IGNORED

At what point did PHIL become so popular?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 4884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's the most popular and loved golfer right now in my opinion, and argueably has been for years. What brought this on and when? Remember in the early 90s when he used to wear the pink shirts and the popped collars? Seemed like people kinda liked to root against him back then.

For the record, he's also my favorite golfer and I dont really know why. Just fun to root for him.

Originally Posted by Todd Ruggere

He's the most popular and loved golfer right now in my opinion, and argueably has been for years. What brought this on and when? Remember in the early 90s when he used to wear the pink shirts and the popped collars? Seemed like people kinda liked to root against him back then.

For the record, he's also my favorite golfer and I dont really know why. Just fun to root for him.

1. Right now, he's the anti-Tiger. He fist bumps and smiles his way around the golf course, signs autographs before and after, and pays good money when clunks some unsuspecting fan in the left rough.

2. He's the everyman who doesn't know when to back off and play smart and hackers love that about him. They love, for some odd reason, how he can turn a 66 into a 71, like he did today. I guess it makes them feel better about their pitiful games that a guy like him can hack it up just like they do.

3. He's got that aw shucks, perfect family brand and image going right now at a time when some golf fans seem to need that. I don't. I don't care what these guys do off the golf course or how they're viewed by the media or fans. I watch for good golf on great venues. I watch for the drama we sometimes get. I watch for the great shots and the moments when guys become a big deal.

In the end, people love the good guy, which is what Phil appears to be, but I would caution you and everyone else that there have been persistent rumors that off camera and in the locker room that Phil is a much different person.

Once he shed the FIGJAM sort of attitude. I think about when he won his first majors.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it was the first U.S. Open at bethpage when he and Tiger were battling it out.  It seemed to start as a New York thing and just took off from there.

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

In the end, people love the good guy, which is what Phil appears to be, but I would caution you and everyone else that there have been persistent rumors that off camera and in the locker room that Phil is a much different person.

You ruined the Golf Channel discussion boards with the same type of unsubstantiated rumors all in the name of your sycophantic support of Tiger. I see now that you're bringing your special brand of "I think therefore it's true" reporting and fact checking here.

My wife's cousin actually was friends for 4 years with Phil at ASU and has said many times to me that Phil is as genuinely nice as he appears. I'm sure all the charties that Phil and Amy give their time and money to would agree. Just because your idol got exposed for a phony is no reason to lie about the guy the public fancies more now. That crap may fly on the Golf Channel forums but not here were adults are posting.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

You ruined the Golf Channel discussion boards with the same type of unsubstantiated rumors all in the name of your sycophantic support of Tiger. I see now that you're bringing your special brand of "I think therefore it's true" reporting and fact checking here.

My wife's cousin actually was friends for 4 years with Phil at ASU and has said many times to me that Phil is as genuinely nice as he appears. I'm sure all the charties that Phil and Amy give their time and money to would agree. Just because your idol got exposed for a phony is no reason to lie about the guy the public fancies more now. That crap may fly on the Golf Channel forums but not here were adults are posting.

1. I did no such thing at TGCDB. What I TRIED to bring to that discussion board was some sense of sanity and truth. I can't help it that you (whoever you are; I notice you won't admit to your handle there. Why not?) and your brethren so hated Tiger Woods that you couldn't get beyond your hatred of him to have a reasonable discussion about him.

2. The rumors of Phil in the lockeroom aren't new and have persisted for years. I said I don't know it to be true but it's been rumored. He also had his run-in with Vijay when Vijay accused Phil of intentionally spiking up greens at an event and that it came to blows in that lockerroom. Again, whether or not that's true, I don't know, but it was reported at the time by TGC that it happened.

3. Clearly Phil, when he wants something, isn't afraid to speak out. I take you back to the Ping Zing 2 controversy when he played an illegal wedge all because USGA wouldn't approve his new Callaway wedges for play. Instead of handling it behind the scenes in a classy way, he decided to take it public. Fair enough. During one of his first statements, Phil HIMSELF ADMITTED that in his view, the Zing 2 wedges were illegal. HE ADMITTED TO IT!!!  Yet, persisted in playing a club HE believed to be illegal until he got his way.

Point is, Phil isn't perfect. He's just a man; just like Tiger. And like it or not, he'll NEVER, and I mean NEEEEEVVVEERRRRR catch Tiger's record.

