IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He has a Flightscope, seems like a waste not to be using it to optimize his swing.

Maybe he is, Lihu, but I've a nagging suspicion that if there were masses of positive results we'd be seeing screen shots plastered all over his blog by now and yet there's not one. I can't for the life of me see a reason for having the ability to show everyone exactly where his long is, bearing in mind all it'd take would be a 2 second screen shot on his ipad, other than it's not quite where he wants to show it is. Flightscope has a 'combine' the same as Trackman. If you wanted to show where you are you'd do post screen shots of your scores and dispersion. He hasn't so I think it's safe to say he doesn't want people to know. I'm not necessarily blaming the guy, it's not where it needs to be and it's human nature not to want to admit to that. [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqW2XOarZiU[/VIDEO]

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

He has a Flightscope, seems like a waste not to be using it to optimize his swing.

Maybe he is, Lihu, but I've a nagging suspicion that if there were masses of positive results we'd be seeing screen shots plastered all over his blog by now and yet there's not one. I can't for the life of me see a reason for having the ability to show everyone exactly where his long is, bearing in mind all it'd take would be a 2 second screen shot on his ipad, other than it's not quite where he wants to show it is.

Flightscope has a 'combine' the same as Trackman. If you wanted to show where you are you'd do post screen shots of your scores and dispersion. He hasn't so I think it's safe to say he doesn't want people to know. I'm not necessarily blaming the guy, it's not where it needs to be and it's human nature not to want to admit to that.

Cool about flightscope also having "Combine". This is a very good metric for performance.

BTW, the golfer pull-shanked a shot left demonstrating the system at 1:14 and she turned around to see if anyone noticed? I guess the narrator/instructor immediately said something about monitoring his student's "not so good shots" :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Cool about flightscope also having "Combine". This is a very good metric for performance.

BTW, the golfer pull-shanked a shot left demonstrating the system at 1:14 and she turned around to see if anyone noticed? I guess the narrator/instructor immediately said something about monitoring his student's "not so good shots"

Was giving her the benefit of the doubt that she did it deliberately and on cue........ but perhaps you're right :-)

The point is that a combine is a very good metric for performance and yet we're not seeing any. Why? I'm trying to work out how I could measure my performance on my kit against the Trackman combine so I can compare myself to Luke Donald, Justin Rose, other PGA Pros - I want to know. If I was doing The Dan Plan I'd publish it. Even a screen shot of dispersion and ball flight gives an idea (although it can be 'faked' which is why I would always post the data to show no bad shots were deleted just in case anyone was sceptical). Videos, Gamegolf, combines, Flightscope screen shots - they all show what is really going on but those are the things you don't get. The only time you really know what's going on is when competition scores are posted and they haven't been too hot - checked his GHIN today and his two best competition scores are 78 and 80 which doesn't bode particularly well for the other 9 he's been forced to submit (I say "forced" because I'm guessing, like us, if you enter a comp you must submit the card?).

I think the frustration that has lead to some of the resentment in some quatres is far from the 'jealousy' that some reporters have said and more from the fact that the idea of the Dan Plan was that people could follow along with how the guy was doing. But rather than that it's become more and more 'closed' as progress hasn't quite kept up with expectation to the point where the only true measure is how he scores in official competitions which seems to average somewhere close to 9 or 10 over. If you wanted to let people know how you were doing you could but he clearly doesn't. Like I said before, not blaming the guy, just calling it as I see it. A Flightscope for months but not a single screen shot showing how good he is? There simply has to be a reason for that.

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2790#post_1109516"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2772#post_1109451"] He has a Flightscope, seems like a waste not to be using it to optimize his swing.[/QUOTE] Maybe he is, Lihu, but I've a nagging suspicion that if there were masses of positive results we'd be seeing screen shots plastered all over his blog by now and yet there's not one. I can't for the life of me see a reason for having the ability to show everyone exactly where his long is, bearing in mind all it'd take would be a 2 second screen shot on his ipad, other than it's not quite where he wants to show it is. Flightscope has a 'combine' the same as Trackman. If you wanted to show where you are you'd do post screen shots of your scores and dispersion. He hasn't so I think it's safe to say he doesn't want people to know. I'm not necessarily blaming the guy, it's not where it needs to be and it's human nature not to want to admit to that. [/QUOTE] Cool about flightscope also having "Combine". This is a very good metric for performance. BTW, the golfer pull-shanked a shot left demonstrating the system at 1:14 and she turned around to see if anyone noticed? I guess the narrator/instructor immediately said something about monitoring his student's "not so good shots" :-D

How do you pull-shank? Do you mean an OTT shank vs a too in to out shank?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

BTW, the golfer pull-shanked a shot left demonstrating the system at 1:14 and she turned around to see if anyone noticed? I guess the narrator/instructor immediately said something about monitoring his student's "not so good shots"

How do you pull-shank? Do you mean an OTT shank vs a too in to out shank?

I have no idea, I just pulled that term out of a hat. I'm still trying to figure out how she got that ball flight?

