IGNORED

PlaneFinder Swing Trainer with Hank Haney

Note: This thread is 4548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryemanTX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

$100 for a tiny laser?!?!?!?!111oneone

I have a laser cat toy I got in a pet shop for £3 and a roll of sellotape that will do just as good a job.

$100 indeed...

I'm just saying it's a better alternative, I did not say it was the best one... I'm not buying it. But to address your point, the majority of the cheap laser pointers require you to hold down the button for safety reasons but I'm sure there's a way around that.

Heh. Sellotape! :D

Is that European duct tape?

It's clear tape used for wrapping gifts normally. We have duct tape here too which could also be used, I just happen to notice Sellotape on the shelf, that's all. ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

oh, you mean masking tape!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just Googled it and Sellotape is a brand of clear tape just as Scotch tape is so that's the closest thing.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 2 months later...

I am not a golf  instructor nor claimto be a better  than I am.  I never try and help or suggest tips on the course unless asked.  When asked I don't feel I'm able to properly demonstrate or articulate what I 'think' is at issue let alone the remedy.

Having said that, I'm sold on merits of  Haney's Swing Plane Trainer.  Sold on it despite not owning;  borrowing; or using the 'actual 'physical'' trainer myself, or, for that matter, witnessing anyone else other than the infomercial. So, how can I make this statement?.  Did I build my own?  Yes, but not in my basement, garage, or some other shop nor did anybody construct at my request.. No, my trainer is not made of steel; plastic; wood; or any physical material.  However, for me it is just as effective, if not more so, than Haney's and it didn't cost me a penny!.

You see, after  viewing it demonstrated on his TV infomertial I recognized it as a potentially viable visual aid.  So much so I used synaptic energy to construct my very own  imaginary swing plane trainer.  Once I could visualize the height and lengths of pegs;' spacing between pegs; spacing between the two rows of pegs for shaft to swing travel through; and length of  track I removed myself fromcouch potato comfort to the backyard to test. WOW, was I surprised.  If you can build a trainer as I did and work with it I'm confident you'll be excited and pleased with early results and potential for improvement with each application.

So, before you spend $120 (plus S&H;)  I will teach you how to build your very own swing plane trainer. If  it doesn't work for you you're out nothing and can still go buy the real deal, (and, in my opinion, it is a deal).  On the otherhand, if  it works really well for  you,  as it does for me, you might feel pangs of  guilt receiving such a treasured and useful item at $0 cost.

If  this happens, my suggested remedy is to take $100 and give wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend an unexpected gift or treat;  take what would've been S&H; charges and buy yourself a bucket of balls; then  donate remaining  $20 to me.

He, or she, will probably be so happy and thrilled to receive such a nice, unexpected gesture from you they'll likely  reward your thoughtfulness with a reciprocal bonus.  What type of bonus, or gift?  I have no ideal but do have a feeling the phrase, "lasting 4 hours" is nothing compared to a  smile on your face for a week!!!!  Not only that,  you get a bucket of  golf  balls to boot!  That bucket puts a smile on face of  driving range owner.  If  enough people follow your example he will have to hire help and buy more balls for the range.  Somebody has to make materials for the balls;  research, develope, and make new balls;  and somebody has to ship, stock and sell the balls.People have to buy gas to drive over and purchase the balls. This meanse someone has to.......my God, we're only scratching the surface here!  Haven't even touched on golf equipment, accessories, etc.  Why, this could revitalize the space shuttle programe AND pay down the national debt!  To hell with raising the deficit ceiling, let's put people back to work!

Now that I think about it it occurs to me you just may be the one person to kickstart this economy.  Why, do you realize what that makes you?  I do.  It means you are a leader and a TRUE PATRIOT!!!   Chokes me up realizing I  just brushed against greatness.  I mean, how good is that?  Can life get any better?  I know with each $20 mine will!!

Enough already. Let's get down to business.  The key to successful visualization and imagery in mentally constructing your personal swing plane trainer  starts with an idea followed by a vague, or general picture. Then, (sort of like the old paint by numbers kit), paint in a detail here and there as you practice over time. Print out a picture of the actual trainer and, only occasionaly, reference to refresh your image then paint in another detail. Remember in Star Trek as people materialized as they beamed into their destination?  Well, as the number of details on your image grow your trainer will crystalize as well. It really doesn't take long, but it does require frequent attention.

WhenI tested my mental prototype in the backyard with a SW I immediately recognized the potential.  My swing felt really good.  I now have a trainer I can take anywhere and not have to pay baggage fees or waste a carry on. I can practice anywhere and be the only one who can see it.  No funny stares from stangers or onlookers.  No wry smiles and  goofy or snide comments from friends or other members of  my fplaying foursome.  With each use my personal image gains greater focus and clarity.  I can now almost reach out and touch the pegs. Almost feel which pegs are struck when off plane and make swing corrections.  Trust yourself.  Image it with practice swings.  Use it often. Make necessary adjustments and move on. You can do it!.

