IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

Originally Posted by b101

Can't believe it - had the Sky feed on pause overnight and who shows up being interviewed in the middle of the US Open coverage... fastforward time!

Edit: They've got him colour-commentating for a bit on Tiger et al. This is ludicrous.

Maybe he's made it then :)

What time in the coverage was that? Got it recorded so may have a look for interest sake.

Nothing new. Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Nothing new. Link

Fixed the link - Link

Thanks both.

Only thing I noticed was the guy asking what his handicap is right now to which he didn't answer the first time. When asked again he said "I think it's about 3.7, 3.8 ........" It's 5.4 right now, hasn't been three point something for some time. Maybe he genuinely doesn't know what his handicap is right now. Anyone want to believe that? :-)

I'm being harsh, he obviously didn't want to say but I think I'd have possibly told the truth as it's not exactly a hard thing to check.

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks both.

Only thing I noticed was the guy asking what his handicap is right now to which he didn't answer the first time. When asked again he said "I think it's about 3.7, 3.8 ........" It's 5.4 right now, hasn't been three point something for some time. Maybe he genuinely doesn't know what his handicap is right now. Anyone want to believe that?

I'm being harsh, he obviously didn't want to say but I think I'd have possibly told the truth as it's not exactly a hard thing to check.

He's becoming more of a joke with each day that passes.  His lie about his handicap is another indicator that he's given up and now just wants to pretend he's still working towards his goal of reaching the PGA Tour.  I feel bad for those that gave him money and wasted their time helping him.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Nothing new. Link

Fixed the link - Link

Well, technically he is a golf "Professional". He because that when he took up the " career " of working towards becoming a PGA golfer. :-P

He still can't hit a driver BTW. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Doesn't make sense to me either. With the amount of effort he puts in per day, he should be able to pull a full time job.

Start the day at 4:00am and play until 7:30 or something like that, work 8-10 hours, 5:30 go home and eat, (he has no kids or wife), go the the driving range to do his drills for a couple hours or so, 8:00pm do other things like blog, sleep early to wake up at 4:00am the next day. . .

This still gives him 5.5 hours or more per day of playing golf and deliberate practice.

I haven't seen anything to make me believe he's willing to work nearly that hard.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Doesn't make sense to me either. With the amount of effort he puts in per day, he should be able to pull a full time job.

Start the day at 4:00am and play until 7:30 or something like that, work 8-10 hours, 5:30 go home and eat, (he has no kids or wife), go the the driving range to do his drills for a couple hours or so, 8:00pm do other things like blog, sleep early to wake up at 4:00am the next day. . .

This still gives him 5.5 hours or more per day of playing golf and deliberate practice.

I haven't seen anything to make me believe he's willing to work nearly that hard.

He hard ly worked towards his goal. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think I misinterpreted what you meant with this statement.

Quote:

Seems now you were inferring he doesn't work that hard on his game for it being his job, in which case, I agree.

- Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop20 View Post

I think I misinterpreted what you meant with this statement.

Quote:

Seems now you were inferring he doesn't work that hard on his game for it being his job, in which case, I agree.

I was actually stating one and inferring the other. . .There's no reason he shouldn't be able to play and practice as much as he does and hold a full time job at the same time.

Now if that roughly 5.5 hours per day is enough for him to become a PGA Tour player or not is debatable. If you're Bubba Watson, maybe? Anyone else is questionable.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I was actually stating one and inferring the other. . .There's no reason he shouldn't be able to play and practice as much as he does and hold a full time job at the same time.

Now if that roughly 5.5 hours per day is enough for him to become a PGA Tour player or not is debatable. If you're Bubba Watson, maybe? Anyone else is questionable.

I got the sense in talking with him that he spends all day at the course. Practice time might be 5 hours, but that does not include eating lunch, breakfast, dinner. Plus time to talk with friends and play a few holes.

Michael

Quote:

I got the sense in talking with him that he spends all day at the course. Practice time might be 5 hours, but that does not include eating lunch, breakfast, dinner. Plus time to talk with friends and play a few holes.

