IGNORED

Stories of broken glass or close calls.

darkhunter139
Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing a round with my cousin the other day and he almost put one through the club house window on the 18th hole.  He was hitting out of the rough and shanked it pretty badly, luckily a rogue tree branch saved him from a lot of embarrassment.  So how close have you come to putting your ball through a car, house, or  club house window?

Sorry if there has been threads like this before, I don't recall seeing one.

I was playing at mcleansboro golf course on the 2nd hole, a par 5 and the green is just short of the clubhouse and parking lot. I hit my 3rd shot hot over the green and bounced around in the gravel parking lot and went right under a truck parked out there, no damage but close call.   At colonial golf course in sandoval also on the 2nd hole which is also a par 5 ive hooked my 2nd shot left before into the open door of the members cart storage shed but didnt hit anything important.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

I was playing Stonebridge earlier this year, one of the hole (I dont remeber which one) was a par 4 dog-leg right. I was going to play my slice and hit a driver off the tee.  Stonebridge is right in the middle of an upper class neighborhood, and I nailed the straightest drive of my life. The only problem is that it was headed straight for a house. I didnt hear a crash and I couldnt see any damage or my ball. So I took a drop, but I was also positive that I blasted that million dollar home...

Driver:  taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 2.0, 10.5 Stiff Flex

3 Wood: taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 2.0 Stiff Flex

Hybrids - adams.gif A4 19 and 22 degree Stiff Flex

Irons - nike.gif  Forged Combo 5-PW & SW

Wedge  - vokey.gif Spin Milled Tour Chrome  60.07

Putter - cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2, 34 inch & cameron.gifCalifornia Series Monterey 34 inch

Ball - titleist.gif NXT Tour

At the course I used to work at their is the main road to the clubhouse that runs inbetween the first and second holes.

I had just started golfing so I was pretty horrendously bad. The club had just hired a new Landscaper to a hundred thousand dollar contract to maintain the Condos on the property and right as I hit my tee shot on the first his brand new fully decked out  Ford F250 comes rolling down the road and my high slice is heading right for it.

I had visions of cracking the windshield but luckily my ball landed right in the bed of his truck and im not sure if it bounced out or stayed in there because he didnt stop and I didnt want to go looking, just pretended like it never happened lol.

• Upvote 1
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

One of the first times I went golfing with my bro-in-laws we were playing at a club that he is a member at. It was the first time I had played on a private course. It winds through a neighborhood, not super nice, but decent homes and I slice a drive into the houses. I was waiting for the plunk off the roof and all of the sudden I heard shattering glass!! I was mortified! We went up there and the guys neighbor is waiting out there for me. He starts laying into me and then the owner comes out. I guess I had landed the ball on the glass top patio table that had some flower pots on it. He was pretty cool about it and I went over and swept it up after my round. I was pretty scared though!

Another time, one of my friends and I were playing with my dad and on number 9 coming back to the clubhouse we have about a 175 yard par 3. My buddy totally overshot the green, hit the cart path and it bounced up on the grass right in front of the clubhouse. He proceeds to go up there and chip in across the cart path for birdie! I couldn't believe it, probably the luckiest shot I have ever seen!

I was playing a course called Lakeside Greens last season. The course fairways are LINED with houses and streets.

I was in a fairway bunker 140 out. I hit my 9 iron, skulled it over the green, bounced on the road, off a guy's welder in his driveway, over his brand new Dodge Ram, off the top of a metal fence ( yes, off the top which is like an inch wide ), then bounced down the road and down a drain.

As soon as I skulled it I was running after it and stood at the back of the green like WTF

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Hit plenty of sprayed shots at various courses over the years. Lot's of "THUNKS" when it hit a roof or wall, but no windows so far. BUT- I never feel too guilty about it on a course that's built with condo's lining the fairways- they bought the house and have to KNOW that a ball or two will make an appearance. Only had one bad experience over it. Owner yelling and screaming about a ball that hit his house. We reminded him that he lives on a GOLF COURSE, and what was he expecting, hockey pucks?

Originally Posted by RayG

Hit plenty of sprayed shots at various courses over the years. Lot's of "THUNKS" when it hit a roof or wall, but no windows so far. BUT- I never feel too guilty about it on a course that's built with condo's lining the fairways- they bought the house and have to KNOW that a ball or two will make an appearance. Only had one bad experience over it. Owner yelling and screaming about a ball that hit his house. We reminded him that he lives on a GOLF COURSE, and what was he expecting, hockey pucks?

Just remember, at many courses lined with houses that the golfer is the one responsible for any damage that the cause... not the course and not the property owner.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On several of the courses/developments I play in Florida, it is the opposite. The golfers are NOT responsible (well, they are responsible for the bad shot) for damages. The HOA's require that they sign a waiver stating that they realize that they live on a golf course, and as such can expect these things. Also, the HOA's will sometimes require that your insurance cover these things. Unless it was an obvious attempt at damage or injury, they can't force a golfer to pay up. On a course that has houses OFF it's property, but adjacent to fairways and such, the rules are different.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Just remember, at many courses lined with houses that the golfer is the one responsible for any damage that the cause... not the course and not the property owner.

Yea, I understand that the golfer is and should be responsible for any damage however it always struck me as odd that homeowners who have a house on a course would be surprised and angry when something gets broken. I mean, it is a golf course after all.

I have a repressed memory that just came too.

When I was like 10 or so years old, my mom thought that Golf Lessons would be a good way to keep me away from the N64 in the afternoons. So I had my junior clubs and we were in a group lesson with about 20 kids or so.

It was a brutal 100+ outside and I was sweating alot. Of course I didnt have a glove or anything and the instructor wasn't ever around much. I took a huge swing with my iron and SWOOOOOSHHHHH it goes flying out of my hand. About 150ft behind and 30ft in the Air. It landed on the aluminum roof of the Tractor barn behind me which made the loudest noise imaginable and I swear everyone at the course stopped and tried to figure out what just happened.

The only person who saw it was me was my buddy so we both just kind of kept our  mouths shut lol!

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I hit my own car in the parking lot once. That was quite a shank.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I was golfing with my friends once on my local course that runs through a housing development. Not the type where there's houses in the general area, but where there's the fairway, about 40 feet of rough, a fence, 40 feet of backyard, and then a house. We were on the 21th tee and he hit a low push slice that went OB and hit a house. It didn't sound like a roof, but nothing broke. I got up on the teebox right behind him and also hit a low push slice that went OB and hit the exact same house in the exact same area and made the exact same sound. Again, nothing broke. We were almost doubled over laughing, thinking that if anyone was home there must think that we'd been throwing balls at their house or something. You can't intentionally do that sort of thing. :-P

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by jamo

Haha that's hilarious, although if I had to hit a car I'd rather it be my own.  That way you don't have to wait and tell the car owner about it

Originally Posted by jamo

Thats why i never take the closest parking spot on a course with a green close to the parking lot.   If i hit one over im at least going to hit someone else's car.

6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge

Originally Posted by RayG

On several of the courses/developments I play in Florida, it is the opposite. The golfers are NOT responsible (well, they are responsible for the bad shot) for damages. The HOA's require that they sign a waiver stating that they realize that they live on a golf course, and as such can expect these things. Also, the HOA's will sometimes require that your insurance cover these things. Unless it was an obvious attempt at damage or injury, they can't force a golfer to pay up.

On a course that has houses OFF it's property, but adjacent to fairways and such, the rules are different.

I remember on one episode of the barkley haney project, barkley says if you have a house on a golf course you should expect to get hit.  I guess if you're a guy the size of barkley and you do it, i doubt the owner would say much anyway if he didnt know who barkley was.

Originally Posted by SouthernILGolfer

I remember on one episode of the barkley haney project, barkley says if you have a house on a golf course you should expect to get hit.  I guess if you're a guy the size of barkley and you do it, i doubt the owner would say much anyway if he didnt know who barkley was.

I live on a course and the homeowners association has a yearly levy that goes into a fund to cover any damages resulting from errant shots. You'd have to hit it backwards between your own legs off the 11th tee to hit our house, but I don't mind paying up since I've put a few balls into other residents' yards myself.

Best I've seen was a playing partner duck hooking his drive into one of the nicer properties on the estate and it must have landed in an interior courtyard because we all heard it ping-pong around two or three times before it went through a window and set off the very loud burglar alarm. By the time we were walking off the tee, two armed response company vans were already burning rubber around the corner on their way to the scene. (This is South Africa, and effective law enforcement is largely privatized.) We played ready golf up that fairway!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!