IGNORED

Why do amateur golfers wear brand name logo hats like compensated endorsed pro's?

B of H
Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Point being: i'm not paying $22 to $30 for a hat that is just an advertisement for clubs/balls.  If the hat was free then maybe but paying for it just seems ridiculous and backwards.  they should give out hats for free with clubs/balls you purchase if anything.

Most of the logo caps come from "Imperial", I have ordered logo caps for my company in the past and the about average quality caps are the same you can buy at the golfshops for $25-$30 ...... only cost about $2-$3 including logo plus you will have to pay about $50-100 (only once) for the setting-up of your logo. The only minus (no problem for the big boys) there is a minimum order of about 100 caps.

Maybe an idea for TST to have a member cap for let's say $5 ......

• Upvote 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

Quote:

Maybe an idea for TST to have a member cap for let's say $5 ......

I'd happily wear something like this in the TST colours with TST logo or title across the front.:

140.jpg

Might even be tempted to get MiniBlueDragon stitched across the back in place of the second Titleist logo. ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by shades9323

So your friend thought the guy wanted to look like a pro golfer at a concert?

How is wearing the hat of the redsox or yankees any different that a titleist hat.  You are wearing the same hat as Jeter wears while playing professional baseball, i.e. you looking like a pro.

To look like a pro ball player you need the whole uniform - including the cleats or you look like the manager or bat boy. Maybe the guy at the concert was wearing golf cleats?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Good question and I don't know the answer but read many of the responses.  I wear a big brimmed hat (no logos) most of the time except in the wind.  When I wear "ball cap" it mostly has a USGA logo (they send me one every year), or my Alma Matter's logo or the military branch I served in, because that is what I choose to wear.  I don't take issue with anyone wearing whatever hat they choose for whatever reason they choose.  It's still America so far and the PC police can't dictate head wear.

Butch

I bet you wear Callaway Trousers, Callaway T-shirt, Callaway Glove and a Callaway Cap

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by B of H

I don't see hip hop moguls wearing color coordinated srixon hats that match their hand made custom foot joy saddle shoes for instance.

well now you've jinxed it, just wait, I give it a year before we see just that.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Good question and I don't know the answer but read many of the responses.  I wear a big brimmed hat (no logos) most of the time except in the wind.  When I wear "ball cap" it mostly has a USGA logo (they send me one every year), or my Alma Matter's logo or the military branch I served in, because that is what I choose to wear.  I don't take issue with anyone wearing whatever hat they choose for whatever reason they choose.  It's still America so far and the PC police can't dictate head wear.

It's not a PC police thing it's a question asking why this trend has happened and what leads someone to prefer to promote a brand rather than a golf course or a sports franchise.  Why would you want to wear a hat of a company that you have to pay to use their products in the first place?  Why are pro shop hat racks filled with titleist and nike hats rather than hats with their golf course logo on them?  is this a temporary fad or something that is here to stay?

btw, when I was a kid it was against USGA rules to wear a corporate logo of any kind in amateur events, not anymore.  I remember some kids having to put tape over the logos on their hats.  food for thought.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Originally Posted by Sir Callaway

This thread isn't for real is it?

that doesn't address the question at all.

Bag:

Because Titleist makes the most confortable unstructured hat ever and have patriotic models that I like.  If I was big into a sports team I'd wear that but I like golf alot more than any sports team.  What kind of hat should I wear?  My companies since they pay me (not for golf)?  My home course?  One that says nothing?  I like keeping the sun out of my eyes so I've got to wear a hat.

Brian

Originally Posted by B of H

It's not a PC police thing it's a question asking why this trend has happened and what leads someone to prefer to promote a brand rather than a golf course or a sports franchise.  Why would you want to wear a hat of a company that you have to pay to use their products in the first place?  Why are pro shop hat racks filled with titleist and nike hats rather than hats with their golf course logo on them?  is this a temporary fad or something that is here to stay?

btw, when I was a kid it was against USGA rules to wear a corporate logo of any kind in amateur events, not anymore.  I remember some kids having to put tape over the logos on their hats.  food for thought.

My simple answer is this; golf hats are made for golfing.  If I purchase a hat, it is much more for the functionality and comfort of the hat rather than the logo on it.  I have found some great golf hats over the years and in most cases have NEVER found anything similar that didn't have a logo.  Nike makes some great hats/shirts/shorts/shoes that are comfortable to play in.  Should I buy something that is uncomfortable just so it doesn't have a logo?

Where do you shop for car parts?  At the auto parts store of course.  Where do you shop for a hat to play golf in?  Most likely at the golf store or pro shop.  Golf hats are designed with golfers in mind.  They breathe to keep you cool.  Some evaporate sweat.  They might use a thinner material for comfort, or incorporate some mesh.  On the course logo hats, there is too much expense involved to get a ton of hats with the course logo.  It is easy for a course to buy a box or two of Titleist or Callaway hats that will have a different design every year or two when they place an order of clubs and balls.  It isn't so easy to have someone who will make you a quality hat, with your logo, in limited quanties (so you don't have to buy 100s of the same thing), at a good price.  Even if it was, you have to have different colors and styles so your minimum order just went up even more.  Plus, unless you have a top notch course, no one will want them anyway.