IMHO, his work ethic is not exactly the strongest for a golfer. In my proposed schedule, I was including about 15 minutes time for breakfast, lunch and dinner (more time so he has time to make dinner/lunch for himself).

I practice and play about 3 hours per day while working full time, take time for my kids and family, fix stuff in my house(s). I sometimes don't eat breakfast and dinner, and when I do it's in between tasks. I sleep around 7 hours a day, and don't really have time to "relax". This is just an attempt to meet my relatively modest lifetime goal to get a solid swing. I like work and I like activities that take work to learn, and tend to think many other golfers think the same way.

If I were 20 years old, and my goal was to play in the PGA assuming I had the talent and was already a +2 to +4 something handicap, I would be practicing at least 10 hours a day working at least part time to pay the bills and or giving lessons to people to make extra cash. Relaxing and talking to friends for any significant amount of time away from golf would the last thing on my mind.

Professionals work more than us at it, and that's what it takes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 hours a day is nothing for what's supposed to be his career.

He doesn't have the talent or the dedication.

- Joel

• Administrator

Well, technically he is a golf "Professional". He because that when he took up the "career" of working towards becoming a PGA golfer.

No he isn't.

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub/amateur-status.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Well, technically he is a golf "Professional". He because that when he took up the "career" of working towards becoming a PGA golfer.

No he isn't.

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub/amateur-status.html

Wow, I can't believe there is a technical meaning to "golf professional". . .good read. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Wow, I can't believe there is a technical meaning to "golf professional". . .good read. . .

This happens fairly often, @Lihu . Of course there are rules. That's how you know if you can compete as an amateur or if you're a professional.

Dan is not a professional golfer or a golf professional.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You don't like the 5 degree slope theory?

Actually I think you may be half-right. I think he may be 'hitting up' with the driver face rotation so it is fairly square (vertically) to the AoA, but leaning toward the target with his upper body...no or little secondary axis tilt / covering the ball so he gets a low shot with little spin.

Kevin

Quote:

You don't like the 5 degree slope theory?

Actually I think you may be half-right. I think he may be 'hitting up' with the driver face rotation so it is fairly square (vertically) to the AoA, but leaning toward the target with his upper body...no or little secondary axis tilt / covering the ball so he gets a low shot with little spin.

Sounds like you might have found the root cause of his back issues. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If I had this kinda of time to dedicate to golf, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time practicing like this. Golf is a package deal, you need it all to be clicking at once. I feel this kind of practicing just breeds bad habits.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

IMHO, his work ethic is not exactly the strongest for a golfer. In my proposed schedule, I was including about 15 minutes time for breakfast, lunch and dinner (more time so he has time to make dinner/lunch for himself).

I practice and play about 3 hours per day while working full time, take time for my kids and family, fix stuff in my house(s). I sometimes don't eat breakfast and dinner, and when I do it's in between tasks. I sleep around 7 hours a day, and don't really have time to "relax". This is just an attempt to meet my relatively modest lifetime goal to get a solid swing. I like work and I like activities that take work to learn, and tend to think many other golfers think the same way.

If I were 20 years old, and my goal was to play in the PGA assuming I had the talent and was already a +2 to +4 something handicap, I would be practicing at least 10 hours a day working at least part time to pay the bills and or giving lessons to people to make extra cash. Relaxing and talking to friends for any significant amount of time away from golf would the last thing on my mind.

Professionals work more than us at it, and that's what it takes.

@Lihu you realize your saying you put in over 1000 hours a year working/playing on your golf game? Basically your within a few hundred hours of Dans current hour calculator.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Thanks both.

Only thing I noticed was the guy asking what his handicap is right now to which he didn't answer the first time. When asked again he said "I think it's about 3.7, 3.8 ........" It's 5.4 right now, hasn't been three point something for some time. Maybe he genuinely doesn't know what his handicap is right now. Anyone want to believe that?

No your not, Dan's being dishonest in order to deceive others about his progress, the difference between a 5.4 and a 2.4 is pretty significant and Dan should know better than to mislead the public about this, what makes this game above others is that we as golfers impose the rules and ethics upon ourselves to insure fair competition exists Dan needs to realize even a little white lie about his current progress is only that a lie.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 2415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!