IGNORED

My Swing (kpaulhus)

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

It's amazing how a lower back injury can affect the swing so much. I'm almost standing up and have lost all spine angle compared to my last swing video. Other than that, I can tell I've lost weight lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think your trail leg looks way better in the before picture.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

I think your trail leg looks way better in the before picture.

Ill be hitting again tonight. Havent looked at my swing on video in a few weeks since the weather has been bad. Plus, daylight savings makes this more possible more often. 

17 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Seems like you are instinctively trying to make room to swing your right ride through by lifting up at impact..

Other than that you look ready for Bay Hill with that slim trim sexy a$$ of yours!  :beer:

I almost didnt want to film my swing before the golf trip. The last thing I want is to be thinking mid swing on vacation. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Looks like on the down swing to impact that your hips move forward towards the ball and your head moves back.  I know this as I've seen the same problem in my swing and worked on it with my Evolvr instructor.  I need to continue working on it.

A drill I was given... Put on a ball cap, take golf posture in front of a wall with the brim of the cap touching the wall,  practice a swing motion (without a club) while keeping the brim of the cap touching the wall.  I was able to hang a rope from the eves of my house down to cap level and do a similar drill with my cap touching the rope while swinging a golf club.

A swing thought I was given... Feel as though my head is pushing forward towards the ball on downswing through impact.  For me, it feels like it's pushing forward but it is actually staying more or less still.

All Key # 1 stuff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Looks like on the down swing to impact that your hips move forward towards the ball and your head moves back.  I know this as I've seen the same problem in my swing and worked on it with my Evolvr instructor.  I need to continue working on it.

A drill I was given... Put on a ball cap, take golf posture in front of a wall with the brim of the cap touching the wall,  practice a swing motion (without a club) while keeping the brim of the cap touching the wall.  I was able to hang a rope from the eves of my house down to cap level and do a similar drill with my cap touching the rope while swinging a golf club.

A swing thought I was given... Feel as though my head is pushing forward towards the ball on downswing through impact.  For me, it feels like it's pushing forward but it is actually staying more or less still.

All Key # 1 stuff.

Thanks for that. Watching my videos I took today I do kind of thrust towards the ball instead of turning. I will be getting back on evolvr soon as I thought it was worth every penny, but the wife didn't when we cut the budget this year. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I have been working on lately. After renewing my Evolvr membership I have strengthened my grip a bit with my left hand. I need to turn my hips instead of sliding. These two pics are of me at impact. Soreness in weird muscles in my back tells me something is different. I'm still sliding to the left instead of turning my hips (second pic). It is still my main focus. I think when I get the hip turn going properly my left shoulder will be a bit steeper which should straighten out my right arm. 

hip turn.jpg

sliding not turning.jpg

One interesting thing I was talking to my friends is when I swing with my body and keep my right elbow slightly more tucked instead of lifting my hands, I hit the ball just as high and far, but it just doesn't feel solid. It still goes the same distance, but I don't get the heavy thud feeling I am used to getting on pure iron shots. I think this has to do with some swings I turn better with my hips vs swaying and hitting push draws.

There are days when I wonder how I manged to get to where I am in golf with the way my swing looks on video. 

Kyle Paulhus

• 1 month later...

I wanted to update this thread as I have been using evolvr since the start of 2016. My handicap has dropped 2 strokes this year and my game is overall more solid.

Right now I am working on getting my left wrist flatter throughout the swing (it buckles at the top) and keeping my weight back until almost impact as I have a tendency to slide forward to the ball before turning my hips. 

It's hard for me to do, but I practice 4-5 slow swings before hitting a slot chip, then finally a fully shot. Just trying to reinforce the changes I'm trying to make and SLOW DOWN.

Kyle Paulhus

I know that you are hard at work with your Evolvr instructor and this question may not be a priority piece for you right now, but have you talked about your face at A2? Seems quite open to the arc. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.24.23 PM.png

Feel free to ignore my comment, but just something I noticed.

Michael

59 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I know that you are hard at work with your Evolvr instructor and this question may not be a priority piece for you right now, but have you talked about your face at A2? Seems quite open to the arc. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.24.23 PM.png

Feel free to ignore my comment, but just something I noticed.

Yeah that's probably why he is having me straighten out my left wrist. I keep it bent and it stays way open. I do have a problem hooking the ball, so maybe that's why he hasn't mentioned it.

edit** my evolvr coach is actually working on this with me now. He doesn't refer to the positions like the 5SK so instead of saying A2 he says flat left wrist. He said at the top of my swing the club face is way too open and should be a bit more closed. 

