IGNORED

Master Teeing Off With an Iron Thread

GlobeGuy
Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you do it? I always grab a wooden tee (I typically use ZFs) and get about 3/8s of an inch out of the ground so I can get up under the ball good for a drop and stop.

I ask because of this story. As he was driving me along, we came up to the par-3 17th. I teed up as usual, and the guy in the cart proceeded to tell me how tees weren't required on this box. I said "I know, it just helps me to get some air under the shot". He seemed amazed that I would even consider this.

Hence my question

I will tee it up on a par 3 but I'll use a broken tee that's already on the tee box. A lot of people I see will place their ball on the ground, but not on a tee but why not get a perfect lie when you have a freebie?
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

You know, I think there are two issues here. One is, "Should you use a tee to get a perfect lie, but still have the ball sitting right at ground level?" The other is "Should you use a tee to put the ball up *above* ground level?"

I won't address the first one other than to say it probably can't hurt. But the second one is interesting to me. My first year of golfing I tended to top my irons more often than not, and found that teeing the ball up a bit (about 3/8" as described here) helped guarantee that I wouldn't top it.

However, recently I've started putting the ball right on the grass on the par 3 tee boxes to more closely simulate fairway lies, since I've been focusing more on hitting it solidly than getting good scores. (I figure if I can do the former, the latter will follow). I found that the ball flight changed dramatically. I'm sure this is something most <30 handicappers already realize, but compressing the ball against the ground - as ordinarily happens with iron shots from the fairway - is what gives the ball that nice rising trajectory with lots of backspin.

So while not teeing it up does make it easier to mishit the ball (for a high capper like me anyway), when hit correctly it flies much better than if it's not teed.

I get more length if I don't tee as well. Teed up my PW goes 110, w/out a tee it goes 130. That may be simply because I'm forced to properly hit down on the ball instead of getting away with a scoop, but that's yet another reason to *not* tee it up if you want to improve. My 2 cents anyway.

- Bill

Bill

I always use a tee on a par 3 tee box. My buddy never does, but I don't say anything because we are playing match play.

Play within the rules and take all the advantage you can, why make the game harder.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Always use a tee on par 3's, it's not against the rules so i don't see why not right. I usually just use a broken tee thats on a tee box as well.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

I never used a tee up until recently when I discovered that when I teed it up and gave myself a perfect lie, I started playing Par 3's a heck of a lot better.

Almost all the pros tee it up on Par 3's, why shouldn't I?

I never used a tee up until recently when I discovered that when I teed it up and gave myself a perfect lie, I started playing Par 3's a heck of a lot better.

Almost all the pros make putts, why shouldn't I?

I always tee it up...doesn't really make sense not to.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Whether or not I use a tee really depends upon which club Im hitting with. If the hole is over 200 yards, I will likely use a 3-wood, so then I would tee it up so that 3/4 of the ball is above the clubface. That way, even if I come up a little bit on the shot, I still make decent contact.
However, if Im using a mid or short iron, I will tee the ball very low. That way I can hit down on the ball, compress it and make it spin. That way, when it hits the green it will take 2 hops and stop.
When I first started playing, I use to tee it up really high on all shots, but I found that my iron shots didnt really stop all that well on the green. I started teeing it lower and they started to hold the greens much better.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Whether or not I use a tee really depends upon which club Im hitting with. If the hole is over 200 yards, I will likely use a 3-wood, so then I would tee it up so that 3/4 of the ball is above the clubface. That way, even if I come up a little bit on the shot, I still make decent contact.

Yep, same here.

I never tee my irons high at all. I tee them as low as possible so there's hardly any room between the ball and the ground. A long time ago I would tee up my irons high and I'd just end up getting under them and hitting them like 100 yards.

• Administrator
Unless the hole is 115 yards or less, I always tee it up. And there are not many par threes of 115 yards or less...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have always teed up on the shorty's.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

150yd and less not usually.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I never tee up par 3's anymore. All to often when I wanted to get "air" under the shot I hit to much underneath the ball and hit it 30 yards. If your hitting a 7 iron or less you don't need any help with height. Thus I'll never use a tee again.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

yup i tee it up on par 3's i have 2 at my country club one is 155yds and the other is 160yds from the whites and i tee it up low and hit a 7 iron

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

I always use a broken tee. If I can't find one, I break one off. I hate the feel of a full tee, even a short one, on that tee shot. I can actually feel a full tee causing some resistence on the club face. I still hit down on the ball, I don't want to tee it so high as to scoop it and add loft.

Note: This thread is 5004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!