IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Possibly. . .it's really hard for me to say, because my game is completely the opposite of his. When I get to the point where my short game is reasonable, I might state the same thing as you.

What do you mean by opposite? Are you saying his strengths are your weaknesses and vice versa? I'm with @Phil McGleno in that he really was never a legit 3, though I see him posting a few rounds in the mid to upper 70's you have to realize hardly any of these tracks are much above a 130 slope, I'm gonna say this also that Dan probably rarely ever sees a tight lie around a green being from the Portland area where courses are usually lush also mostly all the courses I have seen videos of him play on have flat greens with bunkers you could putt out of, a 5 or even higher could get hot a few times and easily shoot right around par on tracks like that and drop his index way lower than where he would normally be. Dan's assertion of having a short game like a plus index is absurd because he's not playing any of his short game shots from where a plus index player would put them from say 200 yards or any other challenging approach distance, using stats to determine your short game when your long game is all over the course makes no sense a plus index will undoubtedly have more birdie putts and a good percentage will be from a good distance versus Dan completely missing the green but happens to hit a good chip and do no worse than 2 putt the plus index may 3 putt from 40' Does this mean Dans a better putter than the plus index player? Absolutely not it just shows Dan's long game is inferior but he leaves himself with a short chip on, when you have a high percentage of chips to greens versus 150 yard approaches to greens then it's obvious a 5 or higher index will probably get it closer to the pin than even a plus player from 150 yards and likely have lower putts per round.

I'm saying that I have no idea what it's like to make 29 putts with 12 greens.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Lihu

I'm saying that I have no idea what it's like to make 29 putts with 12 greens.

A 'regulation' round (ie hit every fairway, hit every green then 2 putt) is 36 putts. If you hit 12 greens in regulation and 2 putt them, then up and down every time you miss a green it's 30 putts. I'd be pretty happy with either of those. 12 greens and 29 putts is pretty good by any measure. I must confess I find putting stats the hardest to take at face value from social rounds due mainly to 'gimmees' though.

Here's an example which I'm sure I'm not the first to notice. Just prior to Dan's injury his handicap was rising and it was rising quite quickly. In fact the only thing that stopped it rising to a 6 or maybe 7 was one round of 74 shot in April. This score was inputted via internet (ie not by the club) If you look at the order of scores inputted and marry that up to The Dan Plan 10,000 hours countdown, you'll see it pretty much must have been shot on 8 April in a two ball best ball match. Now two ball best ball matches involve things like gimmees and even balls being picked up if a score can't be bettered. For this reason they can't be used for handicap over here. Can they over there? If not and this is the 74 inputted in April, why is it being used for handicap, let alone putting stats?

Our system is slightly different, only rounds shot in official competitions can be used for handicap and then only stroke play rounds can be used. Maybe your system is different and Dan can use a round where gimmees can be given but if so it kind of makes a mockery of the handicap system as a player can 'shoot' a given score based on the generosity of his opposition. That surely can't be right.

• Upvote 1

Pete Iveson

If you play a best ball scramble, there's no way to enter any score. Interesting observation. I think his long game is degerating, which is a possible reason as to why it was getting worse?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@Lihu you are confusing a best ball match with a scramble. They are two completely different things. @Nosevi yes most clubs in the US allow match play scores be submitted for handicap purposes, where it's a better ball event or a solo match play event. I'm not a big fan of it either. The gimmes, the strategy and the general format all make match play very different from stroke play. My opinion is that matches should not be postable rounds, but others obviously feel differently

@Lihu you are confusing a best ball match with a scramble. They are two completely different things. @Nosevi yes most clubs in the US allow match play scores be submitted for handicap purposes, where it's a better ball event or a solo match play event. I'm not a big fan of it either. The gimmes, the strategy and the general format all make match play very different from stroke play. My opinion is that matches should not be postable rounds, but others obviously feel differently

Good to know, but what's the difference? You play out the hole with your own ball per hole in both cases right?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

And @Nosevi we can enter rounds with gimmes, and we're supposed to enter all rounds including so-called casual rounds for handicap purposes. This can lead to vanity handicapping.

