IGNORED

My driver fitting (The_Pharaoh)

Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

P.. I used to have similar numbers as you. # that 907d2 head spins a ton... Buy yourself a 10.5 driver with a kalli 70s. I guanrantee you will hit the ball farther and more solid.. I believe you should be around 14 luanch and spin numbers around 2500-2600 if you do not play in windy conditions or 2800-3000 for windy golf... More spin will resist the affects of the wind...

Kaili 70g S rocks !

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Originally Posted by proguy747

P..  I used to have similar numbers as you.    # that 907d2 head spins a ton...     Buy yourself a 10.5 driver with a kalli 70s. I guanrantee you will hit the ball farther and more solid..   I believe you should be around 14 luanch and spin numbers around 2500-2600 if you do not play in windy conditions or 2800-3000 for windy golf...      More spin will resist the affects of the wind...

Tbh, I've never really liked the 907 D2. I think Trackman said 8 was the ideal launch angle (I was around 14 but still not optimising) but will have to check that when I get my results from the fitter. We were also working towards 2900 spin rate. I was generally in the high 3000s using a 10.5 Callaway Razr Hawk with an Aldila RIP S shaft. During session 3 I'll try the same club and shaft with a 9.5 head to try and lower the ball flight and spin rate. I seem to hit the ball low to start with, then it climbs too high and comes down to earth too steeply.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

If you're fitting to a 105 mph club head speed and roughly 155 mph ball speed, you'd be looking at an optimum launch angle of around 10 degrees. Assuming a more or less level angle of attack and an average shaft bend contribution of 1.6 degrees, that would point you towards 9.5 and 10.5 degree heads in the commonly-available OEM lofts. You've got quite a bit of leeway with backspin. 3000 rpm is about the theoretical ideal for your ball speed, but you'll see very little difference in distance anywhere in the range of 2750 - 3500 rpm.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Tbh, I've never really liked the 907 D2. I think Trackman said 8 was the ideal launch angle (I was around 14 but still not optimising) but will have to check that when I get my results from the fitter. We were also working towards 2900 spin rate. I was generally in the high 3000s using a 10.5 Callaway Razr Hawk with an Aldila RIP S shaft. During session 3 I'll try the same club and shaft with a 9.5 head to try and lower the ball flight and spin rate. I seem to hit the ball low to start with, then it climbs too high and comes down to earth too steeply.

Ideally you want to increase your launch.  I read your original number with the BS at 142.  If you have a ballspeed of 155 you can reduce your launch to around 12.   I will reread but the numbers point toward a swing problem  of attacking the ball  downward..  You need to be hitting up on the ball...   This will reduce your backspin numbers and increase your launch....  Inse leaning way right otant distance.    Pic of set-up?   drop that right side and feel as though you are leaning way right.

Ok I have read more of your post..   The ball position is to far foward and this is why you hit it low on the face.....  Move the ball back off of the heel. You are moving foward of the shot or getting ahead of it..    Post a swing video.  You need to try and keep your head behind the ball...  Based on your post you have a lung toward the target probably from someone telling you to get into your leftside.  Dont worry we all get this at one point...  If you want to really increase your driver distance post a swing then we can help you improve.   These factors and that fact you are playing with such a low lofted driver might coencide with each other.

Originally Posted by proguy747

If you have a ballspeed of 155 you can reduce your launch to around 12. The numbers point toward a swing problem  of attacking the ball  downward..  You need to be hitting up on the ball...   This will reduce your backspin numbers and increase your launch....  Inse leaning way right otant distance.    Pic of set-up?   drop that right side and feel as though you are leaning way right.

The ball position is to far foward and this is why you hit it low on the face. Move the ball back off of the heel. You are moving foward of the shot or getting ahead of it. You need to try and keep your head behind the ball. Based on your post you have a lung toward the target probably from someone telling you to get into your leftside. If you want to really increase your driver distance post a swing then we can help you improve.

I think this is the reason why my fitting is taking too long. I've wasted a lot of time trying different swings to try and hit up on the ball. I've been driving the fitter crazy as it is making it harder for him to narrow in on the correct club. The moment I tried swing changes my ball striking was all over the place messing up the numbers. No matter what I tried I was unable to get much of a positive AoA. I put the ball way forward, stayed way back etc. but all it did was screw up my smash factor and reduce clubhead speed.

But you are right, my original ball position was too far forward so have moved it back a tad. That really helped achieve much better contact and hit less from the outside. My hands were behind or in line with the clubhead and that was contributing to flipping and rolling the hands over through contact.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Club 907 D2 8.5º FTiz 10º i15 9.5º Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5
Swing speed (mph) 97.6 98 100.7 103.9 With a swing speed of 100 mph, you should be able to carry around 240-250 yards
Angle of Attack 0.6 -0.7 -1.7 -2,1 Your AoA is not too bad, pretty much around the bottom of the swing path
Club Path -2.4 -5.5 -6.2 -0,5 There is your over the top stuff, hard to hit a draw, but a fade works
Vertical Swing Plane 52.6 51.4 50.7 47 Consistent, it varies with the height of the player, club length etc. Tour pro average is 48º
Horizontal Swing Plane -1.9 -6.2 -7.1 -2,4 Pretty much the same value as club path
Dynamic Loft 14.8 15.1 14.2 14.6 A result of AoA, static loft and the amount of bend in the shaft (typicall around +2º)
Face Angle 2.4 -2.9 -2.0 -1,6 Negative number is shut clubface, positive is open. With your out-in swingpath, it is natural that you close the clubface a bit to hit it straighter
Ball Speed 144.8 145.4 146.4 152 Tells us the ideal launch angle is 14º and spin rate is 3300-3550
Smash Factor 1.48 1.48 1.45 1.46 Pretty solid
Vertical Launch Angle 12.8 12.4 12.2 12.5 Ideally you probably want this to be a degree or two higher
Horizontal Launch Angle 1.5 -2.9 -2.6 -1,5 Always outside of your swing path, meaning you fade it
Spin Rate 3525 3448 3034 3217 In the exact area where you want it to be.
Spin Axis 12.2 5.9 9.8 -2,7 Positive numbers means the ball will fade
Carry 225 230 230 246 Not maximum, you can probably get another 10-20 yards out of it
Total 246 250 255 266 Not much to talk about
Landing angle 38.5 39.1 35.3 39.6 Tour average is 39º, you want it below 40º with the driver

