IGNORED

Could Luke Donald Really Be the World's Number One Player?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good point Eric.  World golf rankings are a statistical tool used to fairly determine entries in majors, tournament and tour exemptions, etc.  The media uses it differently as a prestige award and lately, as a "you're better than Tiger" badge.  Does it win any award or money like the FedEx cup?  Do you get a yellow jersey to wear during the year like the Tour de France so everyone in the tournament knows your number one?  No, although that might be cool.

It is a good tool for showing the current performance of a player.  It weighs performance by strength of field and gives more weight to Majors.  Luke Donald is a wonderful golfer with a tremendous short game and has been very consistent lately.  If he gets to number one on his great short game, then he deserves it.  Sure will make Mizuno happy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm all for a guy repping Mizuno to be the #1 player in the world :-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

tiger woods is still the best golfer in the wolrd by far. Let us be honest. Anyone that manages to play bad golf around Augusta national park in the masters and nearly win is in a different world from the rest of us. I am south african and a huge fan of charl but lets be fair him, day ad scott played out of their socks to beat tiger, and tiger left 10 plus shots out on the course easily.

Originally Posted by 01Golfer

tiger woods is still the best golfer in the wolrd by far. Let us be honest. Anyone that manages to play bad golf around Augusta national park in the masters and nearly win is in a different world from the rest of us. I am south african and a huge fan of charl but lets be fair him, day ad scott played out of their socks to beat tiger, and tiger left 10 plus shots out on the course easily.

Good points. Also, Mario Lemieux is still the best hockey player in the world. By far!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't see a problem with the OWGR. I also don't really care much about #1. It's only really relevant when Tiger loses it - a few months ago due to not winning or playing much, and then the time before that when Vijay Singh took it by winning like 27 tournaments in one year. :-)

The OWGR matters a lot more at various other points - top 50 get into majors, for example - and those kinds of things are never talked about. They must be pretty good, then...

Your response about number one touches on the real issue.  Since it affects all these other golfers, and invites to important events if it the ratings system doesn't properly weight performance than that is the relevant issue whether for number one or number 50.  I do think wins and wins in majors should carry extra weight.  Beyond that though with the PGA tour not nearly as dominant as it once was and with the European tour nearing parity, at least in the first 50, and other tours such as the Asian improving it is very difficult to rank performance except when most of the top players are there.  This means the majors plus another 6-10 events which attract strong international fields should have a stronger weight.  I know the current process does measure strength of field, put does it give enough weight to these top events, especially a win in one.  How much bonus for WGC events, the players championship, etc is proper.  There is a balance between making everything but the majors meaningless.  I feel like majors should carry like a twenty percent bonus and maybe 10 for other near major events for winning.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

From the thread progress, it looks like I may have been right about people reaching #1 before winning a major (although it seems Westwood is the only person so far to reach that rank that didn't grab one pretty quickly thereafter).

Originally Posted by allin

Your response about number one touches on the real issue.  Since it affects all these other golfers, and invites to important events if it the ratings system doesn't properly weight performance than that is the relevant issue whether for number one or number 50.  I do think wins and wins in majors should carry extra weight.  Beyond that though with the PGA tour not nearly as dominant as it once was and with the European tour nearing parity, at least in the first 50, and other tours such as the Asian improving it is very difficult to rank performance except when most of the top players are there.  This means the majors plus another 6-10 events which attract strong international fields should have a stronger weight.  I know the current process does measure strength of field, put does it give enough weight to these top events, especially a win in one.  How much bonus for WGC events, the players championship, etc is proper.  There is a balance between making everything but the majors meaningless.  I feel like majors should carry like a twenty percent bonus and maybe 10 for other near major events for winning.

The majors already carry extra weight, as more ranking points are available at them.  The Masters had 100, the two WGCs had 76 and 74, respectively.  The highest other one was the L.A. Open at 62.  Those are pretty big gaps in points available.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by Shindig

From the thread progress, it looks like I may have been right about people reaching #1 before winning a major (although it seems Westwood is the only person so far to reach that rank that didn't grab one pretty quickly thereafter).

The majors already carry extra weight, as more ranking points are available at them.  The Masters had 100, the two WGCs had 76 and 74, respectively.  The highest other one was the L.A. Open at 62.  Those are pretty big gaps in points available.

I know, I was just raising the issue of how much the bonus should be?  I also was pointing out that too big a bump could devalue regular events, tennis for example seems to suffer from this.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

I know, I was just raising the issue of how much the bonus should be?  I also was pointing out that too big a bump could devalue regular events, tennis for example seems to suffer from this.

