IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

OK, so there is absolutely nothing in the AimPoint training to help with aerated, sanded greens!  I played a course in RI two days ago.  They had aerated and sanded the greens.  The speed was about an 8 as judged by the break.  BUT, as the ball slowed down, it bounced around like a Pin Ball!  I shot an 80, my lowest of the year, but could have broken the magical barrier with just one of those 10 footers going in.  One did a 45 degree bounce about two inches from the cup!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit and hope.

The courses down here start aerating in mid-September. Can't say I'm looking forward to it as we've had buckets of rain this winter and the greens are puuuuuure right now, bro.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

No i don't think Aim Point can help with random occurances, your probably just as luck as a blindfolded monkey trying to get a bullseye.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Aimpoint does not do random.

I have been using it for a couple of months and picked up some strokes.  For me to three putt something severe has to be going on.

More 1 putts then I have ever had in my life.  It build confidence which build success.  I think it is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

OK, so there is absolutely nothing in the AimPoint training to help with aerated, sanded greens!  I played a course in RI two days ago.  They had aerated and sanded the greens.  The speed was about an 8 as judged by the break.  BUT, as the ball slowed down, it bounced around like a Pin Ball!  I shot an 80, my lowest of the year, but could have broken the magical barrier with just one of those 10 footers going in.  One did a 45 degree bounce about two inches from the cup!

A little off topic, but how many of those putts took a favorable bounce and went in the cup when it otherwise wouldn't have. People always forget about that side of it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Quote:
A little off topic, but how many of those putts took a favorable bounce and went in the cup when it otherwise wouldn't have. People always forget about that side of it.

None really that I recall, but you have a valid point.

Had my first 3 putt in a while yesterday at another course.  The 18th at Laurel Lane in RI.  Two tier green with the flag on the lower tier and I was on the higher side at about 60 degrees to the slope on the top tier.  I broke it into a two plane putt and only missed the hole by 2-3 inches but the slope in between tiers was so steep that the ball went 12 feet past the hole.  Missed the return putt.

I think the best thing about the AimPoint technique is the reduction of 3 putts.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I took a aimpoint clinic with TJ Yeaton about a month ago, the only problem is, that the greens at my course are under 8 on the stimpmeter. I can still read the greens but I have to play less then what the charts say.

Originally Posted by Meesh

I took a aimpoint clinic with TJ Yeaton about a month ago, the only problem is, that the greens at my course are under 8 on the stimpmeter. I can still read the greens but I have to play less then what the charts say.

I think you can get charts for slower/faster/greater slopes.  Check out the forum on the aimpoint website.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I think the best thing about the AimPoint technique is the reduction of 3 putts.

I was trying to memorize what 1% putts felt like and finding the zero line on them yesterday evening. Really subtle. It will take some time for me to learn these although I suspect, I will eventually since so many other aimpointers can do it. I'm optimistic, but patient. And willing to listen to tips from you guys on this as you have them.

And can anyone confirm this observation I made yesterday? Putts that are about 2% or so...maybe even 3%...from 5 to 8 foot distances... if the angle is less than 30 degrees but not directly on the zero line... break is reduced significantly to the point where it may be best to just aim at the hole (stimp of 8). Maybe I'm overthinking it but even with the bubble, I over-read the break by about an inch a couple times. I'm thinking the correct answer should just be simple mathematics here, as in, 10 degrees or 15 degrees off the zero line should correspond exactly to the charts in a linear fashion, not exponentially (hopefully that makes sense what I just said).

I'll probably "feel all this out" over the course of the next two seasons, but feel free to share your thoughts.

Constantine

I go with 1% when i don't feel any break.  If i do feel the break, but only slightly, I got with 2%.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

And can anyone confirm this observation I made yesterday? Putts that are about 2% or so...maybe even 3%...from 5 to 8 foot distances... if the angle is less than 30 degrees but not directly on the zero line... break is reduced significantly to the point where it may be best to just aim at the hole (stimp of 8). Maybe I'm overthinking it but even with the bubble, I over-read the break by about an inch a couple times. I'm thinking the correct answer should just be simple mathematics here, as in, 10 degrees or 15 degrees off the zero line should correspond exactly to the charts in a linear fashion, not exponentially (hopefully that makes sense what I just said).

