IGNORED

Funny as Hell at the Tavistock Cup 2011 - any interesting observations!

Old1964
Note: This thread is 4798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was the commentator really painting a PGA Tour professional's upcoming shot in a nothing event with the "amateurs should not try this shot at home" brush of boringness?

I think that, as a general rule, amateurs should not try half the shots at home. Be it wedge play or carrying a 240 yard hazard off the deck. :-P But from the OP, it sounded like the commentator was talking about the actual pro, not amateurs.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

The result was clearly a good one. Was the risk worth the reward? Could an easier, lower, "chasing" shot have yielded a very similar result (maybe 5ft rather than 4ft), while reducing the risk of leaving it 8ft?

its a pretty basic / fundamental concept in most sports / games. does the outcome merit the risk. you see it in sports all the time. soccer players shooting from a terrible angle while another player is wide open in front of the net for a tap in....if the player scores everyone cheers...GREAT PLAY....he scored but in the scenario if you paused and looked at the whole situation, the CORRECT play was to more than likely distribute to the open player who had a significantly higher probability of completing the play.

same in tennis with deciding what kind of spin to play, which side of the court to play to.

same in basketball when a player shoots a 3pter instead of shooting from their proper range.

same in golf when people try and pitch, chip from the fringe instead of putting.

all of these will of course change for each individual and strategies need to be formed. If shot A gets you 1ft from the pin but has a 20% chance of working, while option B gets you 2 1/2 ft with a 70% chance, which should you take. I believe the commentator probably had an understanding of the odds of each shot for that situation and was simply surprised the player took a more difficult route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk18 View Post

Quote:
just because the shot worked doesnt mean it was the right play.

Huh???
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Con View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

Was the commentator really painting a PGA Tour professional's upcoming shot in a nothing event with the "amateurs should not try this shot at home" brush of boringness?

I think that, as a general rule, amateurs should not try half the shots at home. Be it wedge play or carrying a 240 yard hazard off the deck.

But from the OP, it sounded like the commentator was talking about the actual pro, not amateurs.

the commentators try to relate most things back to viewers at home. they show all the slow motion swings to identify points in the swing that are effective (sometimes unique) in an effort to help the player at home work on their understanding and application of the golf swing. i dont know who/what this specific commentator said exactly or when/where it was, but just from my history of watching golf, they tend to try and relay the proper play from given situations

Originally Posted by MackJL06

The result was clearly a good one. Was the risk worth the reward? Could an easier, lower, "chasing" shot have yielded a very similar result (maybe 5ft rather than 4ft), while reducing the risk of leaving it 8ft?

its a pretty basic / fundamental concept in most sports / games. does the outcome merit the risk. you see it in sports all the time. soccer players shooting from a terrible angle while another player is wide open in front of the net for a tap in....if the player scores everyone cheers...GREAT PLAY....he scored but in the scenario if you paused and looked at the whole situation, the CORRECT play was to more than likely distribute to the open player who had a significantly higher probability of completing the play.

same in tennis with deciding what kind of spin to play, which side of the court to play to.

same in basketball when a player shoots a 3pter instead of shooting from their proper range.

same in golf when people try and pitch, chip from the fringe instead of putting.

all of these will of course change for each individual and strategies need to be formed. If shot A gets you 1ft from the pin but has a 20% chance of working, while option B gets you 2 1/2 ft with a 70% chance, which should you take. I believe the commentator probably had an understanding of the odds of each shot for that situation and was simply surprised the player took a more difficult route.

the commentators try to relate most things back to viewers at home. they show all the slow motion swings to identify points in the swing that are effective (sometimes unique) in an effort to help the player at home work on their understanding and application of the golf swing. i dont know who/what this specific commentator said exactly or when/where it was, but just from my history of watching golf, they tend to try and relay the proper play from given situations

Soccer, tennis, basketball, and golf can be extremely boring if only the high percentage shots are attempted. This was a made for TV event. Using a tennis term, some times you just have to try and hit a winner. And it's only low percentage if you lack the skill to do it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Apparently I didnt watch enough to see what you guys are talking about. By the time I got home, I only had time to watch an hour or so from the DVR, but one thing I noticed in both days' coverage was that either Nobilo or Lehrner has a bad nose whistle thing going on. Or they were way to close to their mic.

Was I the only one that noticed that?

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Apparently I didnt watch enough to see what you guys are talking about. By the time I got home, I only had time to watch an hour or so from the DVR, but one thing I noticed in both days' coverage was that either Nobilo or Lehrner has a bad nose whistle thing going on. Or they were way to close to their mic.

No...I think it was Brandel

Constant breathing/whistling sound

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Nobilo sounds like he is always eating something, especially when he starts talking after a while of not talking.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

so if im playing at my home course...par 5 595 yds...drive leaves 300+ to the green...i should hit the driver off the deck. thats the right play. thats the only chance i have of making it in 2. 1/10000000 chance it will work...but its the right play. the correct play is determined before the shot/play is executed...not based on the result.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Soccer, tennis, basketball, and golf can be extremely boring if only the high percentage shots are attempted. This was a made for TV event. Using a tennis term, some times you just have to try and hit a winner. And it's only low percentage if you lack the skill to do it.

Originally Posted by MackJL06

so if im playing at my home course...par 5 595 yds...drive leaves 300+ to the green...i should hit the driver off the deck. thats the right play. thats the only chance i have of making it in 2. 1/10000000 chance it will work...but its the right play. the correct play is determined before the shot/play is executed...not based on the result.

Should YOU make that play? Is that the right play for YOU? Probably not, since you're a relatively unskilled player (like me). My driver can't be hit off the deck (not designed for it) and 300 yards is beyond my  3-wood range. Now, if I had a good lie at my max 3-wood distance, I'd probably go for it unless it was all carry or an island green.

There are a lot of plays that are "the right play" in the hands of a professional (or based on this forum, in the hands of a 27 handicapper with a new Pro V1 and Vokey).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackJL06 View Post

Should YOU make that play? Is that the right play for YOU? Probably not, since you're a relatively unskilled player (like me). My driver can't be hit off the deck (not designed for it) and 300 yards is beyond my 3-wood range. Now, if I had a good lie at my max 3-wood distance, I'd probably go for it unless it was all carry or an island green.

There are a lot of plays that are "the right play" in the hands of a professional (or based on this forum, in the hands of a 27 handicapper with a new Pro V1 and Vokey).

That last comment chased a little laugh out of me. These guys are superhuman when it comes to this game (which is not the game us mortals play). My biggest laughs come when someone comments about how hard an upcoming shot will be. I say to myself you are commenting on the elite and this shot is routine and you know it. I think they make these comments for pure dramatic effect.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!