IGNORED

My Swing (Ben)

Ben
Note: This thread is 4461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah it does look like its going well left off the face. Dunno what's up with that? But I assure you these two shots were frozen ropes directly to my target, which was the same as the other day, a large tree out in the distance (236y). framed in red in the picture below. Today I was in a spot a little more left on the range. You can't really tell from the camera being low, but I also have a shaft lined up straight at it. Johnthejointer pointed out my alignment the other day, and I did in fact reply that yes, I do set up with my feet closed to the target (more closed the longer club). That's why I posted the Hogan Stance diagram. You will see that with a driver he prefers a rather closed stance. My purpose for these videos was to help me find out why I'm pulling the ball. And to post here cause its been a while since I've posted anything new. I found out what was a cause for the pulls, but, alignment was not one of the culprits. So here's the tree. Feet closed, clubface square, shoulders square. Nice shots!

thistree.jpg

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I have to say this before you start shouting at me, you have a great swing, now to start tearing it to shreds "just joking".
Its hard to slow down your swing on the video but if you go to the one on your long video and go  the swing that ends around 5.30, you'll see at the point of contact your hips have cleared but your shoulder are still square to your target and you pulled it, now compare it to your next swing your hips and shoulders have cleared to the same degree and you flushed that one

Originally Posted by Ben

Yeah it does look like its going well left off the face. Dunno what's up with that? But I assure you these two shots were frozen ropes directly to my target, which was the same as the other day, a large tree out in the distance (236y).

Hey Ben,

You can take this for what it is worth.  Sounds like you've determined that your clubface was shut on the backswing, resulting in some lefts.

If you're hitting 'frozen ropes' left of target, this suggests that the clubface is closed at impact, and the path is slightly across the ball.

Here area a few things I observed:

Ben Setup.jpg
The target (tree) is shown here in green.  Shoulders are open to your target, hips square, feet are closed by about 50-70' of where they 'should' be, depending on who you ask.  Again, I understand you like that Hogan diagram, but consider what this setup might cause.

Ben Footwork.jpg

Moving into impact.  The orange lines measure the flex and movement of your right hip and knee.  One was drawn at address, the other well before impact.  Look at the movement of the right knee towards the ball and the lifting of the right heel.

Because your hips were closed to the target, you're forced to rotate them excessively rather than translating them toward the target.  Your body won't let you move your hips laterally because it knows that would send the ball way right of your target (due to setup).  As a result, the hips spin and the club approaches the ball slightly from the outside.

Couples Impact.jpg

You mentioned Fred Couples was a swing mentor of yours.  His position here is very, very different.  Look at the minimal movement of his right knee towards the ball, as well as the low right heel.  Fred isn't rotating his hips here nearly as much as he is moving them toward the target.  He's also setup well with his feet left of target (although, he is swinging an iron here).

Ben After Impact.jpg

Here is the path of your clubhead (blue) and the ball after contact (yellow).  Hard to see exactly whats going on here because the camera isn't positioned right on the target line, but the ball starts left of target and stays there.  Notice how early your club gets low and left of target?

The fact that your shoulders are open and feet well closed could be things to thing about.

I don't mean to reinvent the wheel of your swing with this post, but I de believe that being closed at setup is causing a few issues with mechanics here.

• Upvote 2

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Wow, that's really awesome. Thanks delav! Can't hurt to play around with my feet as well I guess. I'll have to check out that analyzrgolf site too. Is it free? Looks pretty bitchin.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Ben,

Analyzr is a great tool, I'm just getting to know the software myself.  Here is the website:

http://analyzrgolf.com/

It's only available for Mac OSX, but perhaps that too could be a change for the better :)

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Nothing really big here, but do you ever use a glove?

You could get a bitchin nickname opposite of tommy 2 glove gainey ..

Ben No glove whateveryourlastnameis

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

• 2 months later...

Went to the range today and took an assortment of videos with different clubs. 54*, 6i, 3i, 3w, Driver. Working on a few things lately. Keeping my backswing on plane is one, I tend to be a tad too upright. I'm also working on lag and the Hogan chain reaction. Making sure the clubface gets delivered to the ball correctly. I think there's four swings in each video...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Very unremarkable swing... and I mean that as a huge compliment.  I like how your pre-shot routine is short and simple.  Swing looks effortless, no wasted movement.  No big turns, no sharp angles.  You remind me of a MLB all-star taking batting practice.  Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

CARBITE Putter

Your swing looks pretty sound fundamentally, but you are a little loose with your angles.  Bend your knees just a touch more to get your weight in your quads.  It looks like you are shifting fine with the lower body, but it's a straight-legged shift, which makes you lose your spine angle on the down swing and cast to get back to the ball to make up the height difference.  Because of the straight-leg action, your rotation is limited and the legs can't work effectively to add power while preserving club head lag.  Check out this guy.  He keeps his angles best on tour right now IMO:

Here's you.

You at impact

Here's Charl Schwartzel.

Schwartzel at impact

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator

Ben, just a suggestion... but I'd work on controlling the right knee. More forwards and a whole lot less towards the golf ball. It's a big part of your head yanking off the wall.

_ben0.jpg

_ben1.jpg

_ben2.jpg

(Red line not 100% accurate because of the camera view being too far to the right, but the knee definitely goes well across where it should.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by delav

Ben,

Analyzr is a great tool, I'm just getting to know the software myself.  Here is the website:

http://analyzrgolf.com/

It's only available for Mac OSX, but perhaps that too could be a change for the better :)

For windows I would get Kinovea . It is very good and open source(free), and if you don't support open source i'm going to find you and... I probably won't ever find you

• Upvote 1

:whistle:

• 8 months later...

Taken this morning. Trying to get flatter on the backswing. Feels flat, doesn't really look all that flat though...

Compared to older swings maybe? http://www.youtube.com/user/benplaysgolf?feature=mhee

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Your backswing is far from flat. Plus if you want to flatten your backswing I think you need to make sure you keep the face square to the arc at P2. Otherwise you are going to have some incompatible pieces.

Right now, except for the earlier comments about your right leg, your swing is pretty good. You maybe over swing a bit, which causes your lower body to be a bit disconnected, but without a face on view that is hard to tell.

Michael

"Overswing" is definitely not a term that someone has ever used in describing my swing, that's for sure. Most of the time I think I underswing... ha.

And forget getting flat. I've had enough with screwing with my swing. It produces a nice fade that I can rely on. I gotta get more rounds on the course. And sharpen up my wedge game...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

"Overswing" is definitely not a term that someone has ever used in describing my swing, that's for sure. Most of the time I think I underswing... ha.

And forget getting flat. I've had enough with screwing with my swing. It produces a nice fade that I can rely on. I gotta get more rounds on the course. And sharpen up my wedge game...

Well said.  If you can control low point and have an idea where the ball is going then I wouldn't be to worried about what my swing looked like. You are already at a high level so short game is going to save you the shots you need to compete.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Note: This thread is 4461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!