IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bogeysaurus

Maybe I'm missing something...

You are suggesting it is impressive, commendable,  or inspiring that someone has the "will power" to practice golf 6 hours a day instead of working 8-10 hours a day at a JOB?

Glad someone else thought that was equally funny. lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TJBam

I arranged his youtube videos from oldest to newest but all I could find were self-indulgent videos of Dan talking into the camera and hob-knobbing with top notch PGA instructors.

Yeah, must of his videos aren't actually him swinging.

Originally Posted by Bogeysaurus

Maybe I'm missing something...

You are suggesting it is impressive, commendable,  or inspiring that someone has the "will power" to practice golf 6 hours a day instead of working 8-10 hours a day at a JOB?

You have summed up my thoughts on the Dan Plan entirely.  Lol.

In addition to that, he is a vanity handicapper who only posts low scores when he is playing by himself.  All of his "public" scores (tournaments, rounds w/ interviews or other golfers) he posts anywhere from 85 to 97.  So he claims a "5.5" (which he certainly DOES NOT play to) but I checked his GHIN and he failed to report his tournament scores of 87-97-87.  A real trickster.  He is almost like a crooked stock broker.  Falsifying "profit" (read: improvement) in order to gain more investors (read:money from parents, benefactors, sponsors, and media coverage).

Originally Posted by TJBam

You have summed up my thoughts on the Dan Plan entirely.  Lol.

In addition to that, he is a vanity handicapper who only posts low scores when he is playing by himself.  All of his "public" scores (tournaments, rounds w/ interviews or other golfers) he posts anywhere from 85 to 97.  So he claims a "5.5" (which he certainly DOES NOT play to) but I checked his GHIN and he failed to report his tournament scores of 87-97-87.  A real trickster.  He is almost like a crooked stock broker.  Falsifying "profit" (read: improvement) in order to gain more investors (read:money from parents, benefactors, sponsors, and media coverage).

Man you really have a big chip on your shoulder! I don't know why you are hating on him so much. People are free to do as they choose. If you don't like what he is doing/who he is then don't read his site.

I do agree that maybe he is a bit delusional but is he hurting anyone? I'd be surprised if he can shoot par in tournament conditions in 3 years time. But who knows, 3 years is a long time to get better. I have been where he is at the moment. Just started lessons with someone who has a completely new view on his swing. I think it is interesting and I enjoy reading his posts mainly cause it gives me something to do when I am bored at work

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by k14

Man you really have a big chip on your shoulder! I don't know why you are hating on him so much. People are free to do as they choose. If you don't like what he is doing/who he is then don't read his site.

I do agree that maybe he is a bit delusional but is he hurting anyone? I'd be surprised if he can shoot par in tournament conditions in 3 years time. But who knows, 3 years is a long time to get better. I have been where he is at the moment. Just started lessons with someone who has a completely new view on his swing. I think it is interesting and I enjoy reading his posts mainly cause it gives me something to do when I am bored at work

Because Dan is a 15 marker, not a 5 or 6 marker. He's very selective when it comes to posting scores.

Just because he isn't "hurting anyone" doesn't make him immune from criticism. He's a phony.

His scores are BS and the "tournament" scores reflect this.

I am amazed at how many people here claim to be single digit handicappers but then say that in "tournaments" their scors blow out.

As I've said before, for many DIY handicappers, add 10. Minimum.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Because Dan is a 15 marker, not a 5 or 6 marker. He's very selective when it comes to posting scores.

Just because he isn't "hurting anyone" doesn't make him immune from criticism. He's a phony.

I am amazed at how many people here claim to be single digit handicappers but then say that in "tournaments" their scors blow out.

Yep. And you could argue that he IS hurting people, as he's taking in donations from random people based on false pretenses...

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

Yep. And you could argue that he IS hurting people, as he's taking in donations from random people based on false pretenses...

Fraud!

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Ah that's alright... hell our government bails out people and companies like Dan!

Anyway, yeah.. I need to hit the damn lottery and start my own plan. It involves cabana girls, a golf course in my back yard, and beachfront property.

Shorty, 23 rd Jan 2014, Australia is going to the Slope/Handicapping Social rounds US system  >>>>>>>>You will be able to see the DIY Handicappers close up.///////   It will make for some interesting posts/

Originally Posted by thescarecrow

Shorty, 23 rd Jan 2014, Australia is going to the Slope/Handicapping Social rounds US system  >>>>>>>>You will be able to see the DIY Handicappers close up.///////   It will make for some interesting posts/

I thought we were trying to resist this BS of posting scores in non competition rounds. Crazy!

Next it'll be 9 holes scores!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Obviously this isn't right.  However, I think "natural talent" only appears "natural" because it is developed very early in life.  I think it is a true statement that any infant is capable of anything.  I do not believe some infants, absent deformities, "can't" make the tour.  I do believe that some 10 year olds, by that time, have not been exposed to enough hand-eye co-ordination experience to develop it well enough to make the tour, no matter what they do from age 10 to 40 to try to catch up.

I don't believe you are "born with it".  I believe it appears that way based on your enviornment and upbringing.  People think I'm naturally really good with numbers, but my parents made me take chess lessons when i was a very little kid for a while.  I do not think its a coincidence i ended up in a strategic planning finance vocation and people think i have natural talent for it..  If instead of chess lessons i had spent ages 3-8 with a musical instrument in my hands, i think my life would have been very different and people would think i was a "natural" at something else.

