IGNORED

Does Anyone Know What Ben Hogan’s “Secret” Was?

9 minutes ago, dufferifick said:

another one that can't read!

That is insulting-I did not quote you and was not responding to you.

That thread is not even yours.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

That is insulting-I did not quote you and was not responding to you.

That thread is not even yours.

the implications were there, don't be coy

exactly what made you think of that?

Edited by dufferifick

ok, sorry if I insulted you.

But I just reread Hogan's downswing chapter and didn't see where he said he pushed off with his right foot.

and I tried to keep the discussion relevant to the op's questions/statement; about keeping the club face square to the swing arc.....which is what the D plane is all about, well at least at impact.

Edited by dufferifick

23 minutes ago, dufferifick said:

the implications were there, don't be coy

exactly what made you think of that?

It is a recent topic.-So top of mind. It is not like I spend all day on here.

You know what they say about assuming things.-The implication was not there. Wrong.

Just now, dufferifick said:

But I just reread Hogan's downswing chapter and didn't see where he said he pushed off with his right foot.

He did not say D-Plane either. Leave me alone.-It was a joke.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

It is a recent topic.-So top of mind. It is not like I spend all day on here.

You know what they say about assuming things.-The implication was not there. Wrong.

He did not say D-Plane either. Leave me alone.-It was a joke.

that was a secret!🙂

Edited by dufferifick

7 minutes ago, dufferifick said:

5 minutes ago, dufferifick said:

that was a secret!🙂

:doh:

• Administrator

@dufferifick, stop.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

BH had no secret just as Moe Norman has been so over hyped out of sympathy it rose to the level of patronizing him.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 10 months later...
On 3/2/2011 at 10:21 PM, EverythingGolf said:

There has been some debate about the swing arc and that been hogan knew the secret to keeping the club square to this swing arc etc. I am hoping I can get peoples ideas and fact about hogan's swing.

I'm an enormous Hogan fan, I'd even call myself a Hogan disciple. I've read everything I can, watched every clip of him, modeled parts of my game after him, I even have a collection of everything Hogan I can purchase. In all my studies, I never read/watched/heard Ben Hogan reference some sort of secret. This so-called "secret" is purely a product of whichever third-party author or instructor is treading on Mr Hogan's reputation for their own gains. 

Ben Hogan is a legend of golf, just like Nicklaus, Palmer, Woods, Bobby Jones, or even the best golfer you know personally. Great golf is a product of the unfathomable hours of practice they've dug out of the dirt. It also comes by way of how that practice translates to the level of unwavering confidence it takes to play golf at the highest level. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I don’t know about Ben’s supposed secret, but being from Central Ohio I know about Victoria’s. It really isn’t a secret…that chick is a ho 😂

I heard something similar on a comedy station a number of years ago.

• Funny 1

Ben Hogan's secret. It wasn’t one golf tip, one thing standing by itself or one item causing all the other things, that will immediately help you, make everything work and produce excellent ball flight results. But unfortunately that is what many are searching for, hoping for! If there was a secret, it would include this; an integrated pattern of movements producing consistent and powerful (enough) ball flight. The discovery of that by a third person observer would require an intelligent deep analysis of the golf stroke by involving multiple fields of scientific study integrated into a unified theoretical perspective.

Just saying

That he was a generational talent with obsession and ambition to spare?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Hogan and Moe Norman had the same idea: the longer your back left hand travels down the target line at the impact, the better you strike the ball. So it is no secret it's just doing it about a thousand times a day.

2 hours ago, mdl said:

That he was a generational talent with obsession and ambition to spare?

I believe an argument could be made that Byron Nelson was more talented out of that generation. Hogan certainly worked the hardest.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 hours ago, billchao said:

I believe an argument could be made that Byron Nelson was more talented out of that generation. Hogan certainly worked the hardest.

Sure. Mickelson was a generational talent too. Just not nearly as talented as Tiger!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