Rounds are not entered by the club but at a computer inside the club by the player. An internet entered score is simply one entered at home or on your cellphone.

So if I want a real handicap, I guess should enter only my competition rounds (weekly league & tournament) in the GHIN.

Enter my practice rounds and weekly league and tournament in Game Golf for my own use now that I have this system. I know this isn't what the handicap system wants, but it eliminates the gimmes and other crap like the lost ball + 2 stroke drops from the scoring system for when it comes to getting a real handicap for tournament play.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

And @Nosevi we can enter rounds with gimmes, and we're supposed to enter all rounds including so-called casual rounds for handicap purposes. This can lead to vanity handicapping.

Rounds are not entered by the club but at a computer inside the club by the player. An internet entered score is simply one entered at home or on your cellphone.

So if I want a real handicap, I guess should enter only my competition rounds (weekly league & tournament) in the GHIN.

Enter my practice rounds and weekly league and tournament in Game Golf for my own use now that I have this system. I know this isn't what the handicap system wants, but it eliminates the gimmes and other crap like the lost ball + 2 stroke drops from the scoring system for when it comes to getting a real handicap for tournament play.

Interesting. Anyway it could possibly go some way to explain really good stats if rounds are included that allow gimmees etc. Maybe guys only enter them if they have no gimmees and no pick-ups etc. I played a pairs matchplay round yesterday and my playing partner had a bit of a nightmare off the tee. On a couple of occasions after I had a good drive away and was wedging into the green, he didn't bother playing a second ball off the tee - he knew I was a par at worst and he'd be a par at best so there was frankly no point.

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3204#post_1154692"]   And @Nosevi we can enter rounds with gimmes, and we're supposed to enter all rounds including so-called casual rounds for handicap purposes. This can lead to vanity handicapping. Rounds are not entered by the club but at a computer inside the club by the player. An internet entered score is simply one entered at home or on your cellphone. So if I want a real handicap, I guess should enter only my competition rounds (weekly league [/QUOTE] Interesting. Anyway it could possibly go some way to explain really good stats if rounds are included that allow gimmees etc. Maybe guys only enter them if they have no gimmees and no pick-ups etc. I played a pairs matchplay round yesterday and my playing partner had a bit of a nightmare off the tee. On a couple of occasions after I had a good drive away and was wedging into the green, he didn't bother playing a second ball off the tee - he knew I was a par at worst and he'd be a par at best so there was frankly no point.

I wouldn't believe that's the case either, but the main thing is to avoid sandbagging. It's not a pride thing at all, this is to protect the field. For example, if someone makes 8 greens and 3 putts 6 of them from 2 foot second putts that's very suspect. So if the ball is even something like 2 feet away, they sometimes force a gimme even though some players can actually miss them with great frequency.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Without sounding too cynical (if that's possible) it just occurred to me that this may be Dan's new plan. His exit/transition plan. Hear me out: So Dan knows he isn't getting better and isn't going to get better. He isn't really trying to get better. But now he can say "I was gonna make it, but I got hurt. I can't play any more at a pro level. But if I hadn't gotten hurt, I could have done it" (play Rocky music) He has to be sure that he doesn't really fully recover from this injury for this gig to work out. And he transitions into Inspiration Guy full time, inspiring others to follow their dreams. Motivational speaking. Reach for the stars! Be like me! Appearing at fundraisers, golf related charities, etc. Raising money full time. A beacon of hope to hackers (and non-golfers) everywhere. You can do this! I did it (or was going to, I got this close! But it's the journey is what's important!) Write an inspiring "follow your dreams" book. All the angst, depression, haters, and then the final triumph through strength and perseverance! Transition into a sports celebrity, not just a golf celebrity. Maybe a golf instruction book "How to go from a complete beginner to a 3 handicap in 3 years" Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's not that calculating (he really hasn't been so far). But I think he's giving up on his "tour dream" and looking to turn this into some sort of peripheral golf celebrity gig. Note all the recent charity stuff, and lack of interest in serious golf stuff. But he's gotta do it quick before the few people who have heard of him completely forget about him. Getting the article in SW magazine was maybe the first step in the new plan. But press like that won't come easily, he better move fast!

