IGNORED

Why do amateur golfers wear brand name logo hats like compensated endorsed pro's?

B of H
Note: This thread is 4666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're so punk.

Originally Posted by B of H

I don't buy stuff with logos if I don't have to, a few of my shirts have small logos on them.  Maybe it's just me but i'm not a free walking billboard/ advertisement system for so and so club/ball manufacturer.  I'll wear a hat that has a golf course I play at or support or my favorite college team but that is because I have an invested interest in that particular thing.  (or in my case I don't mind letting people know which team i'm behind around here up front)

point being: i'm not paying $22 to $30 for a hat that is just an advertisement for clubs/balls.  If the hat was free then maybe but paying for it just seems ridiculous and backwards.  they should give out hats for free with clubs/balls you purchase if anything.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I don't get it.  You are already paying for your balls and clubs...why promote titleist or whatever as if you are not being paid by them or compensated in some way?

Maybe it's just me but if i'm buying my own clubs/balls etc... then i'm not going to ***** myself out and wear some company logos.  In fact if anyone knows where I can get good quality hats that are blank and similar to the ones they sell with brand logos in pro-shops I might consider having a few made with stuff like 'not for sale' or 'read me' or 'corp golf hats suck' or something.  :)

Are you jealous? Just because you can't afford them isn't a reason to call others down.

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

I know it isn't a PC thing I was being a little flippant since it isn't the most serious subject.  But I really don't know the answer either.  Maybe it is because you forget your hat or show up at the pro shop and it's too windy for a big brimmed hat.  Then your choice is to go without a hat (not me as I don't like to sunburn my scalp) or purchase a hat with the course logo or a golf equipment manufacture's logo.  Not too much else available at the course.  They are good hats however and no reason to not buy one if you like them and need one.

It's not a PC police thing it's a question asking why this trend has happened and what leads someone to prefer to promote a brand rather than a golf course or a sports franchise.  Why would you want to wear a hat of a company that you have to pay to use their products in the first place?  Why are pro shop hat racks filled with titleist and nike hats rather than hats with their golf course logo on them?  is this a temporary fad or something that is here to stay?

btw, when I was a kid it was against USGA rules to wear a corporate logo of any kind in amateur events, not anymore.  I remember some kids having to put tape over the logos on their hats.  food for thought.

Butch

Originally Posted by q7w

Are you jealous? Just because you can't afford them isn't a reason to call others down.

An avid golfer who can't afford a logo golf cap (like the ill fitting POS adjustable black and white stamped ones seen on the wall at any local discount golf shop) is probably just the sort of angry at life person who would start a thread like this. Sure a good hat without a logo is probably even more expensive, but you still make a good point.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

See Ryan Moore. this thread is as pointless as a thread started criticizing someone wearing a pair of jordan's to play basketball. PERSONAL PREFERENCE...why do people care so much about frivolous things as what logo's someone ELSE is wearing on their hats is for a nicer word, ridiculous. this thread is one of those, "maybe i should've thought about it before i posted it" threads. /unsubscribe.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

See Ryan Moore. this thread is as pointless as a thread started criticizing someone wearing a pair of jordan's to play basketball. PERSONAL PREFERENCE...why do people care so much about frivolous things as what logo's someone ELSE is wearing on their hats is for a nicer word, ridiculous. this thread is one of those, "maybe i should've thought about it before i posted it" threads. /unsubscribe.

There are millions of people walking around with a solution in search of a problem.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

An avid golfer who can't afford a logo golf cap....... is probably just the sort of angry at life person who would start a thread like this.

The winning post right here!

Originally Posted by Uber$winG

I understand the Amish are coming out with an exceptionally plain line of golf clothing.

Excellent.  I look good in black and I won't need a logo with such a "signature" style.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

My usual summertime lid is a straw hat, but I do have a Titleist cap because it is the only fitted cap I've ever found to fit my big ugly head.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt (I wear Tilley hats)

Tilley's rock.  Love my LT8 Bucket even if it does get me some odd looks out on the course.

-C

ITB:
905R Proforce V2
SS03 Fujikura Tour Platform
MD 21 Irod
MD 25 Fujikura Tour PlatformKZG Forged Blades 5-PW Rifle 5.5 Vokey SM 54/08, 60/04 Rifle Spinner Kombi 35"

I totally agree with the OP.  My hat has a logo but it's from a golf course . . not an equipment company . .and I actually did get it for free.