Once you create a picture, (doesn't have to be perfect), tweak it with practice. Start with PW chip n runs. As accuracy and feel develope try half  swing pitching with SW. Don't rush yourself getting to the full swing or longer clubs, let alone the driver.  Savor your practice sessions with ptiches and chip n runs. Remain patient and diligent in this  practice and positive results with consistency ilikely will come faster than one might  imagine.

When moving to full swing and longer clubs avoid temptation to improve as if  a crash course. Whatever outcome of each shot remain patient; deliberate, and diligent as  you visualize and tweak your trainer.  Hmmm.  Isn't that how  golf  is supposed to be played, (that is, unless one is a speed golfer).  Don't overswing or reach for power and accuracy as both will develope in short order so long as hands lead 'through'  impact.

Concentrate taking club back with relaxed grip and in easy, smooth fashion between  the "imaginary pegs" in the swing track; with slightest pause at top remain relaxed and initially ease into downswing motion  carefully dropping shaft so it re-enters  back of trainer and between pegs,  (again,  hands must lead into trainer and 'through'  impact),. As you pass through impact zone stay between pegs at front of trainer.  Swinging all the way  through your  trainer on plane and in line between pegs is very important because it helps square club face longer through impact zone.  Also naturally encourages extensioni n follow  through which, in turn, results in making good body turn at end of follow  through ending with club high and left (right haders) and chest facing target.

IDo not force any part of swing; allow  body turn in both backswing and follow through to happen naturally and without force by keeping shaft between pegs and on plane;  allow  natural, flowing acceleration through impact and follow through to occur.  Can NOT overstate importance of  wrists remaining cocked through impact.  This assures hands will lead and prevents hitting at the ball, (early release).  Do these things on plane and, (especially if not a long hitter), you'll likely find untapped power and surprising control.

I'm not one to purchase trainers but for Father's Day 2010 wife gifted Medicus 5 and Medicus Driver. I've always been intrigued with Medicus but could'nt justify cost, (I'm cheap). Found them helpful but also easily manipulated, even when  off plane, which does not make for a good outcpome.  However, once I visualized Haney's Swing Plane Trainer I picked up each Medicus and repeatedly swung fllawlessly  through 'visual'  trainer without unhinging.  Now, don't go out and buy the Medicus for this reason.  But if  you HAVE or can borrow one, do it then work with it with your personal visual swing trainer. Results will reinforce validity of both. This validity will mental seed swing plane nutrients which will feed your confidence. As  confidence grows so to will your consistency. As  you  experience straighter shots from the tee approach shots start finding better lies closer to the green then past experiences.   With the short game already in your hip pocket who cares if you miss the green with your approach.

Here's a little personal history and experience with my trainer.  Two years ago injured both shoulder so unable to play golf without pain.  No fun and 3 days to recover after each round only played a few rounds each year.  Shoulder now much improved but unable to find time to play much so near end of July, 2011 have only gotten in 8-10 rounds. First round this year shot 99  (couldn't keep ball in play off the tee). Told my wife if  that happened again in next 2 rounds I'd quit the game . I was serious. It wasn't the score but, rather, total lack of  accuracy or quality ball striking from tee and long clubs. I was absolutely clueless  from one tee box to the next. Thankfully, next couple rounds were an 87 and 90 and able to staye in play from tee with barely enough accuracy to keep playing.  Felt fine but lacked accuracy and had no power.

After a very little practice  with my visual aid experienced enough good shots to recognize its potential. Each time I implement it's easier to visualize and being rewarded with results more consistently. So much so that with some shortgame work on practice green;  no range time;  and practice swings through visual trainer short game made quantum improvement. Drives not only stayed in play most found the fairway;s short grass. Several long approach shots targeted green successfull y and those that didn't were saved by short game.   Last 3 rounds (week to 10 days between rounds) shot 79 and 79 from men's white tees then an 80 the last round from chanpionship tees. Due to improved short game in last round several SW/PW shots within one putt range. 11 puts on the front with a birdie PW chip in. The  back had 14 putts, (missed 3 putts 3-5 footers) and another PW chip in.

With the little range practice I've had this year find myself hiitting straighter and longer than I did two years ago when I was 60. Back then drives were 250-265.  First few rounds this year felt lucky if   240 and almost resigned to chalk it up to age.  I didn't like that.   Using same equipment, (Mizuno MP 30 irons and Golfsmith's Snake Eye driver with stiff Adila shaft)  now hitting 260 to 275.  This I like.  Other clubs maybe 5 yards longer than 3 years ago.

By large measure I credit my present success and excitement to  Haney's concept fswing plane training. I hope and pray you find similar results and share your discovery, (but not with friends you play for bets or wage!)

Best Wishes; Good Luck; and Joyful Happy Golf!  !!

Holy 15 page essay batman!

1 post and its that? this thread is really kinda funny.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Like you I was curious to so made my own. Very pleased with the results.  Suggest first trying my swing plane trainer based on Haney's valid concept.  It works!  See my post  ( #24 in this section)  and learn how I made mine and apply it in practical way.  Almost immediate, stunning, results in my short game (3 chip ins last 2 rounds (18 holes) with 28 and 25 putts, respectively.  First get real comfortable with short game using trainer in practice AND in your round.  Swing on plane with Driver and longer clubs will develope quicker once you imprint  proper plane around the green.    Now,  Golf4Joy !!!

Never too late !   See and study post  #24.   It's long but and a bit wacky in places.  Enjoy the humor but don't be blown away by simplicity.  Study the instructions offered and save $120 !

Good luck and Golf4Joy !!!

$120 for this?  Seriously?  Yep, they sure are.

How about $0 and get excellent results.

See post # 24  Don't let the goofy parts throw you !.   Enjoy.   Now, go  Golf4Joy !!!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Golf4joy

$120 for this?  Seriously?  Yep, they sure are.

How about $0 and get excellent results.

See post # 24  Don't let the goofy parts throw you !.   Enjoy.   Now, go  Golf4Joy !!!

Okay, dude, that's enough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They are not going to sell 100k of them. The R&D; adds to the cost of the product.  Another way to look at it is that is 1-2 lessons with most pro. I haven't used it so I wouldn't care to guess what is the better value.  I am guessing like most golf training aids it is something that would be a lot better to get used, use for a month, and resell.

Originally Posted by Grndslmhttr3

Looks like about $20-30 worth of PVC pipe.

Seriously, $120 for this?

• 3 months later...

Figured I would share my 2 cents after purchasing the Plane Finder this past weekend.  First off I don't really have a handicap.  I play to roughly a 91 stroke average.  Sometimes in the 80's, sometimes in the low 100's.

After receiving some swing instruction this season I was struggling with how to properly draw the club back.  One lesson said to take it straight back, the other more inside.  So I felt I was always in no mans land and was hoping that the plane finder would put me in the correct backswing position.

Instructions to build were not the best.  Was easier to build just using the picture on the box.  Nonetheless took maybe 10 minutes to build.

I read online where the recommend starting out on the easiest setting with a 7i.

Took 5 swings and not one gate hit.

Switched to a 5i, same results.

Moved it to the Medium setting.  Same thing with both the 7i and 5i.

I actually had to move it to the most difficult setting to finally hit a gate.  Also read where if you can make it down to the hardest setting you probably don't need the device.

I am 5' 4" and I noticed that for my longer clubs (hybrid, driver, etc) I pretty much had to lean the bars over on a severe angle and made hitting the ball feel really awkward.  With the 5 and 7i the bars were more upright and felt more natural.

So what did it teach me about my swing and helping me with my "no man's land"?

I noticed that if I drew the club back straight or slightly inside I never hit a gate either way.  So I guess my takeaway was pretty much on plane no matter how I drew it back.

This did provide me some comfort that I can now draw the club back slightly inside (which was the most comfortable to me).  So for this I thank the plane finder but it wasn't enough for me to keep it.

So with all this being said I broke it down, neatly tucked it back in the box and took it back to Golf Galaxy for a full refund.

I will say this though, if you struggle with an outside in swing, I could see where the plane finder would correct that because you would hit the outside bar on the downswing.

So for somebody who fights a slice (due to the outside/in path), a new person to golf or a +25 handicapper this device would probably benefit that group.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I spent $135 for 3 lessons and started hitting the ball straighter and longer in the 1st lesson.  I also increased my distance with driver and ball flight.

What's the point of these tools if you don't know what's causing all the issues.

I'm confident in my hand eye coordination, but I'm not confident if I don't know what's wrong.  If that toy will talk to me like a Speak and Spell and tell me how to fix things, I'd invest.

Otherwise, I'll keep watching my reruns of Hank and Rush..."Did you see that!!?!?!" *Fist Bump*

I tried one. First swing hit a gate that then flew, wildly spinning, across my yard.

Killed my dog...just sayin'.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 4 months later...

I've been using one.   It is highly recommended by the pro at my local course.  I didn't realize how far off plane I was.  I've been over correcting to keep the ball flying straight.  Getting back on plane is adding 15% more distance to my irons.  It works great.  It's all about muscle memory and that is exactly what this does.  I can tell you it will cost more than $15 to build.  The PVC quarter circles have to be special ordered.  $125 is a bargain for what this will do for your swing and you won't have to spend the three hours mesuring, cutting, and assembling,

Note: This thread is 4548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!