My apologies;  I see it now on re-read.  I'm sorry if it seemed that I was being adversarial (that wasn't my goal).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think that Luke Donald is absolutly worthy of being the world #1.  While he may not be a long driver, he is an ARTIST with the irons and his putter (Has not had a 3 putt in something like 115 holes).  Go Luke Donald!  I sincerely hope that Westwood doesn't become #1.

A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

Originally Posted by Shindig

Well, Westwood wasn't the first to reach the #1 rankings without a major.  Do you really think Todd Hamilton would have been a more fitting #1 than he?

Starting again every year?  At the end of Tiger's 2007 season, you think he should have lost the #1 ranking, in the midst of one of his most dominating stretches, because he didn't show up at Kapalua?

Yep… You should have to prove yourself every year, period. No gimmies. It would make it more interesting, plus its golf so you never know what could happen and who could show up to play. Every other sport does it, why not the PGA/World Golf rankings??? Im not saying Donald isnt a great player, Im just saying I don't see him as a #1. To be honest nobody has really proved worthy of that spot anyways. There are some great players out there, but without a good win or even a major, how could they possibly be "The Best." I think McElroy is one of the most outstanding players in the world, he just hasn't been able to finish… In my eyes he's a better player than Donald and always has been. Doesn't mean he should be #1.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Yep… You should have to prove yourself every year, period. No gimmies. It would make it more interesting, plus its golf so you never know what could happen and who could show up to play. Every other sport does it, why not the PGA/World Golf rankings??? Im not saying Donald isnt a great player, Im just saying I don't see him as a #1. To be honest nobody has really proved worthy of that spot anyways. There are some great players out there, but without a good win or even a major, how could they possibly be "The Best." I think McElroy is one of the most outstanding players in the world, he just hasn't been able to finish… In my eyes he's a better player than Donald and always has been. Doesn't mean he should be #1.

If the World Rankings were done your way the current top 5 would be:

1. Schwartzel

2. Donald

3. Kaymer

4. Watney

5. Wilson

And Donald would go #1 with a win. He will be #1 with a win using the current system and using your 'start again every year' system.

Donald is a great player, no doubt. However, is a WGC win and 4th place finish at the Masters enough to justify a number 1 ranking? I'm not so sure.

Look at Kaymer's recent record.

No. Date Tournament Winning Score Margin of Victory Runner(s)-up
1 20 Jan 2008 Abu Dhabi Golf Championship -15 (66–65–68–74=273) 4 strokes Sweden Henrik Stenson , England Lee Westwood
2 22 Jun 2008 BMW International Open -15 (68–63–67–75=273) Playoff Denmark Anders Hansen
3 5 Jul 2009 Open de France ALSTOM -13 (62–72–69–68=271) Playoff England Lee Westwood
4 12 Jul 2009 Barclays Scottish Open -15 (69–65–66–69=269) 2 strokes Spain Gonzalo Fernández-Castaño ,
France Raphaël Jacquelin
5 24 Jan 2010 Abu Dhabi Golf Championship -21 (67–67–67–66=267) 1 stroke England Ian Poulter
6 15 Aug 2010 PGA Championship -11 (72–68–67–70=277) Playoff United States Bubba Watson
7 12 Sep 2010 KLM Open -14 (67–67–66–66=266) 4 strokes Sweden Christian Nilsson , Paraguay Fabrizio Zanotti
8 10 Oct 2010 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship -17 (68–69–68–66=271) 3 strokes England Danny Willett
9 23 Jan 2011 Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship -24 (67–65–66–66=264) 8 strokes Northern Ireland Rory McIlroy

9 wins, in 3 years, including a Major. That's absolutely worthy of the number 1 spot, no question.

Lee Westwood was also probably also worthy of the spot, just about. His recent record is far less impressive than Kaymer's however.

Here's Donald's win record.