I love sports and have several teams I support so I have plenty of sport team hats.  I have no interest in wearing them on the course.  They just aren't designed to be worn in the sun and heat for 5 hours.  They aren't comfortable for that purpose.  New Era makes some great baseball hats, but no way will I wear a 59/50 wool hat on the golf course.  The 39/30 model comes a little closer to being acceptable, but it is still not quite there.  Plus, I don't want my good team hats messed up with dirt and sweat stains after a round of golf.  That is why I have golf hats.  I don't wear them 'out', so I don't care how they might look.  It's a golf hat, it is supposed to get dirty and sweaty.  It isn't about promoting a brand, it is about being comfortable on the course.

• Upvote 2

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Originally Posted by goblue107501

My simple answer is this; golf hats are made for golfing.  If I purchase a hat, it is much more for the functionality and comfort of the hat rather than the logo on it.  I have found some great golf hats over the years and in most cases have NEVER found anything similar that didn't have a logo.  Nike makes some great hats/shirts/shorts/shoes that are comfortable to play in.  Should I buy something that is uncomfortable just so it doesn't have a logo?

Where do you shop for car parts?  At the auto parts store of course.  Where do you shop for a hat to play golf in?  Most likely at the golf store or pro shop.  Golf hats are designed with golfers in mind.  They breathe to keep you cool.  Some evaporate sweat.  They might use a thinner material for comfort, or incorporate some mesh.  On the course logo hats, there is too much expense involved to get a ton of hats with the course logo.  It is easy for a course to buy a box or two of Titleist or Callaway hats that will have a different design every year or two  when they place an order of clubs and balls.  It isn't so easy to have someone who will make you a quality hat, with your logo, in limited quanties (so you don't have to buy 100s of the same thing), at a good price.  Even if it was, you have to have different colors and styles so your minimum order just went up even more.  Plus, unless you have a top notch course, no one will want them anyway.

I love sports and have several teams I support so I have plenty of sport team hats.  I have no interest in wearing them on the course.  They just aren't designed to be worn in the sun and heat for 5 hours.  They aren't comfortable for that purpose.  New Era makes some great baseball hats, but no way will I wear a 59/50 wool hat on the golf course.  The 39/30 model comes a little closer to being acceptable, but it is still not quite there.  Plus, I don't want my good team hats messed up with dirt and sweat stains after a round of golf.  That is why I have golf hats.  I don't wear them 'out', so I don't care how they might look.  It's a golf hat, it is supposed to get dirty and sweaty.  It isn't about promoting a brand, it is about being comfortable on the course.

I see what you are saying, good points.  So basically about 10 years ago pro shops started stocking more brand logo hats and it has more to do with simplicity?

i'm not saying anyone should buy anything, i'm not sure where that is coming from.  I'm asking why people buy them and wear them and why things have changed..which you kinda answered.

Bag:

When playing I wear a really comfy blue/white Callaway hat that I bought on sale at Wally World for $12 or something like that.  I has the magnetic ball marker on the brim.  It had a tiny defect on the inside that will never be seen or known by anyone but me.  I bought it because I like the way it looked, and the magnetic ball marker thing was a bonus.  Also helpsw that I play a Cally driver.

Otherwise, I wear a cap every day.  It could be the other lightweight Callaway cap that my kids got me for Christmas, or one of my company logo'd hat, or a Summit Racing hat, of one of my many (free) Glock hats, or one of my many Berkshire Hathaway hats.  I don't really care what they say, as long as they aren't 3 feet tall in the front, and otherwise look goofy!

Now, shirts..... for the most part I like a fairly plain polo shirt, on or off the course.  No logos.  The only exception there are my Berkshire Hathaway polo shirts, and my company polo shirts.  I have a bunch of Nike DryFit shirts that just have the swoosh on the sleeve, but that's about all.  I just like a clean, mostly plain polo shirt.  I have a few hot rod related tee shirts (Goodguys, HNRA, etc), but not many.

If I am wearing someones logo, it's not that I want people to think I am associated with them in some way.  I can't even think of anyone who WOULD think that.  I take pride in my "toys", and sometimes display it on my head.

I support companies that build products I like.  I want to keep them in business and keep their R&D; department well funded so I can continue to purchase and enjoy their products.  I don't mind if their logo is on their stuff because it's cheap advertising for them and if it lowers their overall advertising budget then as a customer I win.

• Upvote 2

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Originally Posted by Keep It Simple

I support companies that build products I like.  I want to keep them in business and keep their R&D; department well funded so I can continue to purchase and enjoy their products.  I don't mind if their logo is on their stuff because it's cheap advertising for them and if it lowers their overall advertising budget then as a customer I win.

Excellent point here as well.  I think many people use this reason for things other than golf, they just might not realize it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I seldom wear hats but I just ordered a new Miura hat because of this thread. :-D

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I just read every single posted and had a really good laugh.  This really is a ridiculous thread, but I had to add my $0.02.

The last 2 posts are spot on.  Promoting growth and development is what our country is all about.  If we didn't live in a capitalist market we would not have any of the cool golf items we have today.  Let alone all the other cool things in life.  Remember that a portion of these proceeds go to sponsoring various orgnaizations and sporting events.  Usually these companies will donate time, clubs, money to programs like the first tee.  Golf is a game that gives back to the community at each and every tour stop and that makes me proud to be a golfer.  If my hat displays my liking of the game then so be it.  How many times have you seen pro baseball, football, basketball teams donate millions to charities at each event?  Also, dont forget that your purchase of that Authentic pro baseball, basketball,... piece of gear goes to help pay these ridiculous salaries.

The last point is that someones mother, father, family member depends on that "logo" purchase to put food on the table.

How much are the Jayhawks paying you to list them as your location?

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 4649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!