i was instructed by a friend who is a teaching pro to go to the course with my gear and a pair of flip flops to wear between shots. in other words PLAY BAREFOOT if you're loosing your footing a lot of times it's due to a balance point being off that will get addressed by playing barefoot. I didn't believe it so I wanted to prove him wrong and boy did it go the other way from what I expected. after a few shots I was striking the ball MUCH better and my balance was spot on and I personally couldn't even tell you that I was barefoot while swinging

I was just going to post something similar about "do your feet really need shoes?". I've practiced and played in bare feet many times. First time was in Hawaii back in the mid 80's. I saw some locals going bare, and I figured, why not? It certainly makes you aware of your footwork, but once you get used to it, it's second nature to NOT over swing. I would prefer bare feet to spikeless sneakers in damp conditions, though.

Originally Posted by Never Lay Up

If over 99% of tour players wear shoes with spikes why question if you should wear them?

So we should all be swinging blades ?

:)

Originally Posted by loki16

So we should all be swinging blades ?

:)

I'd bet more tour players are playing some kind of cavity back club these days than play straight blades, so I'll say, no.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by RayG

I was just going to post something similar about "do your feet really need shoes?". I've practiced and played in bare feet many times. First time was in Hawaii back in the mid 80's. I saw some locals going bare, and I figured, why not? It certainly makes you aware of your footwork, but once you get used to it, it's second nature to NOT over swing. I would prefer bare feet to spikeless sneakers in damp conditions, though.

yes it is a GREAT way to get your swing back in rhythm. I spend a lot of time on the range barefoot. However when I play I make sure to have a pair of flip flops or some sort of shoe i can slip on while i walk. The last thing i want to do is step on a tee in the grass or a piece of a beer can that was hit by a mower and ripped apart or even a critter just going along with their life that i step too close too and threaten them and end up with a sting or bite.

I feel it's really a great way to practice bunker play as well

Titleist 910 D2 10.5 Aldila RIP Phenom

Callaway RAZR fit 3 wood Avixcore 69 series

Mizuno MP650 19* hybrid

Scratch SB-1 DS 4-PW R+ C-Taper

Scratch 1018 DS 53 & 60

Low Tide Fin 

3UP 3F12

Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!