Gents, I am homing in on my new driver (Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5 Aldila RIP S 62g Mid/High Kick Mid Torque). See improved results above (thanks for the chart Zeph!). We are set on the club and shaft but going to try 9.5 to see if I can squeeze out another 5 yards or so of carry. My main problem is catching the ball low on the face and hitting the odd balloon. I am also going to switch to the Pro V1 ball as it is slightly less spinny.

Explain "Basic Version of Trackman"?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

It's Trackman Range, their basic unit for fixed installations at driving ranges. I believe it collects less data than the top-of-the-line Trackman Pro model. You don't get club head measurements, for one thing. http://www.trackman.dk/Products/TrackMan-Range.aspx

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Explain "Basic Version of Trackman"?

Yes, basically the Range version only tracks the ball and not the club head. It's OK, but incomplete. Depends what you are looking to get out of it.

Quote:

Gents, I am homing in on my new driver (Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5 Aldila RIP S 62g Mid/High Kick Mid Torque). We are set on the club and shaft but going to try 9.5 to see if I can squeeze out another 5 yards or so of carry. My main problem is catching the ball low on the face and hitting the odd balloon. I am also going to switch to the Pro V1 ball as it is slightly less spinny.

What is the maximum carry with a 105 MPH SS?

Club 907 D2 8.5º Proforce V2 Callaway Razr Hawk 9.5 Aldila RIP
Swing speed (mph) 103.3 105
Angle of Attack 0.9 -1,3
Club Path -0,4 2.7
Vertical Swing Plane 44.4 45.4
Horizontal Swing Plane 1.1 1.4
Dynamic Loft 11.7 14.4
Face Angle 2.5 3.1
Ball Speed 153.1 155.5
Smash Factor 1.48 1.48
Vertical Launch Angle 9.5 12.3
Horizontal Launch Angle 2.1 3.3
Spin Rate 3724 2830
Spin Axis 6.0 -2,6
Carry (yards) 254 272
Total (yards) 276 298
Landing angle 37.6 36.9

Gents, I finally finished my driving fitting and the results can be found above. No guesses as to which driver I'll be switching to! This time we took the session outside to a proper range. I would say there was a 10-12 MPH tailwind.

• Administrator

What is the maximum carry with a 105 MPH SS?

At the very most, about 265. That's with everything maxed out and as good as it can get. In yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

At the very most, about 265. That's with everything maxed out and as good as it can get. In yards.

Thanks Erik. Obviously, the tailwind was a factor during my fitting.

Now I need to do the same with the rest of my set. I had the Callaway representative for Spain with me during the fitting and he was handing me clubs to try. I was hitting a Callaway 5 wood further than my current 3W and gaining 10-12 yards with newwe irons. OK, so I had a tailwind but I was hitting a 6 iron I tried over 200 yards! Now I can believe some of the yardages I see on the PGA Tour. Who says technology can't help your game?!

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in but I'm gonna do it anyway!

Club Speed: 98 mph

Attack angle: 5.1

Club path: 0.7

Ball speed: 145 mph

Smash factor: 1.45

Spin rate: 2942

Carry: 235 yards

Lenght: 255 yards

Are these good stats with the driver? I use a Ping i15 with a loft of 9.5 and a "stiffer regular" shaft.

EDIT: I'm 17 years old and weigh in at 200 pounds. This is my fifth summer season of golf.

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

Originally Posted by Klutten3

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in but I'm gonna do it anyway!

Club Speed: 98 mph

Attack angle: 5.1

Club path: 0.7

Ball speed: 145 mph

Smash factor: 1.45

Spin rate: 2942

Carry: 235 yards

Lenght: 255 yards

Are these good stats with the driver? I use a Ping i15 with a loft of 9.5 and a "stiffer regular" shaft.

EDIT: I'm 17 years old and weigh in at 200 pounds. This is my fifth summer season of golf.

I suggest starting your own thread so the experts on this on here can answer you better than I could!

• 8 months later...

I was taking a look through my old driver TrackMan numbers the other day and have a question regarding path, face angle and spin axis.

My path was 2.2, face angle 2.6 and spin axis was -4.1. Shouldn't the spin axis be a positive number i.e. a push- fade? This was consistent with all my shots until I hit one with path 3.1, face angle 1.0 and spin axis 2.2. Once again, surely this is a push-draw and the spin axis should be positive.

What am I missing here?

• Administrator

I was taking a look through my old driver TrackMan numbers the other day and have a question regarding path, face angle and spin axis.

My path was 2.2, face angle 2.6 and spin axis was -4.1. Shouldn't the spin axis be a positive number i.e. a push- fade? This was consistent with all my shots until I hit one with path 3.1, face angle 1.0 and spin axis 2.2. Once again, surely this is a push-draw and the spin axis should be positive.

What am I missing here?

That you consistently toed the ball.

Or you wrote down path when it was really HSP/swing direction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!