Its ridiculous to believe that Tiger Woods just happened to be both born to a parental couple that emphasized athletics, specifically golf from age 2, AND was born with a huge amount of natural talent.  We just think its "natural" because it is developed incredibly early in life.

GolfingDad, what the heck?  You gave this a thumbs up?!?

Originally Posted by k14

Normally I would agree with you (see the "which is worse, vanity capper or sandbagger" thread).  But this is supposed to be an experiment, which, IMO would hold some value if done the right way.  But if he's fudging the results, it amounts to nothing more than an ego stroke.  It's possible he started out with good intentions, and once he realized he had no chance at anything significant he just decided to milk it for all it's worth.  Either way, it looks suspect if he's not posting some bad scores and then accepting donations of any kind to continue this project.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Obviously this isn't right.  However, I think "natural talent" only appears "natural" because it is developed very early in life.  I think it is a true statement that any infant is capable of anything.  I do not believe some infants, absent deformities, "can't" make the tour.  I do believe that some 10 year olds, by that time, have not been exposed to enough hand-eye co-ordination experience to develop it well enough to make the tour, no matter what they do from age 10 to 40 to try to catch up.

I don't believe you are "born with it".  I believe it appears that way based on your enviornment and upbringing.  People think I'm naturally really good with numbers, but my parents made me take chess lessons when i was a very little kid for a while.  I do not think its a coincidence i ended up in a strategic planning finance vocation and people think i have natural talent for it..  If instead of chess lessons i had spent ages 3-8 with a musical instrument in my hands, i think my life would have been very different and people would think i was a "natural" at something else.

Its ridiculous to believe that Tiger Woods just happened to be both born to a parental couple that emphasized athletics, specifically golf from age 2, AND was born with a huge amount of natural talent.  We just think its "natural" because it is developed incredibly early in life.

I was "home-schooled" along with my two brothers, and graduated high school with almost no math knowledge. Neither of my brothers can do algebra. I graduated first in my class with a Bachelor's in electrical engineering. Neither of my brothers are athletic, I played Rugby, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Football...etc.,

My point being, you are absolutely wrong. You're born with it. You have to work at it to get to the pro level, but you're absolutely born with it.

• Upvote 2
Ryan M

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Normally I would agree with you (see the "which is worse, vanity capper or sandbagger" thread).  But this is supposed to be an experiment, which, IMO would hold some value if done the right way.  But if he's fudging the results, it amounts to nothing more than an ego stroke.  It's possible he started out with good intentions, and once he realized he had no chance at anything significant he just decided to milk it for all it's worth.  Either way, it looks suspect if he's not posting some bad scores and then accepting donations of any kind to continue this project.

The best example of this kind of experiment is Paper Tiger . The guy moves down to Florida and completely dedicates every day to playing better golf with the intentions of playing Pro. What some of these other social media personalities are doing probably isn't what they claim. I don't know much about this guy and honestly couldn't care less. If people are dumb enough to donate their money to someone posting those kinds of scores in tournaments, so be it. I've witnessed far less intelligent actions so this doesn't surprise me.

Why people are so upset about it, I'm not sure. Clearly he's milking someone for money. Clearly he's not anywhere close to the level needed to play professionally. Time to move on and laugh about it over some beers with the buddies. But I'm sure as hell not going to spend any more time watching his YouTube videos or looking up his Facebook and family. That's just creepy.

There is no substitute for natural talent.  Ask a college football coach.  It is a huge factor and yes - you are born with varying amounts of it.  You can obviously get better at stuff, but your ultimate potential might be better or worse than someone else.  I'd say: You can make a slow guy faster - and you can make a fast guy faster - but you can't make a slow guy fast.  And you def can't make the trained slow guy faster than the trained fast guy - not even if you start younger.

People that reach the elite levels of sport are normally people who were born with great abilities and then worked really hard at their chosen sport.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

There is no substitute for natural talent.  Ask a college football coach.  It is a huge factor and yes - you are born with varying amounts of it.  You can obviously get better at stuff, but your ultimate potential might be better or worse than someone else.  I'd say: You can make a slow guy faster - and you can make a fast guy faster - but you can't make a slow guy fast.  And you def can't make the trained slow guy faster than the trained fast guy - not even if you start younger.

People that reach the elite levels of sport are normally people who were born with great abilities and then worked really hard at their chosen sport.

Exactly. If you're saying that I would be as good as Michael Jordan if I started playing ball when he did and put as much time in, you're freaking nuts. Haha.

Ryan M

I was "home-schooled" along with my two brothers, and graduated high school with almost no math knowledge. Neither of my brothers can do algebra. I graduated first in my class with a Bachelor's in electrical engineering. Neither of my brothers are athletic, I played Rugby, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Football...etc., My point being, you are absolutely wrong. You're born with it. You have to work at it to get to the pro level, but you're absolutely born with it.

Hmmmmmm, what word am I thinking..... ....oh, yeah, I remember..... YES!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I thought we were trying to resist this BS of posting scores in non competition rounds. Crazy!

Next it'll be 9 holes scores!

Sorry, they are doing 9 hole scores.....................

Guys, you're completely wrong. I mean, LeBron James busted his ass at an elite level from day one. Clearly, he was not gifted with any natural, raw, freakish, once-in-a-generation talent/athleticism. I don't get what is so hard about seeing this... He just stands out because he worked harder than anyone else, duh.

Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!