IGNORED

Pure Grip Questions

Note: This thread is 4615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1.  Anyone buy the installation kit from Rockbottom Golf? Is this place reputable? It's $50 for 13 grips and the gun, half of the price on the official PG website:

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/pure-grips-midsize-grip-kit.html

2.  How do you determine the core size you need - 0.600 vs 0.580? Does it make that much a difference?

3.  Has anyone ever tried putting on Golf Pride grips without tape and solvent with the Pure Grip Installation tool? Did it work?

4.  When you already have an installation tool and are regripping for the new season, do you just buy 13 Pure Grips? It seems cheaper buying the install kit instead.

I called around NYC - World of Golf, Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy. None of these places carry Pure Grip - why is that?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1: Rockbottom Golf is legit. I'd order there the next time, if I ever need new ones, these grips got crazy durability.

2: They say it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The .580 grips on a .600 shaft will feel a little thinner since they are stretched. If you want it to match your clubs, find the core diameter on your shafts.

3: The installation method can be done with any grips, but other brands don't guarantee the grip will stick. It will probably work for some grips, never tried.

4: Again, you don't need to replace these grips anywhere near as often as other grips. Buy whatever is cheapest if you like, won't hurt to get an extra air gun.

5: They haven't been on the market for too long and probably don't promote their products as much (yet). Don't ask me why. I guarantee you though that the grips are of the best quality you'll ever find in a golf grip. I could not be happier with them.

6: A guy from Pure Grips told me they were in the process of producing Pure Pro Midsize grips. I noticed you were linking to midsize grips, thought I'd give you a heads up. When they hit the market and when they'll be on Rockbottom Golf I don't know, he said they should be right around the corner.

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1.  As stated earlier, RBG is a reputable seller... I've bought from them before and would do so again in the future.

2.  It's actually the opposite of what Zeph said... a .580 grip on a .600 shaft will fill thicker, not thinner.  However, if you buy from RBG, this won't be an issue for you anyways as if I remember correctly, they only have .600 grips anyways.  This should be fine for you as nearly all clubs now have .600 shafts.

3.  I know others have used air compressors to install other types of grips but whether or not solvent and tape was used or if it is necessary, I do not know.

4.  You could always buy the grips from TGW... I saw them on their website a while back priced at $2.98 each... they also had the gun for $12.99 so if you need fewer than 13 for some reason you may want to consider going through them.  As with RBG, they only have the .600 core (not listed, but I called when I was ordering mine).

I've had these grips on my clubs for about a month now and they still look brand new.  The tackiness is good but not over the top like a Winn grip... also they say that they will keep their tackiness and not become hard and slick.  I have the soft wraps (the red ones) and love the way that they feel.  Also, the installation is seriously as easy as they make it out to be; once you have the old grips and tape stripped off you'll have the new ones put on in less than 20 minutes.

If you are looking at a midsize grip you may also consider buying a regular size building them up with tape if you didn't want the wrap style... you should easily be able to put them over 4 layers of tape... just make sure to use regular masking tape and not double sided tape.

EDIT

Here is the link to the grips on TGW:

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/14913/searchWords/pure

It looks as if they are out of the soft wraps as well as the installation gun but they still have the other four styles in stock.

• Upvote 2

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks for the info Zeph and tristanhilton85,

Just a couple of more questions.

1. PG recommends up to 120PSI for an air compressor. Can I get away with something that goes up to 90PSI? Something like this: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/2352143295.html

2. I didn't realize the link was for midsize grips. What are those? Thicker? I prefer thinner, so I'll check out TGW or other websites. Any other reputable stores besides RB and TGW?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by nevets88

1. PG recommends up to 120PSI for an air compressor. Can I get away with something that goes up to 90PSI? Something like this: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/2352143295.html

PURE Grips go on with about 60. You don't want to use much - if any - more than 60.

Originally Posted by nevets88

2. I didn't realize the link was for midsize grips. What are those? Thicker? I prefer thinner, so I'll check out TGW or other websites. Any other reputable stores besides RB and TGW?

Midsize is larger than "standard" or "regular" sized grips. Here's our PURE grips review in case anyone needs their memory refreshed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by nevets88

Thanks for the info Zeph and tristanhilton85,

Just a couple of more questions.

1. PG recommends up to 120PSI for an air compressor. Can I get away with something that goes up to 90PSI? Something like this: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/2352143295.html

Thanks in advance.

That one appears to be just fine... just make sure that you get one that you can regulate the pressure on.