PGA Tour wins (3)

1 2 Nov 2002 Southern Farm Bureau Classic -15 (66-67-68=201) 1 stroke South Africa Deane Pappas
2 12 Mar 2006 Honda Classic -12 (72-67-68-69=276) 2 strokes Australia Geoff Ogilvy
3 27 Feb 2011 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship 3 and 2 Germany Martin Kaymer

European Tour wins (4)

1 1 Aug 2004 Scandinavian Masters by Carlsberg -16 (69-65-69-69=272) 5 strokes Sweden Peter Hanson
2 5 Sep 2004 Omega European Masters -19 (67-67-65-66=265) 5 strokes Spain Miguel Ángel Jiménez
3 30 May 2010 Madrid Masters -21 (65-67-68-67=267) 1 stroke Wales Rhys Davies

I realise he's had some decent non-winning finishes in the last few years, but many of the top ranked players have. Personally, I don't think he's done enough to justify being number 1, the system seems very flawed to me. Just my opinion though.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Donald as a Number 1 without winning a stroke play event in the USA since 2006 -- apparently, 9 top 10s in 10 events gets that average up...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Donald as a Number 1 without winning a stroke play event in the USA since 2006 -- apparently, 9 top 10s in 10 events gets that average up...

But to get to #1 he must win which makes that point incorrect

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

Donald is a great player, no doubt. However, is a WGC win and 4th place finish at the Masters enough to justify a number 1 ranking? I'm not so sure.

Look at Kaymer's recent record.

No.

Date

Tournament

Winning Score

Margin of Victory

Runner(s)-up

20 Jan 2008

Abu Dhabi Golf Championship

-15 (66–65–68–74=273)

4 strokes

Henrik Stenson, Lee Westwood

22 Jun 2008

BMW International Open

-15 (68–63–67–75=273)

Playoff

Anders Hansen

5 Jul 2009

Open de France ALSTOM

-13 (62–72–69–68=271)

Playoff

Lee Westwood

12 Jul 2009

Barclays Scottish Open

-15 (69–65–66–69=269)

2 strokes

Gonzalo Fernández-Castaño,

Raphaël Jacquelin

24 Jan 2010

Abu Dhabi Golf Championship

-21 (67–67–67–66=267)

1 stroke

Ian Poulter

15 Aug 2010

PGA Championship

-11 (72–68–67–70=277)

Playoff

Bubba Watson

12 Sep 2010

KLM Open

-14 (67–67–66–66=266)

4 strokes

Christian Nilsson, Fabrizio Zanotti

10 Oct 2010

Alfred Dunhill Links Championship

-17 (68–69–68–66=271)

3 strokes

Danny Willett

23 Jan 2011

Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

-24 (67–65–66–66=264)

8 strokes

Rory McIlroy

9 wins, in 3 years, including a Major. That's absolutely worthy of the number 1 spot, no question.

Lee Westwood was also probably also worthy of the spot, just about. His recent record is far less impressive than Kaymer's however.

Here's Donald's win record.

PGA Tour wins (3)

No.

Date

Tournament

Winning Score

Margin of Victory

Runner(s)-up

2 Nov 2002

Southern Farm Bureau Classic

-15 (66-67-68=201)

1 stroke

Deane Pappas

12 Mar 2006

Honda Classic

-12 (72-67-68-69=276)

2 strokes

Geoff Ogilvy

27 Feb 2011

WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship

3 and 2

Martin Kaymer

European Tour wins (4)

No.

Date

Tournament

Winning Score

Margin of Victory

Runner(s)-up

1 Aug 2004

Scandinavian Masters by Carlsberg

-16 (69-65-69-69=272)

5 strokes

Peter Hanson

5 Sep 2004

Omega European Masters

-19 (67-67-65-66=265)

5 strokes

Miguel Ángel Jiménez

30 May 2010

Madrid Masters

-21 (65-67-68-67=267)

1 stroke

Rhys Davies

I realise he's had some decent non-winning finishes in the last few years, but many of the top ranked players have. Personally, I don't think he's done enough to justify being number 1, the system seems very flawed to me. Just my opinion though.

The root of the issue ultimately comes down to a matter of excellence vs. consistency, as it always does in points-oriented scoring systems of merit. Kaymer has won seven times in the last two years, but only 18 top-ten finishes overall; since last year's PGA (which he won), he has a record of three wins, a runner-up, a T9, a T10, seven finishes outside the top ten, and one missed cut. Donald, on the other hand, has only won twice in the last two years, but has finished in the top ten 23 times; since last year's PGA (where he missed the cut) he has a record of one win, two runners-up, two T3s, a T4, a T6, an 8, a T9, a T10, two finishes outside the top ten, and one missed cut.

Certainly, Kaymer is the more outstanding player of the two, but he doesn't put himself into contention as often as Donald does. Whom one views as the better player depends on which quality he values more.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Welp, Donald is going to need a birdie on 18 (or a par to force a playoff) to become the world #1 golfer. If he does neither, Westwood will regain it. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!