IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Post Aimpoint Express 1 and 2 classes - Such a great help in lining up putts.  As said earlier, it really helps!  I don't quite get the "reading the slope with my feet" thing yet, but my Aimpont teacher _ Sean Lanyi at Black Gold in Orange County Ca offered a class audit, so I'm going back for a complimentary session Saturday.  Looking forward to it!!

You don't get how to do it, or you just can't tell the difference between slopes?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You don't get how to do it, or you just can't tell the difference between slopes?

I can't feel the difference between say a 2 and a 3 with my feet .... I still tend to read the slope with my eyes

Just trying to find my way around

Mitch

I can't feel the difference between say a 2 and a 3 with my feet .... I still tend to read the slope with my eyes

Hmmm, interesting. If I had to break down what I learned in my Aimpoint class by value, I'd say that learning how to read the putt with my feet, and more importantly, why its superior to reading with my eyes, is about 90% of the value of the entire class. Everything else (judging stimp, reading the charts, etc) is all lumped in together in the other 10%.

the inportant thing is you know how to do it, I think with practice it will become natural..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

the inportant thing is you know how to do it, I think with practice it will become natural..

Agree. It continues to improve with practice.

[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/500_100#post_1136101"] the inportant thing is you know how to do it, I think with practice it will become natural..[/quote] You can also buy a level to help you get a better sense of what the different slopes feel like.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

You can also buy a level to help you get a better sense of what the different slopes feel like.

I got the one from Home Depot that everyone suggested ... using it trying to teach myself the "feel"

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

As you get better with reading the slope with your feet, you will notice all the optical illusions designers put into the greens to trick your eyes.  Your feet will say it breaks left, your eyes right.  It will break left.

The illusions are created but shaping the green to appear to break one way or another.  They also use slopes off the green in the rough to make it look like the general slope is one way, but the pin location is the opposite.  Diabolical!  But gravity never lies!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I got the one from Home Depot that everyone suggested ... using it trying to teach myself the "feel"

How is it working out for you so far?

Christian

You can also buy a level to help you get a better sense of what the different slopes feel like.

I did buy a level and I think that with enough practice, I will get the hang of it.  Wishing I was retired so I could commit the amount of time I want to this.  How long did it take you guys?

Mitch

I did buy a level and I think that with enough practice, I will get the hang of it.  Wishing I was retired so I could commit the amount of time I want to this.  How long did it take you guys?

Well, I'm not retired yet but I'm hoping the length of time it takes me to retire, starting from when I was born, will be 60 years.

:-D

Christian

How is it working out for you so far?

Very well, I have a putting green in my backyard with two levels. I have not researched apps for my phone, but there has to be a couple.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

As you get better with reading the slope with your feet, you will notice all the optical illusions designers put into the greens to trick your eyes.  Your feet will say it breaks left, your eyes right.  It will break left.

The illusions are created but shaping the green to appear to break one way or another.  They also use slopes off the green in the rough to make it look like the general slope is one way, but the pin location is the opposite.  Diabolical!  But gravity never lies!

I hope this is the case.  My home course has many greens with optical illusions.   Golfer will read breaks the wrong way all too often.

I just took the lesson and have strong doubts about accurately reading slopes with my feet.    I average 31 putts per round now so something is working for me.   I don't want to apply Aimpoint method half correctly and see my putting stat become worse.   I will have to practice and verify that the method works before going live with it.   The only way it will for me NOW is if I chart my home course greens and go with the Aimpoint method.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well, I'm not retired yet but I'm hoping the length of time it takes me to retire, starting from when I was born, will be 60 years.

Haha, we can dream!  I'm past that 6th decade and not quite retired ..... yet.

Mitch

That's what I want to know, too.   I will be buying a digital level and start charting my home course greens.   Geesh, things I will do in the name of golf ....

( I ... will ... not ... work ... until ... I ... die.  Working to retire soon, very soon, barring a total market collapse. )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Haha, we can dream!  I'm past that 6th decade and not quite retired ..... yet.

To answer your actual question, though, I would say I felt pretty confident in after working on it four or five times.  Each day is different and how good or bad I putt fluctuates on if I'm able to start on the correct line and get the proper speed, but I'm really confident in my green reading and have definitely impressed people I've been paired with on some of the putts I've made or how close they've come to falling.

Christian

To answer your actual question, though, I would say I felt pretty confident in after working on it four or five times.  Each day is different and how good or bad I putt fluctuates on if I'm able to start on the correct line and get the proper speed, but I'm really confident in my green reading and have definitely impressed people I've been paired with on some of the putts I've made or how close they've come to falling.

Good to know!  My Aimpoint instructor said he has some new techniques for the "feel" part, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he adds to the equation.

Mitch

( I ... will ... not ... work ... until ... I ... die.  Working to retire soon, very soon, barring a total market collapse. )

Knock on wood my friend, knock on wood!

Mitch