That doesn't make much sense as unless he succeeds in his goals he has no value as a speaker, writer, etc. He can't make money if he fails. There's nothing to sell.

The original post said he was doing 6 hours per day, 6 days per week, for 6 years. Did he abandon that part of the "plan" and burn through his hours much faster? Also, it seems like he's been counting his playing time as practice which doesn't seem to be in the spirit if 10000 hours of focused practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlipper

Maybe a golf instruction book "How to go from a complete beginner to a 3 handicap in 3 years"

That doesn't make much sense as unless he succeeds in his goals he has no value as a speaker, writer, etc. He can't make money if he fails. There's nothing to sell.

Might be an interesting read. It certainly would be interesting to see things from his perspective.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Might be an interesting read. It certainly would be interesting to see things from his perspective.

Possibly but not many would buy it. Even if he sold 50,000 copies he won't make anything really.

• Administrator

Possibly but not many would buy it. Even if he sold 50,000 copies he won't make anything really.

That's not really true. Let's say the book costs $5.50 to print. Let's say it costs $2.72 to ship. Let's say he sells it for $19.99. That's over ten bucks a book sold.

He won't sell 50k. He probably wouldn't sell 5k.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's not really true. Let's say the book costs $5.50 to print. Let's say it costs $2.72 to ship. Let's say he sells it for $19.99. That's over ten bucks a book sold. He won't sell 50k. He probably wouldn't sell 5k.

You way overestimate what he could sell it for but regardless made my point. Even making $10/book selling 5000 copies he'd only make 50k. If he self published he won't be able to sell a book anywhere near $20 especially if the experiment fails. Either way it makes him a few thousand at most. If he went to a publisher hed get a buck a copy. My point originally being there's no money in this if he fails therefore no point in him doing this for the money unless he thought he could achieve his goals. Even 50k comes nowhere close to recouping what he would have spent/lost in income over the experiments duration. If he made a pro cut everything changes. Book would sell big, motivation circuit, tv show appearances etc. If it fails he won't earn f-all and I'm sure he knew that going in. Nobody but hard core golf fans are going to pay to read about a failed experiment.

• Administrator

You way overestimate what he could sell it for but regardless made my point. Even making $10/book selling 5000 copies he'd only make 50k. If he self published he won't be able to sell a book anywhere near $20 especially if the experiment fails. Either way it makes him a few thousand at most. If he went to a publisher hed get a buck a copy.

You do realize I've sold thousands of copies of a book that I self-published, right? :-) And we get more than $19 for it… And $50k is a decent income for a year. And you said "even if he sells 50k copies." I can only respond to what you actually type, man, not read your mind! :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You do realize I've sold thousands of copies of a book that I self-published, right? :-)  And we get more than $19 for it… And $50k is a decent income for a year. And you said "even if he sells 50k copies." I can only respond to what you actually type, man, not read your mind! :)

I hear ya, I assume to sell 50k copies that you'd more than likely need a publisher and then he'd get a tiny cut. We're in agreement that he's not going to make any real money, that's the point. What's the name of your book? Is there a kindle edition? Always like to support fellow golfers.

• Administrator
Oh and 50k for a year is decent but his project is years which makes it really poor.

You're still kind of missing the point. If at the end he can take a few months to write a book and makes $50k, that's $50K for a few months of work. He's ALREADY done the other stuff.

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!