Midsize grips, as iacas said, are larger.  If you prefer a thinner than normal grip you can stretch out the PUREs a bit... when you put them on all you have to do is pull them further down the shaft a little as the air is still blowing.... this will stretch them and make them thinner and once you stop blowing they'll stay that way.

Also, if you are unsure about the particular grip you want from them you should shoot them an email and see if they'll send you out a demo... that's what I did and they sent me one of each grip for free.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Don't get midsize if you don't use midsize grips. If you want the grips thinner than standard you can stretch them a bit, like tristan pointed out. Getting a demo of each grip is a very good idea.

I got a pretty powerful compressor and don't regulate the pressure. I just regulate it by not pushing the handle all the way in on the air gun. It'll probably be easier with limited pressure available so you can give it the full monty, but it's not a requirement in my view.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 3 months later...

Only questions are:

Hows the feel? i hear tackiness isnt rediculous, but enough and consistent for a period of time.

Wear? do they wear well? and hows cleaning process?

considering tacki mac itomics or it2's...but if pure grips do last much longer i will get them. I dont know what a "good" period of time grips last.

sizing? i know i need midsize for sure, but have considered building up the pure pro. i dont want to build them up if its going to be a pain by taking lots of tape, and making the grips inconsistent.

They feel good to me, but I don't know how they will feel for you. Some of the initial tackiness will fade, but I've never har an issue with it. You can hardly see them wear. I've had mine for two seasons now and see no reason to change them. Not even on the 6i, which I've hit thousands of balls with. They come in midsize too. Last time I checked it was not listed on their website, but send them an e-mail if you have any questions.

I have the PURE Pro's and probably won't ever use another grip.  I'm pretty anal about cleaning my stuff after every round, and I just giving the grips a wipe with a damp washcloth is all it takes.  They have stayed tacky, but not overly tacky.  Just right.

Quote:
3.  Has anyone ever tried putting on Golf Pride grips without tape and solvent with the Pure Grip Installation tool? Did it work?

Yes.  I have installed a bunch of different grips from GP, Lamkin, Winn, etc with air and no double sided tape.  The only ones I probably would not use air to install again are the Winn's.  They almost always slipped.  But I have not had a problem with Tour Velvets, Lamkin REL 3GEN, etc.

Also, do what Tristan said, call and ask for some samples.  Wes (one of the founders) lives close to me, he is a great guy to deal with!

Originally Posted by Zeph

They feel good to me, but I don't know how they will feel for you. Some of the initial tackiness will fade, but I've never har an issue with it.

You can hardly see them wear. I've had mine for two seasons now and see no reason to change them. Not even on the 6i, which I've hit thousands of balls with.

They come in midsize too. Last time I checked it was not listed on their website, but send them an e-mail if you have any questions.

Have you actually tried a new pure grip to compare to the pure grips you have now?(of two season)

I noticed they have midsized but i've heard great reviews about the Pure Pro which they don't have in midsize.

I contacted the website and they preferred I use a standard Pure grip (no actual type) and build it up. Just to utilize the "easy replacement" process. IMO may have been a representative trying to highlight the Positive of Pure Grips. Wasn't too thrilled considering I KNOW for a fact I'll need midsize (or something built up to it). But I've only been playing for a year since i started college and have never even tried to replace a grip normally. Not sure on tape techniques for regular grips or pure grips and making sure the grip is aligned right is just a little detail that makes me nervous.

I have not noticed any pure mid reviews or people using them on the forums. Mostly the common Pure Pro and Pure Smooth. So it makes my decision a little more difficult especially when I haven't seen anything at any of the big shops around here (Dick's, local renown sports store, and Golf Etc.)

Have you actually tried a new pure grip to compare to the pure grips you have now?(of two season)

Yes. The 7i grip I experimented with, I took off and replaced with a new one. It feels a bit more tacky, but I don't notice any difference when playing. [quote name="handlez42" url="/t/46146/pure-grip-questions#post_644536"]I noticed they have midsized but i've heard great reviews about the Pure Pro which they don't have in midsize.[/quote] Last time I asked, they got them in midsize too. An ad sheet that followed my last order also had them listed. Here's a part of the mail I recieved at the 29th of April: [quote]You are in luck my friend, we have the midsize PURE Pro in production now. It will be or should on the website. Let me know if you need anything and thank you for supporting us. [/quote] Something might have interferred of course, so you'll have to ask them about it if it's not listed on their website.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

That's why I carry a towel.  Played in the rain this past Sunday afternoon.  Not one problem with them.

Yeah, this.

Any grip is going to be relatively lousy when it's wet. (PUREs work just as well as any with rain gloves if you want to play with wet grips.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!