I think ink this is a result of taking lessons last year and another pro saying my club face should be parallel to the target in all points of the swing. Which is why I have such a bent wrist and am creating too much lag late in my down swing. image.pngimage.png

Kyle Paulhus

Yeah, being square at A2 is not written in stone. 2000 Tiger was pretty open at A2, but he is much more closed than you at A4. You are much more open at A4

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.57.42 PM.png

Anyways, keep up the good work. 

Michael

• 2 months later...

I wanted to update my swing thread as I have evolvr as well. My coach and I have been working on turning instead of swaying. I was making some great turns a month ago but have regressed a bit since I have not practiced. The main drill I do is loading on my right side, then jumping up to the left doing a 180 landing in the same spot. This helped my transition from down swing into impact and got all my weight forward/on my left side for the follow through.

Edit** I need to put these vids on YouTube so they load properly. 

Kyle Paulhus

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as the game is slipping again. My swing has changed a bit in the last 6 months and Im trying to get my fundamentals back in shape. Just looking at these swings my left arm is very bent at impact. Its become a handsy timing kind of swing which is why my big miss right now is a nasty toe hook. Cant really make a GIR or birdies when Im constantly reloading off the tee. I look like I'm jumping into the ball and sliding again instead of turning my hips. 

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

Are you back on evovlr?

I would defer to any instructor or whatever your evovlr instructor tells you. But one thing that jumps out at me is that you don't seem to be turning your hips much in the backswing. I feel like that would help you be able to shallow out the downswing better, which should help with the contact.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 11/17/2017 at 12:46 PM, DeadMan said:

Are you back on evovlr?

I would defer to any instructor or whatever your evovlr instructor tells you. But one thing that jumps out at me is that you don't seem to be turning your hips much in the backswing. I feel like that would help you be able to shallow out the downswing better, which should help with the contact.

Yes, waiting for my return video right now on evolvr. I can see how the hip turn in the backswing would help shallow me out. I am steep in the back swing and then feel like I drop the club into the slot in th downswing. Problem is I’m handsy and that clubface can come in really closed for the hooks 

Kyle Paulhus

The feedback I received was I am using my arms too much and not turning my shoulders. Basically at A2 or when the club is parallel to the ground I end up just lifting my arms and getting very steep. Hard to get the club back in plane and hit a solid shot.

Working on a drill where I use the big muscles to turn my shoulders then tilt forwards to address to simulate the proper swing path. That would explain how I get stuck at impact because I'm coming in too steep and basically flip hook the ball.

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I am bringing this back to life as I had a golf life-changing past couple of days with @iacas here in Tampa. Very, very thankful that Erik was able to come down and work with me on some of the weaker aspects of my game. We worked on flop shots since my courses greens are pretty firm and getting the ball high so it stops quick was key. A little intro to Aimpoint even though I need to work more with my level and identifying what the % slope is. It really fine tunes my green reading, which already was above average (IMO) haha. The main killer in my scores is not being great off the tee, specifically with the driver. I can hit 9-10 greens a round no problem, and shoot 83. It's sickening TBH. 

After some initial video, we noticed Im not turning in the backswing, which promotes my arms raising and right elbow flying. I have an "athletic" move where I come in really steep and then my hands try to lay off and save the shot which results in a massive pull hook. Left on my course is dead. We worked on turning as far as possible, getting to the point where my arms raise, then laying off the wrists kind of like pouring a bucket of water behind me, instead of on top of my head. Then the last move is hitting up on the tee so my ball flight would be a bit higher. I was smothering the ball with an aim way right and fight a hook back into play move. 

Here is the video of me working on this and what I plan to do until this move feels natural as I slowly progress to speed up my swing to "normal" speed. I can hit it a mile and would really like to use that to my advantage in the fairway or just barely into the rough. 

Edited by kpaulhus
  • Like 2

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator

AimPoint you know. Just do that one skill. That’s it.

The rotation is important too, and will make the other stuff easier. You’ll never really be the type to play on-plane. You’ll always be a bit across. It just can’t be a ton, because of what’s required after that.

I’ll send some more videos soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, DeadMan said:

But one thing that jumps out at me is that you don't seem to be turning your hips much in the backswing. I feel like that would help you be able to shallow out the downswing better, which should help with the contact.

:whistle::whistle::whistle::-P

But seriously, that looks like some solid work you're putting in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!