And I know that REALLY steams you Phil fans to no end!!!!
LOL

I can only speak on behalf of Canadians when I way Phil was popular here ever since he won on the PGA Tour as an amateur. He's never been unpopular as far as I know. The only people who rooted against him openly were Tiger fanboys.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I can only speak on behalf of Canadians when I way Phil was popular here ever since he won on the PGA Tour as an amateur. He's never been unpopular as far as I know. The only people who rooted against him openly were Tiger fanboys.

Yeah, I heard the bookies in Vegas loved him for years! LOL

1. I did no such thing at TGCDB. What I TRIED to bring to that discussion board was some sense of sanity and truth. I can't help it that you (whoever you are; I notice you won't admit to your handle there. Why not?) and your brethren so hated Tiger Woods that you couldn't get beyond your hatred of him to have a reasonable discussion about him.

2. The rumors of Phil in the lockeroom aren't new and have persisted for years. I said I don't know it to be true but it's been rumored. He also had his run-in with Vijay when Vijay accused Phil of intentionally spiking up greens at an event and that it came to blows in that lockerroom. Again, whether or not that's true, I don't know, but it was reported at the time by TGC that it happened.

3. Clearly Phil, when he wants something, isn't afraid to speak out. I take you back to the Ping Zing 2 controversy when he played an illegal wedge all because USGA wouldn't approve his new Callaway wedges for play. Instead of handling it behind the scenes in a classy way, he decided to take it public. Fair enough. During one of his first statements, Phil HIMSELF ADMITTED that in his view, the Zing 2 wedges were illegal. HE ADMITTED TO IT!!!  Yet, persisted in playing a club HE believed to be illegal until he got his way.

Point is, Phil isn't perfect. He's just a man; just like Tiger. And like it or not, he'll NEVER, and I mean NEEEEEVVVEERRRRR catch Tiger's record.

And I know that REALLY steams you Phil fans to no end!!!!

LOL

Hey dummy, I was Elvisliveson on TGC forum too. I posted all the time but didn't get involved in your Tiger threads because everyone there knew you were a hopeless sycophant who would do or say anything in defense of your idol. You exhausted that forum with your monotonous johhny one note posts and now you're bringing your special single-minedness here, and that's where I take exception as have others even though you just joined. I've seen various other threads here where people are imploring you to stop the nonsense. SO STOP!

• Upvote 1

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Hey dummy, I was Elvisliveson on TGC forum too. I posted all the time but didn't get involved in your Tiger threads because everyone there knew you were a hopeless sycophant who would do or say anything in defense of your idol. You exhausted that forum with your monotonous johhny one note posts and now you're bringing your special single-minedness here, and that's where I take exception as have others even though you just joined. I've seen various other threads here where people are imploring you to stop the nonsense. SO STOP!

Oh, another name-caller. What a man you are. No, Tiger is not my favorite golfer, never has been, never will be. I don't defend him as there's nothing to defend. I just look at his playing record, which is all that concerns me. I'll leave the rest to all of you who take such an interest in all he does and says. I'm sure we'll continue hearing from you guys as soon as he makes his next statement.

1. Right now, he's the anti-Tiger. He fist bumps and smiles his way around the golf course, signs autographs before and after, and pays good money when clunks some unsuspecting fan in the left rough.

2. He's the everyman who doesn't know when to back off and play smart and hackers love that about him. They love, for some odd reason, how he can turn a 66 into a 71, like he did today. I guess it makes them feel better about their pitiful games that a guy like him can hack it up just like they do.

3. He's got that aw shucks, perfect family brand and image going right now at a time when some golf fans seem to need that. I don't. I don't care what these guys do off the golf course or how they're viewed by the media or fans. I watch for good golf on great venues. I watch for the drama we sometimes get. I watch for the great shots and the moments when guys become a big deal.

Funny how almost every post you've made in this and other threads is contrary to that statement.

• Upvote 1

henniebogan1966 - You do seem to make a habit of passing on unsubstantiated rumours, gossip and maybe just plain imaginings and fantasies of a nasty mind. 'Just what I heard' doesn't cut it. Seriously, either put up (evidence) or shut up. If you are of a religious turn of mind, you may be familiar withe the injunction against 'bearing false witness' - that includes spreading gossip and rumour.