Then we find out that there is someone lying on the ground tossing the ball to the left when she hits him in the head. . . :-D

Quote:

The point is that a combine is a very good metric for performance and yet we're not seeing any. Why? I'm trying to work out how I could measure my performance on my kit against the Trackman combine so I can compare myself to Luke Donald, Justin Rose, other PGA Pros - I want to know. If I was doing The Dan Plan I'd publish it. Even a screen shot of dispersion and ball flight gives an idea (although it can be 'faked' which is why I would always post the data to show no bad shots were deleted just in case anyone was sceptical). Videos, Gamegolf, combines, Flightscope screen shots - they all show what is really going on but those are the things you don't get. The only time you really know what's going on is when competition scores are posted and they haven't been too hot - checked his GHIN today and his two best competition scores are 78 and 80 which doesn't bode particularly well for the other 9 he's been forced to submit (I say "forced" because I'm guessing, like us, if you enter a comp you must submit the card?).

I think the frustration that has lead to some of the resentment in some quatres is far from the 'jealousy' that some reporters have said and more from the fact that the idea of the Dan Plan was that people could follow along with how the guy was doing. But rather than that it's become more and more 'closed' as progress hasn't quite kept up with expectation to the point where the only true measure is how he scores in official competitions which seems to average somewhere close to 9 or 10 over. If you wanted to let people know how you were doing you could but he clearly doesn't. Like I said before, not blaming the guy, just calling it as I see it. A Flightscope for months but not a single screen shot showing how good he is? There simply has to be a reason for that.

Either that or he's really really bad with technology, and has no idea how to set it up. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Either that or he's really really bad with technology, and has no idea how to set it up. . .

To take an ipad screen shot to show his results? Push the 'Home' button and 'Off' button at the same time. I think he could probably work it out if he set his mind to it :-)

Pete Iveson

Quote:

To take an ipad screen shot to show his results? Push the 'Home' button and 'Off' button at the same time. I think he could probably work it out if he set his mind to it

That's further along than I gave him credit. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

To take an ipad screen shot to show his results? Push the 'Home' button and 'Off' button at the same time. I think he could probably work it out if he set his mind to it

:-)

The only thing I'd say is that I really don't think he's a bad bloke. I know some think so but I just don't. I think he's struggling a bit and maybe not wanting to make that public (like I said, human nature) but I'm not convinced he's trying to really fool anyone. If I was I wouldn't post high scores when I shot them out on my own. What would be the point?

Currently his scoring average is what it is, he's not hiding it and it would be simple to do if he wanted to. It's actually nigh on identical to the scoring average of a guy I mention in my thread who was on tour (albeit a lower tour than the PGA Tour) 2 years later and won the French Open on the European Tour recently. That guy made rapid improvement from the point at which Dan is now, it's possible for Dan to do the same. Hard but possible. Going back to what I said before he just needs to make some changes in how he's going about it. My handicap was about 18 (but not official) one year, 5.5 the next and my coach has just told me to utterly disregard my handicap today as ours don't correct for current ability like yours and I'm quite a way ahead of my official handicap. Rapid progress can be made but you need to do it in an focused, sensible and targeted way. My scoring average is currently about 3 over and some of the things I've done to drop it to that are so blindingly obvious it couldn't fail to help him if he did something similar.

I still say he could surprise some if he makes some changes in the way he approaches his plan from now on.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

The only thing I'd say is that I really don't think he's a bad bloke. I know some think so but I just don't. I think he's struggling a bit and maybe not wanting to make that public (like I said, human nature) but I'm not convinced he's trying to really fool anyone. If I was I wouldn't post high scores when I shot them out on my own. What would be the point?

Currently his scoring average is what it is, he's not hiding it and it would be simple to do if he wanted to. It's actually nigh on identical to the scoring average of a guy I mention in my thread who was on tour (albeit a lower tour than the PGA Tour) 2 years later and won the French Open on the European Tour recently. That guy made rapid improvement from the point at which Dan is now, it's possible for Dan to do the same. Hard but possible. Going back to what I said before he just needs to make some changes in how he's going about it. My handicap was about 18 (but not official) one year, 5.5 the next and my coach has just told me to utterly disregard my handicap today as ours don't correct for current ability like yours and I'm quite a way ahead of my official handicap. Rapid progress can be made but you need to do it in an focused, sensible and targeted way. My scoring average is currently about 3 over and some of the things I've done to drop it to that are so blindingly obvious it couldn't fail to help him if he did something similar.

I still say he could surprise some if he makes some changes in the way he approaches his plan from now on.

Agreed, he appears to be pretty honest but just a little delusional. I am still impressed that he made it to a mid single digit handicap on his own just tinkering around, but we disagree that he can get "surprisingly" better. By surprising, I mean scratch or even to only a +1 handicap. By only, I mean that there are thousands of golfers who are probably +2 or better.

He is delusional because he is in the wrong location to become a pro golfer. He should be living in Orlando FL or San Diego. He doesn't play daily with scratch golfers, so what reference does he really have? None. He really needs to be in a location and club where there are many scratch or better golfers.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Agreed, he appears to be pretty honest but just a little delusional. I am still impressed that he made it to a mid single digit handicap on his own just tinkering around, but we disagree that he can get "surprisingly" better. By surprising, I mean scratch or even to only a +1 handicap. By only, I mean that there are thousands of golfers who are probably +2 or better. He is delusional because he is in the wrong location to become a pro golfer. He should be living in Orlando FL or San Diego. He doesn't play daily with scratch golfers, so what reference does he really have? None. He really needs to be in a location and club where there are many scratch or better golfers.

He's honest, just not honest to himself.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Agreed, he appears to be pretty honest but just a little delusional. I am still impressed that he made it to a mid single digit handicap on his own just tinkering around, but we disagree that he can get "surprisingly" better. By surprising, I mean scratch or even to only a +1 handicap. By only, I mean that there are thousands of golfers who are probably +2 or better.

He is delusional because he is in the wrong location to become a pro golfer. He should be living in Orlando FL or San Diego. He doesn't play daily with scratch golfers, so what reference does he really have? None. He really needs to be in a location and club where there are many scratch or better golfers.

He's honest, just not honest to himself.

Agreed, but that's just getting back to delusional.

I'm sure he's one of the top golfers in Portland, but that's like saying someone is one of the best surfers in Edmonton or one of the best skiers in Thailand.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Agreed, but that's just getting back to delusional.

I'm sure he's one of the top golfers in Portland, but that's like saying someone is one of the best surfers in Edmonton or one of the best skiers in Thailand.

One of the top golfers in Portland? Seriously? How pathetic do you think the Portland golf scene is? By the end of this he won't even be a top 200 player in Portland.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2790#post_1109669"]   Agreed, but that's just getting back to delusional. I'm sure he's one of the top golfers in Portland, but that's like saying someone is one of the best surfers in Edmonton or one of the best skiers in Thailand. [/QUOTE] One of the top golfers in Portland? Seriously? How pathetic do you think the Portland golf scene is? By the end of this he won't even be a top 200 player in Portland.

Oops, sorry. :-( I thought about this a little bit after writing it. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

He's in one of the best areas in the nation for golf. Seriously, you can play year round. It's only marginal for three months.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

He's in one of the best areas in the nation for golf. Seriously, you can play year round. It's only marginal for three months.

Okay, I get it. Then I'm completely perplexed why he thinks he's so good? Someone from Portland should humble his delusions? ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't really subscribe to location being a factor - how often do you think the Swedes play golf in the winter when growing up? Northern Ireland doesn't exactly have perfect weather all year round and Rory seems to have done OK coming straight from there onto the world stage.

I do get the bit about playing with better players and since practicing with guys at the level I aspire to my game has had a massive up turn. Like I say, in our system the handicap system doesn't close to keep up with an improving player. I'm a 5.1 officially so that's what I've put down in my profile but with a current scoring average of about 3 over par so probably about scratch if I worked it out under your system. The point is playing with guys who are considerably better than scratch (ie currently play on tour) has pushed me to improve, if only so I don't look like an idiot out there. Having the right environment around you to promote improvement (coaches, playing partners, competitions etc) is far more important than where you are globally IMO and these are all things Dan can address.

So by that you mean if he gets a top coach, addresses the problems in his swing, hits the gym with a personalised fitness an conditioning regime, seeks out top level players to partner with on a regular basis....... basically if he changes up the Plan to address all these areas he won't be in the top 200 players in Portland? I disagree that's it's not possible for him to improve to a point where he would be but only time will tell :)

Pete Iveson

Okay, I get it. Then I'm completely perplexed why he thinks he's so good?

Someone from Portland should humble his delusions?

If there are 40 golf courses in the region, to you think he'd be in the top 30 players in ANY of them?

He wouldn't be in the top couple of thousand amateur players in the area. And none of them could make money playing the game.

But......he's going to be better than almost anyone on the Web.com or Asian or European Tours in a couple of years. That's the only way to get on the PGA Tour.

He's a complete fool.

Imagine the conversations at Pebble Beach. Who are you? Right? What are you doing? Oh really? That sure is a plan! How's it going?

Do you think the answer would be anything other than "Pretty good." when he's smooching up to David Duval or Clint Eastwood? Imagine what they must have thought of him. Can you imagine him saying "To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed. I've set myself an impossible goal. The game is a lot harder than I imagined it would be."

Anyone who thinks I'm harsh, please explain to me why he isn't a deluded fool.

Remember. HE is the one who continues to say the goal is PGA Tour. No-one else.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Seriously. The location argument is starting to bother me. It's been sunny and 55 the entire month here. This isn't the Mid West or New England where you can't play 5 months out of the year. It's one of the most mild climates in the country and both Portland and Seattle are consistently voted some of the best golfing cities in America.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!