Well, I dont have my chart in front of me, but isn't 30*, 2%, 5 feet only a couple inches of break?  Like 3 maybe?  Maybe less.  (I think its 3 at 9, so it might be less)  And that's from the edge, not the center.  So if you're between the zero line, which is dead center cup ( - 2.12 inches), and a putt that's 3 inches outside the edge, averaging that out gets you to about the edge.

I actually never really thought about it this way.  I would probably figure that if I'm at 15 degrees I should half the 30 degree read, but is probably less since straight isn't 0 inches of break, its -2.12.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

You can also do the quick math in your head for the in between numbers.  Look at how the number progresses from 0 to 30 to 60 to 90.  It is not linear.  If you think you are at 15*, a quick calculation will tell you the break.  Same goes for in between distances.  don't worry about your estimate on the course and go with your first impression.  You may miss, but will be close.

Also, on putts going near 0, the area right around the hole may have a lot of influence.  Example: when their is a small ridge around the cup because the guy who cut the pin pulled it out too quickly.  The ball is going slow near the hole and will be pushed off line easily.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I took up the AP Fundamental last Sat .

Its is an eye opening session and there are so much physics in it . Being an engineer myself , the AP approach is really convincing.

Ater the class , i m able to read the break much better , however I do have some putting tempo and distance control issue  to work on to hole the putts.

I cant wait to play my 1st round this week ...

will defintely put some update on the progress.

Too bad i cant get an Edel Custom Fitting at my area. I just got my putting cut to 33.5" and add 20gs by replacing the weigts at the bottom of my SC.

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

• Administrator

I recommend a one-hour practice session to everyone before they truly "take AimPoint to the course." Here's how it breaks down.

10 Minutes - Find straight. Confirm by rolling a ball or using a bubble level. Just find straight on a bunch of places. Flat slopes, steep slopes, all over. Find straight.

20 Minutes - Estimate slope %. Confirm with a level or bubble level. Just various portions of the green, and of course, to find slope % you have to be good at finding straight.

30 Minutes - Throw a ball down, do a read, stick in an elevated aim line, and hit the putt. If you make it or miss it, diagnose afterwards: did you get the slope % correct? Start the putt on-line with good speed? Etc.

NOW you can take AimPoint to the course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I recommend a one-hour practice session to everyone before they truly "take AimPoint to the course." Here's how it breaks down.

10 Minutes - Find straight. Confirm by rolling a ball or using a bubble level. Just find straight on a bunch of places. Flat slopes, steep slopes, all over. Find straight.

20 Minutes - Estimate slope %. Confirm with a level or bubble level. Just various portions of the green, and of course, to find slope % you have to be good at finding straight.

30 Minutes - Throw a ball down, do a read, stick in an elevated aim line, and hit the putt. If you make it or miss it, diagnose afterwards: did you get the slope % correct? Start the putt on-line with good speed? Etc.

NOW you can take AimPoint to the course.

OK, Erik. I'll do this the next time I'm on the practice green. Thanks for the advice... actually, I'll probably do this every time I'm on the practice green for some time.

And thanks for the advice from boogie and dsc as well.

Constantine

Thanks Erik !

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I went and play my 1st round after the aim point . The green is slower than 8 . I use some of the knowledge I learned from AP , and it works pretty good and putt it very near to the hole . I actually play night golf on the back nine today, and aim point chart really works best since reading green the normal way is kinda difficult using might golfing lighting . What I did just find the zero line , estimate the slope % , check the putting distance and cross check the AP chart and execute the putt . I really putt well . Can't wait to experience this during tmr game. The speed will be 8 to 9 . Will see how
What I Play:

How do you estimate the stimp if the course doesn't measure it at all, and you don't own a stimpmeter?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: