IGNORED

2011 U.S. Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

What a performance.  I'd love for there to be a "true" number one and not just a statistical number one.  That was the greatest display of ball striking I think I've seen in a long time.  I really hope he has a tiger performance on the weekend and gets it done with style.  I'm a big red white and blue fan but also a huge golf fan as well.  I want someone to take over the game and play so much better than anyone else.  It is fun to see super human golf.

I would like if the next era was an era of a rivalry between Rory and some American... not sure which American yet...

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll be happy if that American isn't Ricky Fowler...at least until he learns how to dress.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'll be happy if that American isn't Ricky Fowler...at least until he learns how to dress.

Brandon

It won't be Ricky Fowler... I don't see him ever being an elite player but I think everyone has seen it in Rory for a while coming his swing is just nice.

• Upvote 1

:whistle:

first of all I love rorys swing (his long iron shots are a thing of beauty) but I just dont find myself rooting for him that much because of the European ryder cup thing. Same thing goes for most of the Eur[pean ryder cup guys although I do like lee westwood. It will be interesting to see what happens the next two days though.

Originally Posted by iacas

They've made "dickhead pairings" of three people nobody likes in the past.

It's fun and light-hearted. If anything, it might give some players advantages - playing with your brother might be a good situation for the Molinari pair, for example.

Lighten up, people. :-P

You're too polite, Iacas. According to John Feinstein, they're known as "prick pairings".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Yukari

I agree.  People need to lighten up and not get too caught up in trying to find a conspiracy where there is none.

But back to the topic...

What did AK do on the last hole?  I missed it.

i agree too, i think the pairings are fun when they play around.

The thing that does seems racist to me is when I watch golf from a couple decades ago with jack, miller etc. all of the caddies were black. Doesnt make sense to me.

yeah, i thought grouping(not pairing cause there's three of them) AK with two asian golfers, when he's american by birth was crossing the line. and considering the fact that ishikawa and yang are from different countries as well, i think they went over the top and should be called out on it. i wonder who they would have grouped tiger with if he was playing?

and yes, all the caddies in the south were black back in the day because it was a good way for a black man to make some money when without a superior education it was next to impossible to make the same as white counterparts. i don't think the fact that they were black was racist in itself, but the fact that they didn't have the same opportunities to play the same courses most definitely was. i come from a family of black golfers, professional and amateur who have experienced racism in golf, but we cannot hold the game itself accountable, or those who had absolutely nothing to do with it.

AK is asian in appearence, which makes him closer to Yang and Ishikawa than most guys. I don't see what the big fuzz is about. People should stop pulling the racism card all the time. [quote=Definition of racism] 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.[/quote] [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ]Morgan Freeman on the subject.[/URL]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

yeah, i thought grouping(not pairing cause there's three of them) AK with two asian golfers, when he's american by birth was crossing the line. and considering the fact that ishikawa and yang are from different countries as well, i think they went over the top and should be called out on it.

I think that probably the most offensive thing I have seen is Bubba Watson and his military get up this week. Absurd, to say the least. The idea of a highly paid athlete (and I know his father was in the military, so what?) getting dressed up with camo and stars etc. etc. to go and play golf makes me sick. If it's some kind of "tribute" it's lost on me, in the same way that people like Fowler (who I really like) have to curry favour with the institution they did their "degree" at.  Seems like mindless sucking up and guaranteeing yourself media coverage and fans. I just don't get it. I get a putter cover or a logo somewhere, but to drape yourself in it from head to toe seems cringeworthy to me.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Back to this again? In his interview immediately after the round he said he was just trying to land it on the right side of the green. He said that he got some grass caught between the club and the ball causing an unfortunate pull hook. Mickelson, on the other hand, decided the go for the glory shot and completely f*cked up when he should have just chipped out and tried to get up and down.
I don't care really but I find it strange in the way you see this. If anything Rory was the unlucky one (getting grass between club and ball) and phil was the over agressive one (hitting a 40 yard low swinging cut between 2 trees with no real gain to it).