He can play entertaining golf, got charisma, a character, is public friendly, one of the best players in the world. Why shouldn't people like him?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Phil just seems to be a genuine nice guy, someone you'd want to hang out with and have as a neighbor.  Tigers demeanor during their heyday was a good contrast for Phil as well.  Tiger took on or was assigned by the media (whichever option you prefer) the role of the villain, which allowed Phil to become the hero.  Phil's just the type of guy you want to root for, the fact that he's a lefty only makes me like him more.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Heck, I didn't like him much years ago. I don't think there was any one moment but over the past five+ years I feel differently. I think he's changed, and I know I've changed, so we end up where we are now.

I don't love him, but he plays exciting golf and is good for the game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Back to the OP question - at what point?  I believe it was when he was the underdog for that period of time when he wore the mantle of 'best ever to not win a major'.  IIRC, that was maybe a 2-3 year span when he was in the hunt at seemingly every major but coming up agonizingly short.  People root for an underdog.  Tiger never was an underdog, he was more of 'the chosen one', so to speak, so Phil was the perfect foil in that one-on-one popularity contest.

And then he broke through and that made the perfect feel-good story.  He's seemingly a nice guy, doesn't throw tantrums while playing.  He isn't curt, pithy, or condescending with his public statements.  And he doesn't project an entitled attitude while trying to veil it in a false sense of humility.  In short, personality wise, he's everything Tiger isn't.....and people love him for that.

Y'know, it's not all that much different than Jack v Arnie (though Arnie was King prior to Jack knocking him off the throne).  Arnie was the guy with the smile, the air of sincerity, and the underdog to root for.  Jack had that cocky arrogance that made a lot people outright hate him....as good as he was.

And notwithstanding, Phil has the ultimate feel-good story with a marriage of fidelity and a wife who is a cancer survivor.  It's hard to root against him.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Originally Posted by Acropo

henniebogan1966 - You do seem to make a habit of passing on unsubstantiated rumours, gossip and maybe just plain imaginings and fantasies of a nasty mind. 'Just what I heard' doesn't cut it. Seriously, either put up (evidence) or shut up. If you are of a religious turn of mind, you may be familiar withe the injunction against 'bearing false witness' - that includes spreading gossip and rumour.

Actually no I don't. Phil was an admitted gambler for years early on in his career. He was known to bet big and often on NFL games but especially on The Super Bowl. Heck, this week, he was bragging about taking money off of Dustin Johnson in a money game (i.e. bet) and he also won some money off Bill Kratzert in a practice round off the grounds of The TPC. So he continues to gamble.

As to his run-in with Vijay Singh, it was well documented by TGC at the time the incident took place. In fact, a complaint had been filed during the course of play and that is where it started and it escalated in the locker room after the round had been completed.

During the wedge controversy, Phil Mickelson did IN FACT state that HE believed the wedges to be illegal. The comment is out there in the public domain and HE made it. HE also made a statement that he didn't understand why the USGA had such an arbitrary way of approving clubs for play whereby according to HIS understanding of their process, that one guy alone made the decision on whether or not clubs were approved for play. Whether or not THAT aspect of his argument was true or not was never proven one way or the other as The USGA made no statement on the matter at the time. Clearly, Phil was unhappy with the situation, and made his own choice to handle it the way he did.

As to his arthritic condition, he made the choice to keep it private as long as he did. On this matter I happen to agree with him for a couple of reasons. First, it's his private, medical information. NO ONE has the RIGHT to know about except he and his Doctor and then family or friends HE chooses to share that information with. WE as fans have NO RIGHT to know about it UNLESS HE chooses to share it with us, which he did. I feel exactly the same way about any person, regardless of profession, including you. It is YOUR PRIVATE information and I have no right to it unless you share it. The second reason is because for fans and Phil revealing it was a no-win situation. Those who dislike him would say it's an excuse for his failures on the golf course. His fans would use it as an excuse for those failures. And believe me when I tell you. When TGCDB was still up and running and he revealed that, the excuses were flying all day, everyday. On that particular site, any criticism of Phil MIckelson was met with swift and frequent personal attacks, which were condoned by those running that site as there was no moderator. Mind you, people can say what they want, but there should come a point where someone steps in and puts a stop to personal attacks. That did not happen there and is in part, I beleive, why that board no longer exists.

In the end, Phil is just a man and isn't perfect. I like the guy personally as I think he represents the game well both on and off the golf course. But it doesn't mean he's perfect or that he's always right.

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one that remembers henniebogan from TGC discussion boards..  YES, your Tiger bias there was so bad even my short time I was there before they shut down, I remember you..  You and a couple others.. The group of you bashed anyone that didn't praise Tiger, and attempted to always spin the discussion to "everyone else is wrong"..

Note: This thread is 4884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!