To my eye, the guy on the course with all the logo gear is a joke.  Looks like a fool and probably can't play much, either.  Obviously this guy is not able to let his sticks do the talking and needs to look like a pro (or think he does because he usually looks like a middle-aged fat-can).

Reminds me of the idiots I see on their bikes every morning who look like they are racing in the Tour De France.  Really?

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I totally agree with the OP.  My hat has a logo but it's from a golf course . . not an equipment company . .and I actually did get it for free.

To my eye, the guy on the course with all the logo gear is a joke.  Looks like a fool and probably can't play much, either.  Obviously this guy is not able to let his sticks do the talking and needs to look like a pro (or think he does because he usually looks like a middle-aged fat-can).

Reminds me of the idiots I see on their bikes every morning who look like they are racing in the Tour De France.  Really?

Judgemental much?  You can't tell a persons game from what they are wearing. I doubt you are seeing guys on the course looking like a tour pro with 3-4 logos on his shirt and hat. There are no logos on your bag? Nothing on your headcovers? And what are you talking about "let his sticks do the talking", mr 22?

As far as your cyclist comments, you obviously haven't done any bike riding other than a beach cruiser on a MUT.  Ever try to ride 60 miles in a pair of regular shorts and a t-shirt? It isn't any fun. Those clothes are comfortable and serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by q7w

it's just my opinion, I wasn't judging others negatively.  I think some of you are way too touchy on this subject to read rationally perhaps and obviously I struck a nerve with some of you.  The fact of the matter being that essentially the apparel market has somehow influenced golfers to wear things that promote their brand more than at any time in the past which for them is great but in the grand scheme of things it's curious that golfers haven't resisted this influence.  It's like people who only shop and eat at chains without thinking about how they vote with their dollar.

just thinking that this topic has some negative connotation makes me believe that somewhere subconciously some of you realize the issue but don't want to come to grips with it or find a way to rationalize your own preferences.  If that wasn't the case then you would have read it properly.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Originally Posted by shades9323

Judgemental much?  You can't tell a persons game from what they are wearing. I doubt you are seeing guys on the course looking like a tour pro with 3-4 logos on his shirt and hat. There are no logos on your bag? Nothing on your headcovers? And what are you talking about "let his sticks do the talking", mr 22?

As far as your cyclist comments, you obviously haven't done any bike riding other than a beach cruiser on a MUT.  Ever try to ride 60 miles in a pair of regular shorts and a t-shirt? It isn't any fun. Those clothes are comfortable and serve a purpose.

the fact that you react this way to a rational view of the situation condemns your own stance on the issue.   Obviously nobody would pay for a hat with a company logo if there wasn't a reason for them wanting to wear it.  That reason seems to be motivated at least partially by the idea of 'looking like a pro' or 'the best quality hats seem to be company logo hats' or at best 'it was what was available'.

if golfers didn't want to wear certain hats then pro shops wouldn't stock them, pure and simple.

Bag:

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

ever heard of consumer psychology?  marketing trend analysis?  shifting social values?

Bag:

the fact that you react this way to a rational view of the situation condemns your own stance on the issue.   Obviously nobody would pay for a hat with a company logo if there wasn't a reason for them wanting to wear it.  That reason seems to be motivated at least partially by the idea of 'looking like a pro' or 'the best quality hats seem to be company logo hats' or at best 'it was what was available'.

if golfers didn't want to wear certain hats then pro shops wouldn't stock them, pure and simple.

While that's true, I don't think the reasons are as "deep" as you seem to think. For me it's "that's the most comfortable thing they had at the store," or "all they had at the store was logo hats," "it was the cheapest hat that I liked."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the type of comments in this thread have a direct correlation to handicap level apparently.  almost every single person that misread or misunderstood the point and got defensive or upset about it had a handicap over 10 and most were between 12 and 30.  The rational comments came from the lower handicaps almost exclusively.

food for thought.

Bag:

Originally Posted by jamo

While that's true, I don't think the reasons are as "deep" as you seem to think. For me it's "that's the most comfortable thing they had at the store," or "all they had at the store was logo hats," "it was the cheapest hat that I liked."

yeah, I think that is a common thing but that begs the question: how did we get to this point?  I keep thinking somewhere at titleist their marketing department is laughing their arses off at how they've successfully dominated the hat market and made it nearly impossible to find good hats that don't promote their brand or their competitors.

Bag:

Note: This thread is 4666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!