Quote:

Rory was not aiming that far right maybe on tv it looked like it but I can say for certain he didn't miss his line by much. He just hit it bad and it came up way short but he was definitely trying to get back to the pin. Mickelson was unlucky because his ball could have easily kicked the other way and rolled back there. To be honest if I was Rory on 18 and I was hitting the ball that well there would be no reason to not try to get after it. Plus it's still his to lose so I don't know that it will matter much in the end.

Originally Posted by deasy55

Back to this again? In his interview immediately after the round he said he was just trying to land it on the right side of the green. He said that he got some grass caught between the club and the ball causing an unfortunate pull hook. Mickelson, on the other hand, decided the go for the glory shot and completely f*cked up when he should have just chipped out and tried to get up and down.

I don't care really but I find it strange in the way you see this. If anything Rory was the unlucky one (getting grass between club and ball) and phil was the over agressive one (hitting a 40 yard low swinging cut between 2 trees with no real gain to it).

Quote:

mate, im one of Rory's biggest fans and trust me, he was -13, 10 in front and was trying to get it back there close to the hole and try and cap off another awesome round but just didnt get all of it out of the rough.

anyways so what, he made a mistake but still leads by 6 going into the 3rd day of the US Open, im guessing he's not too bummed right now!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I know he made a mistake. I'm just curious as to why people think Mickelson didn't make a mistake

Originally Posted by mcfc_nick

mate, im one of Rory's biggest fans and trust me, he was -13, 10 in front and was trying to get it back there close to the hole and try and cap off another awesome round but just didnt get all of it out of the rough.

anyways so what, he made a mistake but still leads by 6 going into the 3rd day of the US Open, im guessing he's not too bummed right now!

Originally Posted by deasy55

Quote:

Finally got a chance to watch the replay of this.  I think both of them were trying to hit "great" shots and get it on the green.  Both were aggressive when they shouldn't have been, but Phil's shot was much riskier due to the flight path of his ball alone.  He made a great run at it, but still it wasn't enough because of how risky the shot was.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I was never a big Rory fan but he has won me over these past two days and I am rooting for him to win this! He is on fire right now, I hope he can keep it together through the weekend.

Is the sand trap going to host another Sunday chat like you did for The Masters? That was fun.

Edit: I have been sick the past two days so I basically watched the US open all day, why the hell does coverage start earlier on Thursday/Friday than on the weekend!! It makes no sense, I'd like to start watching now.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Shorty

I think that probably the most offensive thing I have seen is Bubba Watson and his military get up this week. Absurd, to say the least. The idea of a highly paid athlete (and I know his father was in the military, so what?) getting dressed up with camo and stars etc. etc. to go and play golf makes me sick. If it's some kind of "tribute" it's lost on me, in the same way that people like Fowler (who I really like) have to curry favour with the institution they did their "degree" at.  Seems like mindless sucking up and guaranteeing yourself media coverage and fans. I just don't get it. I get a putter cover or a logo somewhere, but to drape yourself in it from head to toe seems cringeworthy to me.

Bubba is raising money for charities that support the military and their families .

Your foot is the thing on the end of your leg, and your mouth is the thing into which you should be putting your foot.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

yeah, i thought grouping(not pairing cause there's three of them) AK with two asian golfers, when he's american by birth was crossing the line. and considering the fact that ishikawa and yang are from different countries as well, i think they went over the top and should be called out on it. i wonder who they would have grouped tiger with if he was playing?

I don't see the problem.  I thought it was (very mildly) amusing to group people together by country or region of origin, and while AK is American, he is (obviously) of Asian descent and they needed to fill out a threesome.  Simple awareness of race is not the same as racism.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I have been sick the past two days so I basically watched the US open all day, why the hell does coverage start earlier on Thursday/Friday than on the weekend!! It makes no sense, I'd like to start watching now.

Because the players tee off earlier on thursday and friday, they tee off on both front nine and back nine, allowing the producers to give us footage from a larger amount of players.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!